PDA

View Full Version : Problems with new rig, 7800gt, some help please!

Pages : [1] 2

aggememnon
11-09-05, 04:40 PM
Hi guys, long time reader of the forums, recently built a new machine and am having a very frustrating problem, so I figured I'd post here and see if any of you gurus could help out.

General system specs are:

MSI K8N Neo4 Plat SLI Mobo
AMD Ath 4000+
2x OCZ 1 gig 400DDR ram
Evga 7800 gt pci express
wd raptor

I have updated every driver I can think of, turned off onboard sound, nvida ethernet, etc. I am not a total newb but this is getting to be over my head. Nothing is overclocked, I've just installed windows, drivers and some games.

The specific problem I am encountering is happening in the 2 games i've tested, WoW and Battlefront. In WoW, at what seems random duration, the video locks up. I can ctrl-alt-del and get a window but no mouse. The game is still running though, I can hear sound, music and can hear myself move around/cast spells if I use keyboard. Sometimes it will unfreeze the video, sometimes it wont and i have to hard reboot.

Battlefront is doing something similar, randomly it will freeze, audio and video for 10 seconds then keep going.

Other than these problems, the system runs great. Windows screams. The mobo is running at 37 degrees C which seems ok. I've tried alternating ram and slots, its in 1 and 3 atm for dual channel so I dunno if its a ram issue. Personally it feels like its bottlenecking and just dying, but as i said this is over my head.

If anyone has some solutions or ideas it would be -greatly- appriciated. I am running the current nforce/nvidia drivers btw.

Thanks much!

Adam

Idoru
11-09-05, 06:17 PM
Tried updating the BIOS on the GPU?

OWA
11-09-05, 06:27 PM
What are some of the games that you've tried that actually work correctly or are you having problems with all of them?

aggememnon
11-09-05, 06:29 PM
I've only tried WoW and Battlefront, and both are messing up, im almost exact ways.

aggememnon
11-09-05, 06:30 PM
I read the 6800gt sticky, seems similar, but different card so not sure how to turn off fast writes etc, if thats even the problem.

aggememnon
11-09-05, 06:57 PM
I have not updated the Bios on the gpu, was worried about voiding warranty and I have never done that before on my previous 3 rigs so am a tad amprehensive to try w/o good instructions =\

OWA
11-09-05, 06:58 PM
It won't be the same issue as the 6800s. You're using PCI-express and fastwrites are only on AGP based systems.

aggememnon
11-09-05, 06:59 PM
Hmm....any good links on how to update GPU or should I just RMA the sob :)

1xm1n
11-09-05, 10:14 PM
RMA and get ATI.

Nvidia are like Sony in every way. They like to think and brainwash people into thinking they have the best product but they dont, not even close.

I bought a 7800GTX ( my first time ever with Nvidia ) and its useless.

Get ATI and you will be fine.
Get Nvidia and you will be in hell.

NightFire
11-09-05, 10:37 PM
You could try this site:

http://www.mvktech.net/content/category/4/67/37/

Peoples-Agent
11-10-05, 12:29 AM
RMA and get ATI.

Nvidia are like Sony in every way. They like to think and brainwash people into thinking they have the best product but they dont, not even close.

I do hope you were kidding right? ....surely lol

Otherwise.....
Yeah, go and spend more on an 1800XL and play games the way they were never meant to be, slower .....and with fake gimmick compressions that will soon be null.

Peoples-Agent
11-10-05, 12:33 AM
I would also check what forceware version your using.

I got a feeling its the motherboard bios that needs updating, heard of a similar issue before. Apparently, these days updating that doesnt seem to have ill effect on warranty, but I would still check.

nVidiaGuru
11-10-05, 01:40 AM
RMA and get ATI.

^most computers are useless when you dont know how to use one retard :retard:

now some useful information.... go to www.evga.com register your card

in this thread -> http://www.evga.com/Community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8247 you will find a link to the bios update for your GT

FLASHING THE BIOS WILL NOT VOID THE WARRANTY ..... assuming its from evga which this one is

when you click the link it will take you to a page and it asks for the cards serial number....type it in and d/l the floppy drive method.

Put a blank floppy in and run the .exe you just downloaded. It will copy all the files you need to the floppy

reboot and set your floppy as the first boot device if needed. The floppy will automaticlly boot and run nvflash and flash your card. You do not need to do anything once nvflash has started. It will say when the flash is complete. then simply remove the floppy, reboot, and your done. You *MAY* need to reinstall the video drivers, i cant remember if i had to or not

Also check MSI's website for an updated bios for your motherboard

which version of windows are you running? what chipset and graphics drivers are you using?

aggememnon
11-10-05, 08:50 AM
Thank you very much guys! I will try to flash the GPU today.

