PDA

View Full Version : Second guessing X1800XT purchase, need nVidia forum help.

Pages : [1] 2

dceremuga
11-11-05, 07:46 AM
Please, don't ride on me about coming here for help. This is about the most user friendly forum I know for any video card owner.

I purchased a X1800XT card which should arrive today (thus I can still return it). I am second guessing my purchase because of the strong showing of the GTX 512. I've always purchased ATI because in my mind I've always gotten great IQ and framerates, without any stuttering or framerate dips in heavy graphic areas. I've gone this route in the past few years:

9700 pro
9800 Pro
9800XT
X800XTPE
nVidia 6800 Ultra (returned) had stuttering and shimmering textures.
X850XTPE

Now I've finally got my PCI-E motherboard and have the options of SLI, so my options are now open. I don't want to lose what I've enjoyed with my ATI card, which has been flawless gaming. BUT, I don't want to have buyers remorse 2 weeks from now after the dust has settled. So I am asking for honest advice. Should I stick with the X1800XT and settle for the spanking it will probably endure from the GTX 512 and be happy with it, because it is a good card and should give me the performance that I need and peace of mind? Or should I return it and get the GTX 512.

I game at typically 1024x768 with all features and eye candy on. I am moving move towards 1280x960. I like HL2, Doom, Unreal, and RTS games. I have a very VERY high end system now, my sig may be out of date, so here it is:
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD 4800+
4 Gigs Corsair XMS LL RAM
4x WD 400 gig server SATA drives
560 WATT power supply
2x Plextor 716A dvd drives
Water cooled by Exos.

List goes on.

Now please. Some honest opinions. Speed isn't all i'm looking for.

Blacklash
11-11-05, 07:52 AM
EDIT: After reading your further comments in this thread and your qualified situation, I'd say just keep the X1800XT. It will do everything you want it to do.

webmal
11-11-05, 07:54 AM
I game at typically 1024x768 with all features and eye candy on.

That's a pathetic resolution for such high end cards. You can game with all features and eye candy on with a lowly 7800GT @ 1024x768 :rolleyes:

gsgrunt
11-11-05, 08:07 AM
That's a pathetic resolution for such high end cards. You can game with all features and eye candy on with a lowly 7800GT @ 1024x768 :rolleyes:

Yeah, but @ 1024x768 he could use MSAA + T SSAA. If you are an AA fan there is none better IMHO.

dceremuga
11-11-05, 08:12 AM
I'm 40 years old. Those higher resolutions are hard on my eyes. When people chat, I have to slam my eyes to the screen to read the crap. I'm asking for advice, not a white paper on gaming resolutions. Please, please, read my topic and advice while I have time.

dceremuga
11-11-05, 08:16 AM
Yeah, but @ 1024x768 he could use MSAA + T SSAA. If you are an AA fan there is none better IMHO. EXACTLY. You see my reasoning. I love the clean image and it is very easy on my eyes. I can't really use a LCD because even the slightest ghosting, which I am sensative too, gives me a headache. I'm happy with my 19" CRT. So it still comes down to this. Should I or should I not keep my X1800XT. All things considered from my original post. Fanboy'ism aside.

lee63
11-11-05, 08:26 AM
EXACTLY. You see my reasoning. I love the clean image and it is very easy on my eyes. I can't really use a LCD because even the slightest ghosting, which I am sensative too, gives me a headache. I'm happy with my 19" CRT. So it still comes down to this. Should I or should I not keep my X1800XT. All things considered from my original post. Fanboy'ism aside. I think you should keep the XT as its already on its way and the NV 512s might be even harder to get than what you already have. btw nice rig ;)

gsgrunt
11-11-05, 08:28 AM
I might be willing to take the XT off your hands if you go green.:angel:

BTW... are you 3_Stooges_Nuke @ R3D?

Toss3
11-11-05, 08:31 AM
EXACTLY. You see my reasoning. I love the clean image and it is very easy on my eyes. I can't really use a LCD because even the slightest ghosting, which I am sensative too, gives me a headache. I'm happy with my 19" CRT. So it still comes down to this. Should I or should I not keep my X1800XT. All things considered from my original post. Fanboy'ism aside.
Well, I believe I read somewhere that the x1800xt would be better in the long run, but the 7800gtx 512 is likely to spank it pretty hard in today's games. So if you don't want to get a new card for say like 2years then I'd say stick with the x1800xt, but if you want the best, then a 7800gtx 512 is the way to go(+ you can easily get another one for a lower price in like a year or so and you'll be good to go once again)... So because of your SLi supporting mobo, I'd go with a 7800gtx 512 if I could afford it! But the x1800xt is a nice card, so you can't go wrong here! :)

SH64
11-11-05, 08:35 AM
IMO Get the 512MB GTX .. it seems to be the fastest graphics card on the planet right now .. because i know you will be sorry when you see a 7800GTX 512 spank your new X1800XT just days after buying it. even if by very small margin .. it will still affect you from the inside.
i went through that experiance before ;)

also nVIDIA give higher options for IQ even i you play @1024 .. like 8x or 16xAA with MS or SSTAA.
& keep in mind that more games will be TWIMTBP are coming , so you'll feel comfortable with them ... and you can go SLI whenever you want.

dceremuga
11-11-05, 08:35 AM
What other forum on a video card website could find users who give honest brand independent advice. I am utterly astounded by the members of this website.

