PDA

View Full Version : Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe

Monnie Rock
11-13-05, 01:36 AM
Hello Everyone,

If I may ask, where is there room on this mainboard for the sound card when using SLI?

Is this board an option with the new dual slot 7800GTX 512 cards that take up two spaces plus a sound card?

Looks and seems like a great board with the new power enhancements but, is the layout that logical for users of SLI( seems to be the selling point with x16) and a soundcard( no gamers use on-board sound)

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/motherboards/asus/a8n32sli_deluxe/board.jpg

Thanks,
Monnie

Muppet
11-13-05, 02:01 AM
Not sure about the dual slot coolers, but this board rocks with my 2 GTX's and overclocks like nothing i've used before, the 8 fase power is just wicked. I've hit 2.6 with my 3500 without even trying.I'd seriously give this board 10 out of 10 :) .And with the benchmarks i have been running you can use SLI AA at playable frame rates.I can't recommend this board high enough, so much better than the original Deluxe it's not funny.I was thinking about the DFI, but i'm happy i didn't get that one now :D

Gorion
11-13-05, 02:09 AM
Put the sound card in the pci slot just above the second video card. So it's in between the cards.

Muppet
11-13-05, 02:10 AM
Put the sound card in the pci slot just above the second video card. So it's in between the cards.
That's where i've put mine

Scott@Bjorn3D
11-13-05, 07:26 AM
Yes the card will fit between the cards in SLI. My X-FI fits in there, even with the cable to front break out box it works. My first card runs hotter than the second but have not had a single problem with heat.

rudedog
11-13-05, 10:27 AM
I was thinking the same thing. would I be able to fix my x-fi in between two 7800GTS 512's? Is there room when using, dual slot 7800s?

Was going to pick this up when the 512s where released monday.

Scott@Bjorn3D
11-13-05, 11:42 AM
I was thinking the same thing. would I be able to fix my x-fi in between two 7800GTS 512's? Is there room when using, dual slot 7800s?

Was going to pick this up when the 512s where released monday.

Yes it will work fine!!

rudedog
11-13-05, 12:26 PM
Yes it will work fine!!
Thanks, you just cost me more $$ :D

Greasy
11-13-05, 12:29 PM
I ordered one last week. I just noticed it has an ATX 24 pin power connector.

My PSU is only has an ATX 20 connector. Do you know if this board will still work, or will I need to buy an adaptor?

My PSU is an Antec Tru-Power 480

Glad to hear you like it. :)

Daydre@m
11-13-05, 01:05 PM
I ordered one last week. I just noticed it has an ATX 24 pin power connector.

My PSU is only has an ATX 20 connector. Do you know if this board will still work, or will I need to buy an adaptor?

Well it will work with the 20 pin PSU but you might have some stability issues in the future due to overclocking , so i would recommend getting a new 24 Pin PSU or get a 24 Pin convertor at least . You find convertors over at frozencpu.com or use pricegrabber.com

Scott@Bjorn3D
11-13-05, 03:05 PM
Yeah the board is nice, I love the fact I am able to run RAID5 and my CPU overhead with the new nForce4 is only 3%.

Greasy
11-13-05, 03:18 PM
Well it will work with the 20 pin PSU but you might have some stability issues in the future due to overclocking , so i would recommend getting a new 24 Pin PSU or get a 24 Pin convertor at least . You find convertors over at frozencpu.com or use pricegrabber.com

I'll definately pick up a converter. Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

Monnie Rock
11-13-05, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies...Looking better

Greasy
11-14-05, 04:31 PM
I ordered from Monarch last thursday. Now they have them on backorder. I hope mine is available. It says 1 - 2 business days so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I really want this board!

Monarch blows! They had it listed as in stock, but informed me that it would be after Nov 25 (best case) before it would be shipped. Canceled my order, and got it from newegg. They had it in stock for 5 minutes, and I'm pretty sure I got one of them.

