PDA

View Full Version : Best\Cheapest monitor for HD

Infinity666
11-09-05, 01:23 AM
I have recently downloaded some movies in hd and realized that my monitor sucks ass. I dont think Hd was a big thing 10yrs ago when my philips 15' was made and isnt capable of 720p let alone 1080i/p.

So I was wondering what is the cheapest\best monitor that is 1080p capable ? cheap is good!!!!!!

Ive included some screenshots of a couple of the movies the quality is amazing

pakotlar
11-09-05, 06:19 PM
Go on ebay and grab a Sony FWD900 24" 16:10 CRT display or the rebranded HP (model A7217A). The seller is very reliable. I just got mine a week ago, and it is amazing. I can run 1920*1200 @ 95hz, but am running @ 85 since to get 95 I have to use powerstrip and that messes with a few proggies. Neways, I run HL2 @ 1680*1050 @ 95hz, same with Quake 4, Far Cry, and they look amazing. Haven't tried 1920*1200 in those as I dont think my x800xl is up for it.

btw: These are off-lease monitors. I talked to Lou about it, and basically he bought a bunch of systems from a company that had tons of these laying around. They were used by greaphics professionals, and are in top notch shape. Mine has perfectly readable text @ 1920*1200, no color convergence issues (after a bit of tweaking) spot on gamut, is very bright, and very deep blacks. The Sony model retailed for 2500 in 2002, the HP was a bit cheaper at about 2200. I got mine for 225 (picked up directly from Lou).

Infinity666
11-09-05, 07:12 PM
Thanks those monitors look sweet:eek:
too bad there so heavy but if i get the dough it looks like one of those is the next monitor for me

pakotlar
11-11-05, 01:53 AM
Yeah they are heavy, I had a bit of trouble carrying it myself, but it is worse with 2 people, as the monitor is too slim for two people to comfortably carry it up a couple flights of stairs...neways doable for sure :) The only complaints I have with the monitor at this point is that: 1) I can't get windows to support 1920*1200 @ 95hz without powerstrip (have to settle for 1920*1200*85) and 2)It takes 30 min to warm up after u keep it off for a while. #1 is only an issue if 85hz bothers you (doesn't bother me) and/or you can't live with powerstrip. I personally can't stand powerstrip for custom res stuff, because the current build has issues with certain programs, where the monitor will click off and then back on (winamp for instance!). The warm up period doesnt really bother me either, and if you run a screen saver there are no issues.

But let me tell you man, gaming has never been sweeter. I used to game on a Dell 1905FPW, and I owned for a time the new Bravia 32" Sony 8ms display, as well as the 34" XBR960 HD CRT display, and this one blows those out of the water. As far as pure image quality goes, colors, contrasts, everythign is dead on. The 34" CRT had serious convergence issues that I couldnt fix even in service menu (obviously an ISF calibration would do the trick). This 24" has some convergence issues, especially in the corners, but compared to ANY other CRT display, it would be considered flawless. Text is perfectly legible from 2-3 feet back @ 1920*1200, even stuff on the taskbar.

With a little tweaking, all of these convergence issues (for the most part) dissapear, and you are left with an amazing quality image. The only reason I would ever consider a 2405 is for a slightly larger viewable area, and the component inputs. The component inputs arent a big deal as you can get a DVI-VGA cable and connect Comcast digital cable to the spare VGA port, or use this port for Xbox360. Unless you need HDCP this fits the bill (and 2405 doesn't offer HDCP either). Snag the BNC-5 cable from him (he charged me 25 bucks) because it is a nice, quality cable (same one sony shipped with the monitors I believe). I just got done playing some HL2 @ 1680*1050 2xAA/8xAF, and it was incredible. Age of Empires 3 looks sweet, and Civ 4 has never been more immersive. For 1/4 the price of a new 2405FPW, this is a no brainer. GET IT!!!! hehe

ps: This endorsment is sponsored fully by Alex Kotlar.

ps2: Movies look sick as well. I bought The Living Sea WMVHD and it looks amazing.

Rakeesh
11-11-05, 09:32 AM
I have recently downloaded some movies in hd and realized that my monitor sucks ass. I dont think Hd was a big thing 10yrs ago when my philips 15' was made and isnt capable of 720p let alone 1080i/p.

So I was wondering what is the cheapest\best monitor that is 1080p capable ? cheap is good!!!!!!

Ive included some screenshots of a couple of the movies the quality is amazing

The biggest monitor with a true 1080p input that I know of is the 37" Westinghouse LVM-37W1. There are bigger 1080p screens, but they can't take 1080p input; rather only 1080i input. Also, that one can be found for $1800 at bestbuy, so it is relatively cheap.

Infinity666
11-12-05, 02:33 AM
The biggest monitor with a true 1080p input that I know of is the 37" Westinghouse LVM-37W1. There are bigger 1080p screens, but they can't take 1080p input; rather only 1080i input. Also, that one can be found for $1800 at bestbuy, so it is relatively cheap.

Thanks for the info but the sony looks like the way to go as i am broke and dont want to spend more then like 350$ and wanted a traditional direct view crt they give best image quality IMO.

chowells
11-12-05, 08:22 AM
Wow, the Sony FWD900 looks utterly stunning. Such a shame it's discontinued and hardly available in the UK -- only a few on eBay which didn't appeal to me. CRTs seem to be basically unavailable now with everywhere selling LCDs. Annoying since I still like the image quality and flexibility over resolutions that a CRT gives.

Mathesar
11-12-05, 08:57 AM
I currently own a FW900 and it is indeed a superb monitor , Its a damn shame Sony stopped producing PC CRT monitors especially after seeing this one in person. Cant wait to see what Xbox360 looks like connected via VGA.

HD material looks amazing on this monitor as well , the color & grey scale accuracy is spot on ,You wont be disappointed.

Few pics I took:
http://ded.zenblue.net//HL2_1280x800rs.jpg
http://ded.zenblue.net/CoD2.jpg
http://ded.zenblue.net/FW900fcr.jpg
http://ded.zenblue.net/FW900/MiB_1080i.jpg

chowells
11-12-05, 12:20 PM
I don't think you could ever comprehend how jealous I am after seeing those pics :)

123lanoix
11-13-05, 06:05 PM
Yea i looked this up on ebay there going for like 300 bucks buy now
and there off lease from somebody in lawrence MA
i live in maine so iam thinking about just taking the hour drive and picking it saving 100 bucks for shipping
looks like a good deal but whats the depth of these monitors will it fit on my desk i got a 19inch veiwsonic 19af i believe is the model
i was think lcd cuz i don't have much space but lcd look like crap to me
my parents have a brand new dell 15 inch lcd and and bf 2 tears in the game i don't wan tto deal with that crap espcially if iam paying 300 to 350

Infinity666
11-14-05, 03:09 AM
those screens are beautiful ;)