PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft 10-Day Trial

Pages : [1] 2 3

LiquidX
11-13-05, 10:39 AM
This is great for those that have wanted to see what all the fuss is about without having to pay, well atleast for 10-days.

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/worldofwarcraft/trial/trial.aspx

MrSavoy
11-13-05, 10:44 AM
Yup I just took advantage of that trial 2 days ago and havent stopped playing it yet. I have alot of friends who have been playing since launch so ya, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I must admit its a very cool and polished game, I'm hooked. :)

ew2x4
11-13-05, 06:58 PM
I've made fun of my friend who plays it non stop. That means I can't try or else I'll probably get hooked and by a hypocrite.

Rakeesh
11-13-05, 10:18 PM
Do you still have to pay for a copy of the game in order to start playing or can you just start with no initial fee?

I just don't like the idea of paying an initial fee and then having required renewals for games. Either do one or the other.

DiaBlo666
11-13-05, 10:28 PM
linky no workie...

Vagrant Zero
11-13-05, 10:54 PM
Do you still have to pay for a copy of the game in order to start playing or can you just start with no initial fee?

I just don't like the idea of paying an initial fee and then having required renewals for games. Either do one or the other.

Seems like it's FREE FREE instead of FREE ****EDYOUBASTARDSHAHAHAH.

angshuman
11-13-05, 11:01 PM
How big is the client file?

There seems to be some problem with VilePlanet's hosting of the client. My "pre-registration" went through and I got the key, but I tried to download the client thrice and failed. The first 2 times, I got a 0-byte zip file, and the third time, I received a HUGE zip file with unknown size that's still downloading... it's up to 2.66GB now and going strong. I fear it may be downloading a huge stream of 0's.

Rakeesh
11-13-05, 11:35 PM
Seems like it's FREE FREE instead of FREE ****EDYOUBASTARDSHAHAHAH.

Well, I mean for the non demo. E.g. is it PSO style where you can just download the client and play willy nilly when you give em your credit card.

superklye
11-14-05, 12:31 AM
Well, I mean for the non demo. E.g. is it PSO style where you can just download the client and play willy nilly when you give em your credit card.
Most definitely not. As far as I know, it's still $50 in stores. It may have come down to $40, but still...

Ringthane
11-14-05, 12:39 AM
How big is the client file?

There seems to be some problem with VilePlanet's hosting of the client. My "pre-registration" went through and I got the key, but I tried to download the client thrice and failed. The first 2 times, I got a 0-byte zip file, and the third time, I received a HUGE zip file with unknown size that's still downloading... it's up to 2.66GB now and going strong. I fear it may be downloading a huge stream of 0's.

It's around 3GB.

Rakeesh
11-14-05, 01:36 AM
Most definitely not. As far as I know, it's still $50 in stores. It may have come down to $40, but still...

Bleh. I can't justify paying near top dollar for a game and then having to essentially pay that again every 3 months. I like the idea of just having a new game entirely every three months better.

angshuman
11-14-05, 04:58 AM
It's around 3GB.
Thanks, the download finally completed.

ST:DS9
11-14-05, 11:51 AM
Bleh. I can't justify paying near top dollar for a game and then having to essentially pay that again every 3 months. I like the idea of just having a new game entirely every three months better.

It is $29.99 at Gamestop http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=644859

Anyways, I played it for 5 hours and bought the game. I haven't tried playing an MMO since shortly after Evercrap 1 (levelcrap, levelquest, evercrack- which ever you like) got released. I played Guildwars for over 900 hours and it showed me how much fun an MMO can be, so I decided to try out WOW. Downloaded friday, and bought on friday. Have the game now for 4 days now, and still loving it. Guildwars was the Gateway drug for me.

muaddib
11-14-05, 12:23 PM
I heard it's addictive. I think I should stay away from it if I want to stay in a good social condition, besides, I already got BF2... :)

Slyder
11-14-05, 02:07 PM
Guildwars was the Gateway drug for me.