Needless to say, "First and Last time I shop at Monarch Computer. :(

RobertR1
11-15-05, 10:35 PM
Anyone know where to find one of these bad boys in stock???

Gorion
11-15-05, 11:22 PM
Can't find any. After reading anandtech's review I decided not to wait anymore and got a a8nsli premium.

Muppet
11-18-05, 09:55 PM
This mobo overclocks like nothing i've ever used before. I can easilly get my 3500 to 2.6 with stock voltages and same with the memory, no voltage tweaks at all.All i can say is if you are thinking of getting this motherboard GET IT you won't regret it:D . Simply bloody amazing :eek:

Riptide
11-21-05, 03:04 PM
Wow. This motherboard really is a practically useless upgrade for existing A8N owners. Unless you run 2048x1536 w/8xAA you will not see much of a difference, and even then it isn't close to night/day.
http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q4/asus-a8n32-sli/index.x?pg=9
There's very little daylight between the two systems. The only really notable performance difference, if there is one, is probably between the two 3DMark05 scores at 2048x1536. There, the A8N32-SLI takes a slight lead. Still, it's nothing to write home about.
Yep, a little. You might write home about this difference, but the folks at home would probably realize then that your life isn't very exciting.

All in all, the extra PCI Express lanes in the nForce4 SLI X16 chipset don't seem to help much, at least in the handful of apps we've tested here. Fortunately, they don't hurt, either.
Existing A8N owners? /yawn

FraGTastiK
11-21-05, 04:11 PM
Wow. This motherboard really is a practically useless upgrade for existing A8N owners. Unless you run 2048x1536 w/8xAA you will not see much of a difference, and even then it isn't close to night/day.
http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q4/asus-a8n32-sli/index.x?pg=9

Existing A8N owners? /yawn

I would also take a look at these:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=14501&stc=1&d=1132606256
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=14502&stc=1&d=1132606256
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=14503&stc=1&d=1132606344

Yes maybe current SLIX8 owners would be better off with skipping SLIX16 and upgrading to upcoming DDR2 AMD mainboards.(its a no-brainer that gamers go AMD isnt it) ;)
but the new SLIX16 should be first on the list for users who want to buy a SLI board for the first time.

The new ASUS board provides an added RAID 5 support.it has better CPU voltage regulation to help with getting rid of vCore ripples.it has higher bandwidth for faster SLIAA and the ability to run 4 way SLI.it wont be a waste IMO.

I would buy the new SLIX16 board if DFI puts one out as currently there's non available from them because they dont think its a good idea (http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=283512&postcount=2)(I disagree though),guess I have to wait till they change their mind.

Riptide
11-21-05, 04:42 PM
Single video? :confused:

Something isn't right there. I would like to see those tests run w/A8N vs. A8N32 instead. DFI vs. A8N is somewhat of an apples/oranges comparison. Single video configs already get 16x bandwidth so there should be -0- difference in that situation unless I'm misinformed.

The second set of graphs seem more applicable but the results seem to clash with what you'd expect given what the link I posted showed. Who is right? Who knows.

Just my opinion but 8xAA is a waste of bandwidth. The difference is difficult for all but the absolute pickiest people to see while actually playing the game.

technoid
11-21-05, 04:47 PM
I would also take a look at these:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=14501&stc=1&d=1132606256
I'm not sure if I believe those numbers. The test should have been done using both ASUS SLI Boards, the 8xSLI and 16xSLI boards like TechReport did them. Asus has long been known to overclock the front side bus just a tad to give them an edge in benchmarks and I always wondered if that's what we were seeing in AnandTech's numbers. So I was happy to see that TechReport did what needed to be done and used ASUS boards in the 8x vs 16x benchmark. So what we really need is for someone else to verify the TechReport numbers because they did the test the way it should have been done, on Two Asus boards. That way we'll see which one is a fluke. I've seen several reports about Asus overclocking the front side bus a little and being just a little faster becasue of it.