GSGRUNT and lee, what are your thoughts for keeping the x1800xt. There must be something in your mind saying (it's a keeper). I've read the reviews, all of them. Some of you just seem to have more insight on features, etc. That is why I decided to put my dunce hat on and ask for advice. BTW, thanks for the compliments on the rig.

On the availability. I was betting on hitting the EVGA sight first thing Monday Morning to place an order. But also heard that nVidia was making the GTX 512 a niche market item and it will be hard to find. Either way.

dceremuga
11-11-05, 08:37 AM
Well, I believe I read somewhere that the x1800xt would be better in the long run, but the 7800gtx 512 is likely to spank it pretty hard in today's games. So if you don't want to get a new card for say like 2years then I'd say stick with the x1800xt, but if you want the best, then a 7800gtx 512 is the way to go(+ you can easily get another one for a lower price in like a year or so and you'll be good to go once again)... So because of your SLi supporting mobo, I'd go with a 7800gtx 512 if I could afford it! But the x1800xt is a nice card, so you can't go wrong here! :)

I don't think I have ever kept a card for more than say "9 months to a year". But money is tighter now that my kids are getting older. So I do have to consider....

gsgrunt
11-11-05, 08:49 AM
I wont be of much help because I am wishy-washy. I believe the speed differences between the two will be trivial. I have not done a lot of research but I am leaning toward the red because I like change. The 520 is "newer" and different from my 6800. The missing vertex fetch thing in the 520 concerns me a bit but I donít think it will be a big deal. If you didnít like the 6800 Ultra what makes you think you will like the 7800?

Gorion
11-11-05, 08:55 AM
Honestly. If your gaming at those resolutions (not that there is anything wrong with that :) ) there will be extremely small diferences between the 2 cards frame rate wise at that res.

So just keep the XT, it's there in your hands, enjoy it. Unless you are going to crank up the res. there will be no difference as far as frame rate goes. and sli will probably be a complete waste.

dceremuga
11-11-05, 08:56 AM
I wont be of much help because I am wishy-washy. If you didnít like the 6800 Ultra what makes you think you will like the 7800?

You sound much like myself. I too am wishy-washy, especially when competing technologies like this come together like this. I haven't tried a 7800GTX because I really disliked the 6800. Thus I have a natural fear of the 7800! Otherwise I would have already had my mind set on the GTX 512. My favorite nVidia card was the TI4600

lee63
11-11-05, 09:01 AM
Honestly. If your gaming at those resolutions (not that there is anything wrong with that :) ) there will be extremely small diferences between the 2 cards frame rate wise at that res.

So just keep the XT, it's there in your hands, enjoy it. Unless you are going to crank up the res. there will be no difference as far as frame rate goes. and sli will probably be a complete waste. QFT

StoNer
11-11-05, 09:12 AM
Yea dude if u game at 1024x768 youll be fine with that X1800 thinger.. i mean its no slouch itself. I heard its pretty damn fast

shoman24v
11-11-05, 09:39 AM
Who cares if the GTX is faster, you can run AA with HDR on the ATI card.

dceremuga
11-11-05, 10:22 AM
Decision is done. I'm keeping the X1800Xt. To all of you here, thank you for chiming in. At the resolutions I play, there should not be a significant difference between the 2 cards, and I've had a good track record with ATI. You guys are great, and I appreciate all of the advice. That GTX will be an ass kicker.

Gorion
11-11-05, 10:25 AM
You should be very pleased with the ATI, it will rock at your applications. :)

Scott@Bjorn3D
11-11-05, 12:49 PM
Well you can wait to NDA is up on the new NVIDIA card, read the reviews and then decide.

Vagrant Zero
11-11-05, 12:58 PM
Who cares if the GTX is faster

Anyone with their brain set to ON.

lee63
11-11-05, 12:59 PM
Decision is done. I'm keeping the X1800Xt. To all of you here, thank you for chiming in. At the resolutions I play, there should not be a significant difference between the 2 cards, and I've had a good track record with ATI. You guys are great, and I appreciate all of the advice. That GTX will be an ass kicker. Good choice:dance: :dance: enjoy

shoman24v
11-11-05, 01:38 PM
Anyone with their brain set to ON.
You don't have to have the fastest card on earth.

swatX
11-11-05, 02:49 PM
keep the XT. it will last u a long time especially if u play at that res.