PDA

View Full Version : VIA and X2

Gorion
11-11-05, 10:45 AM
Good Day All,

I'm looking to scratch an upgrade itch and am hoping you guys can help.

I have read somewhere (can't seem to find it now so it may be my imagination) that VIA chipsets had a problem with dual core procs.

So my first question would be: is this still the case?

I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe and am thinking of sticking with my 6800U until M2, DX10 etc., comes out. I usually skip a generation of vid cards.

I mostly play EQ2 and will definately pick up Oblivion when it ships. So I'm thinking instead of new ram, MB, proc, vid card(s), I'll just double my ram to 2 gigs and grab a 4400+ and that'll carry me and I'll save some major skins. Because if I go the other route I'll be spending a fortune on those GTX512's :D

But if I can't dual core this VIA MB then I'll just go the other route.

I'm also intruiged by these 939 dual core opterons. Anyone have any info on the differences between them and the X2's?

All insight is greatly appreciated. :)

AthlonXP1800
11-11-05, 11:46 AM
Yes your mobo supported (http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8V%20Deluxe) dual core X2, it just that new PCI Express KT890 Pro have problem with dual core.

Opterons are for servers, it use socket 940 and X2s are desktop chips based on socket 939.

You will need to update your mobo BIOS to 1015 first before install dual core CPU. :)

Gorion
11-11-05, 12:55 PM
Thanks Athalon, for clearing up which chipset had the problem. I have 1015 but I wanted to make sure people were not having compatability problems.

There are dual core 939 opterons out now and I have been hearing very little about comparative performance, except a couple of people who think they are better overclockers.

Sazar
11-11-05, 08:08 PM
I have no problems with My Asus A8V Deluxe and an x2.

Gorion
11-11-05, 08:11 PM
Thanks Sazar I was hoping someone running one would let me know :)

Sazar
11-11-05, 08:15 PM
I have only 1 issue and that is with CnQ and steam. For some reason, once in a blue moon the system simply freezes with CnQ enabled with steam on. Every other situation it works fine and I simply leave CnQ off.

Just to let you know :)

Gorion
11-11-05, 08:27 PM
I don't use CnQ either ;)

uOpt
11-11-05, 10:31 PM
The AGP A8V variants support dual-core. But watch out for PCI/AGP locks, only second editions have working locks.x

The PCIe AGP A8V-E varinats do not work with dual-cores unless you have a A8V-E SE. To my knowledge the Deluxe does not work because it has the chipset that Via fatfingered.

I have a A8V-E SE which works great with my X2 3800+. Good board, BTW, on stock settings a little faster than a NForce4 board, works nicely with 4 GB (get 4 GB in the OS without fiddling with anything). ECC support, too. Minus is the trashy Broadcom GbE, only two SATA connectors and no Firewire. No fan on northbridge.

Clearly overpriced for the features but what the hell, boards are such a tiny fraction of the overall computer cost and such a huge fraction of the potential trouble.

Sazar
11-11-05, 11:24 PM
:cool:

Good thing I didn't pay anything out of pocket for the board.

Or the mem.

Or the proc.

Or the gfx card.

/me stops now.

Btw the pci/agp locks do work for my board, am assuming that most of the current boards on the market should be just fine. One thing to keep an eye out for is the newer boards typically have X2 support listed on the box. Luck of the draw involved but you should be fine. I don't oc so it doesn't matter much for me.