PDA

View Full Version : Halo & Halo 2 Playable In 720p w/ AA on 360

GamerGuyX
11-09-05, 10:38 PM
Check out the good news:

http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=h2anniversary&p=5312619

First things first: Thank you for supporting Bungie, Halo and Halo 2. You guys rock, and we love you. It's the anniversary of Halo 2, the game that launched on November 9th, 2004 and forever changed the way we curse.

A year after Halo 2 arrived in stores, and almost four years since the original Halo, it seems only logical that we should make them prettier right? Although that prettiness has a relatively high entry point the arrival of a new generation of hardware in the shape of the Xbox 360.

A while back, Microsoft announced that the 360 would have some level of backward compatibility. A handy feature for folks with big Xbox collections moving into the future. We worked closely with that team to ensure that Halo and Halo 2 both performed according to plan. That meant a lot of work for our test team.

To clarify, the "new" version of Halo or Halo 2 is simply the disk you have already. Pop it into your 360 and it'll load up just like before. You will have to log into Xbox Live to enable Halo 2's online functions, but both games will work immediately.

But here's another bonus the hardware in the 360 can do a lot of nifty stuff, and specifically in the cases of Halo and Halo 2, it can display the graphics in wide screen, at 720p, with full scene anti-aliasing. And it doesn't look kludgy, artifacty or smeary like an upscanning DVD player. The best way to describe it is that both games look like they're running on a PC at those resolutions.

We'll have some more information about these resolutions on Friday.

Now, to reiterate, we didn't redo any of the old textures or geometry this is simply the game you already own, running at a higher resolution. The results are not miraculous, but for owners of HDTVs (or VGA monitors with the appropriate cable) they are sweet.

Do they work on Live? Like we already explained, they work exactly as they did before that means System Link and split-screen for Halo, but of course - no Live play (just like before!) and for Halo 2 System Link, Xbox Live and split screen as before. And yes, your existing Gamertag and Live Account will work just fine. I should note that split screen in 720p has obvious benefits.

Awesome. :D

|MaguS|
11-10-05, 12:46 AM
Nice

Edge
11-10-05, 04:46 AM
Holy crap, I'm impressed. I didn't think any Xbox games would recieve graphical enhancements on the Xbox 360, and now it turns out the Halo games will be running at over 3 times the resolution with AA. This is great news, especially to split-screen players. Now each screen will have almost as high a resolution as the original game had for the entire screen (or more, in 2-player splitscreen). Considering Halo 2 already looked pretty impressive at times, I can't wait to see how it will look now.

Although I do have to nitpick a little...why is the 720p shot of the Halo 2 cinimatic missing certain things like the soldiers' side-bags and some bump-mapping (particularly the black areas of MC's armor)?

|MaguS|
11-10-05, 06:03 AM
My only concern is if it will run smoothly since its technically emulating everything and well emulation is always slower and requires more then three times the requirements to run smooth.

Edge
11-10-05, 06:15 AM
But almost all performance concerns when dealing with emulation are on the CPU-side rather than GPU. That's why in almost every case of PC emulators, you can crank up the resolution even with a fairly slow videocard and the game still wouldn't run much worse. So in this case, I doubt cranking up the resolution will make much of a difference when the GPU in the Xbox 360 is probably 20x as fast. Hell, Dolphin runs the Gamecube pretty much the same whether you play it at 640x480 or 1600x1200 (and by "the same", I mean "just as slow" ;)).

brady
11-10-05, 06:34 AM
This is great! Finally I can play Halo with some level of AA enabled. I was so miffed when I picked up the PC version only to find that I could not enable AA at all.

|MaguS|
11-10-05, 06:41 AM
But almost all performance concerns when dealing with emulation are on the CPU-side rather than GPU. That's why in almost every case of PC emulators, you can crank up the resolution even with a fairly slow videocard and the game still wouldn't run much worse. So in this case, I doubt cranking up the resolution will make much of a difference when the GPU in the Xbox 360 is probably 20x as fast. Hell, Dolphin runs the Gamecube pretty much the same whether you play it at 640x480 or 1600x1200 (and by "the same", I mean "just as slow" ;)).

Um Emulation is only on the CPU side if the software wasn't coded with plugins to take advantage of the GPU. Play any PSX or N64 emulator that uses plugins. When enabling high end features in an N64 emulator performance can bottom out, I remember having issues with a Geforce 3 till I got my 9800pro.

Dolphin is 100% CPU, it doesn't use any GPU at all. Actually I don't think theres any Current Gen Emulator that uses GPU Plugins. Try the Dreamcast emulator, it runs good for the most part but once Resolution goes up it starts showing performance issues, heck it even has tons of graphical flaws aswell.

Edge
11-10-05, 10:01 AM
Um Emulation is only on the CPU side if the software wasn't coded with plugins to take advantage of the GPU. Play any PSX or N64 emulator that uses plugins. When enabling high end features in an N64 emulator performance can bottom out, I remember having issues with a Geforce 3 till I got my 9800pro.
Err, I played N64 emulators perfectly smoothly on a Voodoo 3 at 1024x768. And virtually EVERY 3d emulator uses the GPU, I've never seen a totally software-based N64 emulator.

Dolphin is 100% CPU, it doesn't use any GPU at all. Actually I don't think theres any Current Gen Emulator that uses GPU Plugins.
Then why in the world would Dolphin require a GPU with at least PS2.0 capability?

DaveW
11-11-05, 09:10 PM
This is great! Finally I can play Halo with some level of AA enabled. I was so miffed when I picked up the PC version only to find that I could not enable AA at all.

Yes you could, you had to change something in the config file to enable it though.

GamerGuyX
11-12-05, 02:31 PM
Yes you could, you had to change something in the config file to enable it though.

What would I have to change. I also wanted to play Halo on the PC with AA. If you foce it, it gives you the performance hit but without the smooth edges.

brady
11-12-05, 05:09 PM
Yeah I tried several things and could never get it to work. It was my understanding that it could not be done.

Sazar
11-12-05, 05:34 PM
Nice. If this is true for other games too, this could be an awesome move.

But, I wanna see ACTUAL screenshots for proof.

Remember ps/ps2?

Edge
11-12-05, 06:05 PM
Nice. If this is true for other games too, this could be an awesome move.

But, I wanna see ACTUAL screenshots for proof.
Err, they show several screenshots in the article that's linked to at the top of this thread...

Sazar
11-12-05, 06:32 PM
Err I would like to see screenshots of the game when it is released looking like that. If you read the article alongside the screenies they explain the hoops they jumped through to get those shots and how it will possibly vary.

:)

I have a library of games and I would love for them to look great and take advantage of the benefits but I want to see it working.