PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone still playing F.E.A.R.?

Pages : [1] 2

Rieper
11-13-05, 10:05 AM
It seems to be a game that once played, has utterly no replay value. I'd like some opinions before laying down my hard earned cash to buy it.

Thanks.

Gaco
11-13-05, 10:09 AM
No, but I probably would if it hadn't been for Quake 4 (which I got after FEAR and still haven't finished) and Call of Duty 2 :)

Sazar
11-13-05, 10:16 AM
Yah, I am replaying it right now using the slow-mo and different guns.

I am simply re-enforcing the suckiness of the game as I replay through it. How people were so gung-ho over this steaming pile of garbage, I don't understand. Still, I am simply shottying people into submission right now and trying out different routes to do the same thing.

/me shrugs

No replay value but I usually give my games at least 2 spins.

rflair
11-13-05, 10:34 AM
After fininshing the single player in game on the hardest difficulty I have not looked at it much. Playing Q4 single player right now, have to say its pretty good.

BioHazZarD
11-13-05, 10:54 AM
Finished it weeks ago and i havent played a single time and its still installed.

DaveW
11-13-05, 11:00 AM
I didn't complete it until last week. I'm playing through again. The replay value suffers because all the creepy bits are no longer creepy. The combat is still fun though. I love all the particle and physics effects during a firefight.

superklye
11-13-05, 11:18 AM
I haven't completed it yet because I haven't had time due to the extra time I'm putting in at work and stuff, but hopefully over the Thanksgiving break I will have more time.

NightFire
11-13-05, 12:36 PM
I haven't been replaying it...heck I haven't even played once.

(Note: I don't own the game, so...)

CaptNKILL
11-13-05, 01:05 PM
I just finally got my copy yesterday. I played it for a little while last night and its alright... I was a bit disapointed at the first couple levels. The graphics arent that impressive, in fact they are kinda boring. Half-Life 2 still has the most interesting scenery of any game Ive seen... FEAR just seems bland.

And the combat is good but it seems waaaaaay too easy on the moderate difficulty. I also noticed some glitches too... a guy motioned like he was throwing a grenade then before he was even to the point where he would let go, I exploded. It was like the grenade fired from his hand like a bullet and it was invisible. I found that REALLY strange, but the game was so easy at that point i just killed him and everyone else and went on to refill my health and armor.

I did have some really cool fights involving slow-mo kicks and head shots, and the AI seems pretty decent as far as tracking you. But as with all games, they always know where you are if you are hiding. Kind of anoying, but Ive been used to that since Half-Life 1.

One thing that really surprised me was the performance. I keep hearing people say FEAR runs like sh*t but Im seeing just the opposite. At 1024x768 with everything maxed, soft shadows off, 4xAF, noAA and volumetric light density at minimum (huge speed difference and looks almost the same) the game was running perfectly smooth the entire time. And Im picky about framerates. In the test I got 95% above 40fps and 5% between 25 and 40... my minimum was 36, average was 56 and max was like 160.

Im using a 1 1\2 year old card, and it runs that good... wheres this crappy performance everyone is talking about? :confused:

Lazaredz
11-13-05, 01:12 PM
I have gotten about half way through a second run on extreme difficulty. I think part of the problem is that there is so much new stuff out, why would you want a repeat when the unknown becons. Also, FEAR has very limited online play. Only 6 guns, 2 standard MP models, only 2 CTF maps, and an overdone melee system (1 hit kills via kick vs. 3 nails to the head survivals) it is fading fast.

If you have held out this long, I would wait and get it when it goes onsale for like $25-$30. Or maybe pick up a used copy from someone who is done with it. GREAT SP play and story, not a good repeat (ala Deus Ex) and MP needs ALOT of expansion. The SDK is coming soon, so there could be a good turn around.

OWA
11-13-05, 01:28 PM
I still haven't completed it but I plan to after I finish Quake 4 and Call of Duty 2. I'll probably restart it at that point since I've already forgotten most of what is going on.

Also, I rarely play games through a second time so I kind of expect it to be a one shot deal when I purchase it. Of course, there are exceptions but most of the time that's true.

jAkUp
11-13-05, 01:41 PM
I still play alot of MP, which I really enjoy. I havent played it in a few days though because I have been playing alot of NFS MW.

Sazar
11-13-05, 02:16 PM
Im using a 1 1\2 year old card, and it runs that good... wheres this crappy performance everyone is talking about? :confused:

Well, consider this.

I can play HL2 with everything maxed @ 1680x1050 with 4xAA and 8xAF and no problems whatsoever besides the loading stutter.

Fear I am currently running at 1280x960 @ 2xAA and 4xAF and it runs pretty smooth for me. It's been choppy one time right after a save checkpoint thinger but other than that its been pretty smooth.

Notice the difference in playable settings?

Crappy performance is very true when you boost everything to max and kick up the filtering. Frame rate is a lot lower on average than what I get for HL2, but I don't have much problem with that since shadows are so much better.

But there is still the clipping issue :( I wish more people did like ID and eliminated the whole thing bout people's head and arms poking through objects. As far as overall feel and experience, it reminds me of HL2 with some Max Payne and Doom thrown in.

nutcrackr
11-13-05, 06:04 PM
I've only just started playing it again on a harder level of difficulty, I never thought it was as fantastic as some people have claimed but it's a fun shooter and if you don't play it excessively I think you'll enjoy it much more later on. In terms of replay it's not great but it was no less than Doom 3 which I really had to change attitudes towards to play again. If I was recommending a purchase I'd say wait until the price drops more and the money will be well spent.

jAkUp
11-13-05, 06:25 PM
Yea well HL2 doesn't even have dynamic shadows... not to mention an engine that has upwards of 6 light sources at a time.

