PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Partitioning Help Needed

Q
11-09-05, 11:13 PM
Google sucks.
Search sucks.
Searching Adrian's Crackpot sucks.

I'm going to format soon. I want the best performance and data integrity with the least amount of fragmentation on my HD.

I want (from what I've read is the best thing to do...)
Windows on one partition
Program Files on the other

Simple enough, right? My question is how big should I make the Windows partition to make sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Windows isn't going to go ubergay on me and flunk out. Of course I don't want it to be taking up 10+ gigs for no reason, either.

Looking at my Windows folder size right now, its sitting at 2.7 gigs. And thats with a LOT of programs installed (the start menu's programs fills 3+ collumns at 1280x1024) and general bloat on my system.

I was thinking 5 gigs is more than enough for what I'm planning on doing. I've heard 4, but I'm not sure. Would someone who does this or something similiar comment? Any ideas?

retsam
11-09-05, 11:44 PM
ok ...1) you are always gonna have fragmentation,...always...
2) just go with NTFS and format it to the fullest size... having two partitions doesnt speed up anything or helpout anything...just make it easy on your self and make it one partition... having small partitions was good back in the day were we had 500meg HDD's and you didnt want to waist valuble disk space...now with the huge spaces we have it doesnt make much sence...just make it easy on your self and go with one partition...

retsam
11-09-05, 11:45 PM
oh ya this is why your not finding anything of any value on the web ...because there is no longer value in keeping the partitions small..

TierMann
11-10-05, 12:23 AM
I agree with retsam on this, but if you're set on doing it I know HP uses a 7gig partition for it's System Recovery which is just a full install of XP with a bunch of HP bloat added. It just copies that whole thing over to the windows partiton. If you're putting the pagefile or anything else on that partion I would go atleast 12gigs.

I don't even do this in linux anymore. I've gotten into the habbit of just using a 2gb file for swap space. Partitions get to be a PITA when you've got 3 OS's installed and each needs more than one partition.

Daydre@m
11-10-05, 01:57 AM
In my opinion it all depends on your general preferences and usage . My C drive is 20 gigs , since i am a download freak and use encyclopedias and stuff , so i need it all . ATM only 1.83GiG is free . As far as fragmantation is concerned i use diskeeper with system mechanic . Run 'em once every week or two and system runs good as new .

Q
11-10-05, 06:30 AM
I know there will always be fragmentation, and I do remember the importance of small parition sizes in the old days. I have no idea where I read it recently about people splitting up their drives like that.

Well, thanks for saving me the hassle, guys.

Drumphil
11-10-05, 07:12 AM
putting your swap file or programs on a different partition on the same drive just means the drive heads have to go back and forth a lot further as they access a mixture of windows, programs and swap.

rewt
11-10-05, 09:20 AM
I use 8 or 10 GB partition for Windows. Then I put the page file and games on another volume which uses RAID 0 array. All My Documents are stored on a RAID 1 array so if one hard disk fails I still have copy of my important stuff. Best part is if I have to format and reinstall Windows I don't have to format an entire drive. Boy what a pain in the arse that would be...

Gnu_Raiz
11-10-05, 11:40 AM
;) I think that partitioning is a good thing, if for no other reason is backup. My Windows partition is about 10 gig, yeah I could of got less, but disk space is something I have a lot of.

I also have a game partition, as well as an application partition. I must say that I do have a second drive for swap, as well as any downloads, or tv shows, or movies. To me it just makes sense to use partitions. If I want to back up say my game files it takes up less space, and disks, that way its easier to keep thinks straight.

Gnu_Raiz

retsam
11-10-05, 11:49 AM
I think that partitioning is a good thing, if for no other reason is backup.backup ? you still have a single point of failure... the hard drive... if you were talking about raid level 1 then i would agree...but with level 1 you loose speed. to me its not worth the extra time...just create a folder for movies music...what ever ...its the very same thing...

nVestor
11-10-05, 02:41 PM
I have a 120GB drive and I always just use 20GB for C: partition. The rest I will do a split at times. Currently, I have my G: partition at 40GB for my games. My M: partition is for miscellaneous crap which includes downloads, patches, whatever.

I always try to keep as little as possible on the C: parition. I try to maintain 60% or greater resources left on each partition. If I need to reformat, I just delete the C: partition in Windows setup, then recreate it and reformat. Meanwhile everything is still where it needs to be unless I need to reformat those, which can be done from within Computer Management.

My rule is if you have less than 30GB HDD, you are not going to see any benefit from a partitioning scheme. I can tell a difference doing this, so I could care less what others might have to say about it. Try it out on your own and see what'cha think.

*I need to delete some movies I ripped onto my hdd. Even though my kids are careful, I still rather they watch copies instead of my originals.:D

j0j081
11-11-05, 08:54 PM
This is how I setup my system recently.
Drive 1
C: Windows and apps - 20 GB
D: Games - 167 GB
Drive 2
E: Backup/Storage/Pagefile - 80 GB
works great because my game installations never get fragmented by my downloads and/or apps I am trying out.

rewt
11-12-05, 03:04 PM
just create a folder for movies music...what ever ...its the very same thing...

What happens if you put all your movies, music...what ever all on the same partition as Windows, and then all of a sudden Windows has a fatal crash and no longer boots up?

Second, what happens if you put all your movies, music...what ever on a different partition as Windows and then all of a sudden Windows has a fatal crash and no longer boots up?

Third, what happens if you put all your movies, music...what ever on a RAID 1 partition and not only does Windows crash but an entire Hard Disk Fails?

To me, data recovery in all of those situations are very different things. Just simply creating a folder most resembles the first option, and its something I personally would never do with any of my important data.