GuildWars takes WoW and gives it some serious spankage imho... ;)

Ninjaman09
11-14-05, 02:20 PM
GuildWars takes WoW and gives it some serious spankage imho... ;)
:rofl

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:udawg:

BAHAHABAHAHAAHAHAHahahaHahHAhahaahaaaaaaaaa....acc kk

*dies from laughter*

No.

angshuman
11-14-05, 02:37 PM
No.
OMG OMG N00B LOLOLOLOLOL YOU SUK!!!!1!11one!!1one

Ninjaman09
11-14-05, 03:28 PM
OMG OMG N00B LOLOLOLOLOL YOU SUK!!!!1!11one!!1one
:wtf:

But seriously Guild Wars is a flawed and incomplete game experience that does not compete with WoW on any level save (arguably) graphic prowess. And the art is much better in WoW.

angshuman
11-15-05, 12:44 AM
But seriously Guild Wars is a flawed and incomplete game experience that does not compete with WoW on any level save (arguably) graphic prowess. And the art is much better in WoW.
I haven't had the chance to play WoW yet so I cannot make a fair comparison, but from what I have heard they are two very different games. WoW is all about the leveling, whereas GW is about rushing to level 20 quickly and then experimenting with builds and strategies. I've never PvP'ed in GW, but that is supposed to be where the game really shines and all the experimentation bears fruit.

Zorlag
11-15-05, 04:45 AM
GW PvP >>>>> WoW PvP
GW Pve <<<<< WoW PvE (though I think PvE in MMORPG's is crap anyway)

If you play GW and haven't tried teamplay in tombs or Guild vs Guild you are missing the best part of the game.

TierMann
11-15-05, 09:17 AM
I'm gonna give this a try. Just started the download at 360KB/s so it'll be a little while.

1.45gb's and counting *bangs head on keyboard*

Ninjaman09
11-15-05, 10:32 AM
I haven't had the chance to play WoW yet so I cannot make a fair comparison, but from what I have heard they are two very different games. WoW is all about the leveling, whereas GW is about rushing to level 20 quickly and then experimenting with builds and strategies. I've never PvP'ed in GW, but that is supposed to be where the game really shines and all the experimentation bears fruit.
WoW is all about rushing to level 60 when the game really begins. At that point a world of opportunities are opened to you, and the focus of the game becomes gameplay, character equipment, character talent build, etc. based on your goals. The game up until level 60 is basically moot, something you won't realize until attaining level 60 (not a particularly hard task). Once you hit 60 the training wheels come off and it's all about learning to play your class effectively. You can do PvE raids, PvP, or both if you take the time to build up a couple of different equipment sets. Blizzard is always adding more end-game content as well. The majority of your time in a WoW career by far will be spent at level 60, unless you're the type who rerolls characters frequently.
GW PvP >>>>> WoW PvP
:lol: Sure, sure...of course it helps to have played WoW PvP to make the comparison. ;)

ricercar
11-15-05, 11:17 AM
wow. that was fun.
Server Error in '/betas' Application.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>
<system.web>
<compilation debug="true"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
GameSpy.FilePlanet.Betas.BetasUserBasePageKeyLimit .getBetaInfo() +1396
ASP.wow_10daykey_aspx.__Render__control1(HtmlTextW riter __output, Control parameterContainer) +238
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWrite r writer) +27
System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +243
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1926

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

TierMann
11-15-05, 11:42 AM
wow. that was fun.

Open it in IE. Firefox did the same thing for me.
Gotta love ASP.

Edit: Wee! Just finished downloading. (2.81gb)

angshuman
11-15-05, 01:16 PM
WoW is all about rushing to level 60 when the game really begins. At that point a world of opportunities are opened to you, and the focus of the game becomes gameplay, character equipment, character talent build, etc. based on your goals. The game up until level 60 is basically moot, something you won't realize until attaining level 60 (not a particularly hard task). Once you hit 60 the training wheels come off and it's all about learning to play your class effectively. You can do PvE raids, PvP, or both if you take the time to build up a couple of different equipment sets. Blizzard is always adding more end-game content as well. The majority of your time in a WoW career by far will be spent at level 60, unless you're the type who rerolls characters frequently.

That is *completely* the opposite of what I have heard from several other sources. What you have described is almost exactly what people generally feel about *GW* and I can see where they are coming from. I have read feedback from several people who have played WoW that say, that the entire game is basically about getting from 1 to 60. After lvl 60, there's basically nothing left to do. You're the first person I've who has had such a positive experience after lvl 60. That's great, I guess :)