Remember, for every light source, the character needs to be rerendered, so you can have the equivalent of 20 guys on your screen with high polys at a given time.

Its a wonder Fear doesn't run slower!

And you wonder why people like it so much? You even said yourself, its Half Life, with Max Payne and Doom thrown in.
3 of some of my favorite games of all time, no wonder people like it so much :)

CaptNKILL
11-13-05, 06:49 PM
Been playing it some more today... and its really not getting any better. Glad I got it cheap ($29.90 from gogamer) or I might be a bit irritated :p

Looking back on the single-player FPS games I have played over the past 3 years, I think HL2 is still by far the best. I can still remember the feel of that game, and the atmosphere was amazing. Im not really getting anything from FEAR, and Quake 4 was fun but didnt leave any real impression on me. Im hoping FEAR gets better.

It had a really really nasty glitch today too... in one scene (with the second big armored guy you see) I cleared out a room and moved up some stairs where some more guys attacked me. I backed up and there was someone right in plain view that wasnt there a second ago. I got killed and reloaded my last quicksave. Now, that guy was there again but he was UNDER THE FLOOR. He was shooting me through the floor and I couldnt hit him. I finally shot the floor enough that he died, but I had to reload the save like 7 times before I could get him. That was pretty anoying.

Its the first bug Ive seen so far though, so thats pretty good.

grey_1
11-13-05, 08:13 PM
but he was UNDER THE FLOOR. He was shooting me through the floor and I couldnt hit him. I finally shot the floor enough that he died, but I had to reload the save like 7 times before I could get him. That patch addressed another area like that, baddies were inside a concrete wall, annoying as hell. Still luvin lots of the game tho. Tried to kick an imp in cdoom3 the other day...woulda been cool:)

SH64
11-13-05, 09:04 PM
F.E.A.R. SECURom HotFix Available released!

http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=29841&mode=thread&order=0

Various people have complained about problems with the latest v1.02 patch that they could no longer start up the game due to the securom copy protection. While it still does not seem to resolve all issues with the game, Securom has issued a hotfix to address the resolve "some" of the issues such as problems were the exe was sitting in taskmanager without actually launching the game, or the need to alt+tab in order to play online. Read more for download links ...

Hex
11-13-05, 09:58 PM
I love FEAR multi, but I wont play again until they throw some kind of anti cheat in there like PB.
That and the melee thing gets so stupid after a while.

supra
11-13-05, 11:56 PM
im currently trying to play through the whole thing with no slo mo. :D

superklye
11-14-05, 12:14 AM
I played some today but I had to stop because it's just too intense for more than like 15-20 minutes at a time.

CaptNKILL
11-14-05, 12:26 AM
I played some today but I had to stop because it's just too intense for more than like 15-20 minutes at a time.
Man, for me its just the opposite. Ive had maybe 2 intense moments so far... over all it just feels blahh.

CaptNKILL
11-14-05, 12:33 AM
...maybe the single player feels blahh the second or third time around... but the multiplayer pwnz
Havent played the MP yet in the full game... I might have to try that now :)

I know I pwnz0rd everyone in the MP demo :D

CaptNKILL
11-14-05, 01:36 AM
me too... :D ..using the 2 pistols & the mp5 :cool:
Oh man, I just played some team DM... its freaking amazing :D

Its so much fun! The first time my team was kinda crappy and we had 1 less player than the other team... and one of ours was AFK. So I just went all melee and I still had a decent score. If it wasnt for lag I probably would have had the highest... melee attacks dont work too well with lag, you fly through people half the time, and it takes so long to recover from a flying kick that if you miss, youre dead.

After that we played an office building level... I dont know the name of it, but it was freaking AWESOME for team DM. Holy crap. Its the one thats really fancy looking, with a lobby that has a second floor walkway with a railing. Oh man, its amazing... with like 6 people rushing through the twisty hallway with smoke EVERYWHERE, just punching through a big group of enemies. Its so sweet :D

I used to hate the G2A2, I never got any kills with it. In that level though, I pwnt... it was headshot city ;)

I gotta say, Im very happy with the MP in both Quake 4 and FEAR. Pretty much lag-free. Runs great. No real balance issues. Nothing overly irritating that isnt controlled by the players. All around good fun :)

CaptNKILL
11-14-05, 01:52 AM
...very true. you can kill an enemy 20 meters away with just i pistol shot, just be sure to aim on the head ...a nice touch of realism imo :) + john woo style gameplay :D
Yeah, I think the only thing this game really really REALLY needs is some sort of diving move. It just seems natural to be able to dive sideways through a room in this game, but its just not there. Its more than just the slow mo effect, its the pace of the game in both MP and SP. In MP, you need to be able to do something quick because unless someone sucks or has some really crappy luck (you know, firing 30 rounds at close range and not getting a single hit :p), they can take you down if they see you and they have the right gun for the job.

I have yet to actually play an MP game with slowmo though... never found a server that was running it in the demo, and I just played a few rounds tonight.

Whats your favorite game mode and favorite map?