PDA

View Full Version : file/printer sharing problem

CMav
11-12-05, 12:20 PM
Any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

I have 2 computers, both running WindowsXP. PC1 has a printer I would like to share with PC2. Both machines are connected to a 4-port linksys wireless-g router (connected by wire, not wireless because they are close together).

Problem is that I can't see either computer from the other, and I can't see the printer from PC2.

I ran the network wizard on both machines, #1 then #2 when nothing would work.

PC1 has nforce4 firewall, PC2 has windows firewall.

chowells
11-12-05, 01:22 PM
Can they ping each other? Are they on the same workgroup? Disable the firewalls and see if it works then.

retsam
11-12-05, 02:41 PM
is the priter shared out.... and did you set the permissions correctly ..also you need to turn off the firewalls inorder to get this to work ..

CMav
11-12-05, 06:43 PM
Can they ping each other? Are they on the same workgroup? Disable the firewalls and see if it works then.

I'm not sure how to see if they can ping each other. From PC2, I can see that PC1 is on the same workgroup, but I can't access it. From PC1, I cannot see PC2 on the workgroup.

CMav
11-12-05, 06:45 PM
is the priter shared out.... and did you set the permissions correctly ..also you need to turn off the firewalls inorder to get this to work ..

The printer is shared, according to the computer that it is hooked up to. It has the little hand under it, as do some files.

Can I no longer run ANY firewall if I want to share a printer?

Thanks for helping!