I assume forcewearis the Nvidia chipset drivers for mobo? If so I updated those as well with newest version...Ill go see which I have. THis is all somewhat new to me, I've never had to mess with any of my computers before heh. Guess I used all my luck up.

As for motherboard bios, I used MSI Live update to search, and install the newest version (or so it says). I could go manually do it I suppose if for some reason the live update isnt doing it correctly.

I might try the other PCI-e slot too, I dont think heat is an issue, the gpu/main proc are running really cool, even during peak times.

nVidiaGuru
11-10-05, 12:17 PM
Forceware refers to the graphics drivers and Nforce refers to the chipset drivers

For Windows XP 32bit the latest drivers are:
forceware v81.85: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.85.html
nforce v6.70: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.70.html

and here is the latest BIOS for your motherboard
v3.7 http://216.158.218.35/edoc/bios_uploads/7100v37.zip

and MSI's bios flashing guide -> http://www.msicomputer.com/support/BIOS_AMI.asp

after you flash your mobo make sure you clear the settings to default

1. unplug the powercord
2. remove the battery
3. set the cmos jumper to clear
4. wait about 10-15 min
5. replace battery
6. move cmos jumper back
7. plug the comp in and turn it on
8. bring up the bios and load the default settings and reboot

after all that then go in and change what bios settings you need to

aggememnon
11-10-05, 02:14 PM
Im running all those drivers...just flashed GPU and installed newest nvidia drivers and it locked up in first 30 seconds of battlefront...sigh.

aggememnon
11-10-05, 02:23 PM
Im runnin memtest86 at a request of a friend atm, no clue what to look for tho, any other suggestions?

aggememnon
11-10-05, 03:10 PM
memtest completed, no errors. Im thinking its just a bad card.

nVidiaGuru
11-10-05, 05:06 PM
have you tried any other versions of drivers?

i would give these a try
forceware 78.01 http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_78.01.html
nforce 6.66 http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.66.html

be sure to use driver cleaner after you uninstall the current drivers your using

driver cleaner d/l -> http://www.drivercleaner.net/

after uninstalling current drivers reboot then hit f8 and go into safe mode and run driver cleaner for all the nvidia categories

aggememnon
11-10-05, 05:46 PM
I have tried a few other versions yes...I will try those and use that cleaner....thanks for your help man, really appriciate it. Will post results when I can get to my comp.

aggememnon
11-10-05, 06:19 PM
Removed drivers, cleaned and installed those suggested....runing WoW now...sometimes takes hour or so to lock up so ill keep you posted.

aggememnon
11-10-05, 07:20 PM
WoW is running more stable, Battlefront just locked up again...sigh.

I may try some other games i guess.

Ive found some other threads on nvida site that has alot of people with same problem, something to do with NForce drivers and dual-core systems. They all rolled back drivers to fix it, same as I but didnt work ; ; this is so frustrating. I even wonder if a new card will fix the problem.

nVidiaGuru
11-10-05, 09:00 PM
ohhhhhhhh you have a dual core cpu? in that case if you set the game to run on 1 cpu it should run correctly w/o lockups

there are programs that allow you to set the cpu affinity but one way to test is start the game then alt-ctrl-delete and under the processes tab right click the games .exe and at the bottom click on "set affinity" and choose either cpu0 or cpu1

rolling back to 70xx series drivers should have fixed it.....you said WoW is working correctly now? there may be a driver issue with battlefront in all drivers which would suck.

a new card wont fix it AFAIK. i have the same issue with some games and not others but the newer drivers have fixed some of the games......try the 81.89's ive done some limited testing with them today and havent had a lockup yet

aggememnon
11-10-05, 10:11 PM
Er, well I had assume it was dual core, but when i right click on the proccess i dont have a set affinity option....its an AMD64 4000+ i know that much.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103529

Thats what I have guess its not dual core... I did update my AMD proc drivers tho. /shrug

nVidiaGuru
11-11-05, 02:23 AM
ya they skip 4000+ with the dual cores...it goes 3800 then 4200 for the duals

I didnt think about updating the amd driver, that definitely might help the situation.

ill have to put my thinking cap on...maybe i missed somethin else?