PDA

View Full Version : Blew up my system.

Prozac360
11-12-05, 02:47 AM
OK not really, I got a small question thoe.

I was going on a Overclocking rampage with my AMD64 3500+

2.3 to 2.4 to 2.5 to 2.6 ... of course i was doing it in smaller jumps... especially as i got higher....

Apperently when i went to 2.6 my Hard drives didnt like it and created some errors. I.E. Windows System32 not found...

What causes this exactly? My hard drives are pretty old to say the least but im just guessing a CPU error made them goof up as well.

I must be crazy im going to try this again after i reformat but take it a little slower.

superklye
11-12-05, 03:30 AM
Is it a Venice core? Just crank the vcore and it should work out...maybe up the vdimm a little, too

Prozac360
11-12-05, 04:23 AM
nope it is a newcastle. I tryed cranking its speeds back down, its definitly a hard drive error i cant fix without reformating. Its like windows files disapeared but when i look at them right now there still there...

maybe a registry error or somthing? not sure

Says

C:/Windows/System32 blah blah blah is currupt etc...

so iv baked up any of my important files and im going to do a little clean up on my system.

Clean the wires up straiten out the IDE cables etc.. blow off the heatsinc... then reinstall windows with RAID this time on a freshly reformated system.

Having fun trying to destroying my 1500$ system (when it was new)

ok so im not trying to destroy it but hey it could happen.

Somthing is wrong with me (daz)

bugmage
11-12-05, 10:08 AM
well if you run prime 95 to test stab it will say your cpu tryed to calculation and it was wrong to the real answer so maybe your cpu through out a bad # whitch fked up the registry. I have a amd 939 3400 thats set at a v core of 1.525 and runs at 2.4, but the actual v core runs at 1.55 acording to cpu c, newcastle, anyway so i thinks thats why your regged got fked up

nIghtorius
11-12-05, 12:01 PM
you could try inserting the XP CD and using the recovery console..

type "chkdsk -r" in the recovery console and wait.. :)

most of the time it enables you to boot your XP again. if not.. then you royally fooked up your XP installation.

bugmage
11-12-05, 12:14 PM
you could try safemode, jsut to make sure it not some nastey 3rd party that fked up

Prozac360
11-12-05, 12:53 PM
no it was definitly past repair,

i tryed running recovery console didnt work,
i posted under a XP install on my 2nd harddrive

Since then i backed up all files i had and reformated them both. Ill got at it again and see what happens. 2.45ghz running stable right now no problem.

im going to spend about 2 weeks i think just stress testing every fsb increasment ... and get a voltage monitor/recorder up and working so if it does crash i can check back to see if it was the voltage messing it up.

einstein_314
11-12-05, 02:26 PM
What motherboard do you have? And are your hard drives SATA? I had an Asus A8V deluxe and had this exact problem when my fsb went over 221 mhz (I could only get 2.42 ghz out of my 3500+). The problem was that the A8V deluxe doesn't have a pci lock (keeps the pci bus frequency locked at 133mhz) so the sata controller was being overclocked and thus creating errors on my hard drives. This was using the VIA Sata controller. Apparently the Promise sata controller doesn't have this problem. So that's something to check into.

Kojiro
11-12-05, 03:20 PM
The OC did not affect your Hard drive. But if you just increased system bus to OC the CPU, you also OCed the memory bus too. This causes a whole lot of problems, expecialy if you don't got memory modules that can support the speed you sett them at.

You though it was your hard drive, but data from your hard drive get loaded into Ram first before it is executed. Duh!

Prozac360
11-12-05, 10:15 PM
yea thanks for the tips

Im on a AV8 Deluxe as well but im using WD Caviar ATA150 drive.

Im guessing its the similare if not the same problem you had einstein...

Its definitly somewhere between the ram and the motherboard i know that much. Atleast i know i can take it upto 2.5ghz stable iv had it run at that speed for a month before. I had another guy tell me the same thing that the SATA roms did goof up pretty bad, i guess ata isnt much better.

But dang taking it upto 2.6 just made me feel like Emeril there for a second there "BANG"! and somthing goofed up. =P

but really this cpu i know could handel more, its 31°C at idle, at 2.4ghz right now.

einstein_314
11-13-05, 02:49 AM
The OC did not affect your Hard drive. But if you just increased system bus to OC the CPU, you also OCed the memory bus too. This causes a whole lot of problems, expecialy if you don't got memory modules that can support the speed you sett them at.

You though it was your hard drive, but data from your hard drive get loaded into Ram first before it is executed. Duh!
Actually, I'm 100% positive it was my Hard drive that was corrupted. My memory was PC3500 (DDR433). My ram could memtest for hours at 220fsb (DDR440). When my hd got corrupted, if i lowered my fsb back to stock, my data was still corrupted.

Now back to prozacs problem. That's a weird one for sure. I was under the impression that ide drives aren't effected by the problem I had. It could be your ram. If you lower your fsb back down once this corruption happens, does it boot? (I'm guessing no). Hmm. Could also be your CPU maybe? My first 3500+ could only handle 2.53 Ghz and that was with 1.75V being pumped into it (It was a newcastle core). Now my venice 3500+ is at 2.6 at 1.55V.

Prozac360
11-15-05, 09:17 AM
newcastle may not be the best for overlclocking then.

no it wont boot

saturnotaku
11-15-05, 10:08 AM
Newcastles generally suck at overclocking. 2.4 is usually the most you can get out of them, 2.5 if you're really lucky and have excellent cooling (water, phase change).

ssj4goku887
11-17-05, 09:47 AM
soft restore :\

Ninjaman09
11-17-05, 10:23 AM
Newcastles generally suck at overclocking. 2.4 is usually the most you can get out of them, 2.5 if you're really lucky and have excellent cooling (water, phase change).
I got my Newcastle to 2.5 on water, but the system was never really stable for long. I think it was the motherboard though (A8V Deluxe rev.2).

As for the OP, what einstein said was the best I could think of.

This is why I don't overclock anymore. ;)

chowells
11-17-05, 10:52 AM
Am I missing something, or is it not just very simple? You've overclocked the CPU so much it can't do calculations properly. Nonsense got written to disk and stuff got corrupted. Putting the speed down again isn't going to help because the nonsense has already been written to disk. Sounds like you need to restore from backup or reinstall.

Ninjaman09
11-17-05, 10:58 AM
Well nonsense getting put on the disk is more a problem with data corruption in the RAM not the CPU, but I do agree that it sounds like his hard drive is gonna need to be restored to a previous state or reformatted.

Riptide
11-17-05, 12:05 PM
Make sure you don't run a tRAS of less than 6. Settings of 5 can sometimes cause corruption and it will be that much more picky when you go to o/c.