PDA

View Full Version : My eVGA Motherboard is dying!

|MaguS|
11-14-05, 12:26 AM
And in only 3 months... it has taken me over 5 hours just to boot into windows. The issue is that my PC would barely power on, It recieves power but before loading the bios it locks up during the power-on checks. Error codes on the debug LED randomly change.

I was able to boot into windows sometimes but then I would BSOD alittle while later just to get into the nonloading loop.

I have tested other hardware to make single out the motherboard and im pretty certain its the hardware giving me trouble seeing how it wont even load far enough to give me the no videocard installed warning beeps. RAM has been tested in another PC and its all good. I even tried reseating the CPU...

Any suggestions while I wait for an RMA number? I was thinking about picking up a new Motherboard while this one is away on RMA since well it could take over a week to get the new one (how good is eVGA on RMAs?).

EDIT: Update. The board is officially dead. After constant rebooting and crashing it looks like the boot sector in the bios have been damaged. The debug LED is stuck on FF now.

Redshirt #24
11-14-05, 10:05 AM
<looks at his TigerDirect order for an eVGA 7800GT and NF4/SLI board>

This is so not what I wanted to read this morning. :(

As far as other boards go, the A8N32-SLI Deluxe seems to be the current OMFGWTF board out there. But oh, the cost...

Slyder
11-14-05, 01:15 PM
is the gigabyte k8n-sli ($100) mobo a good buy?

Oh baby.. is it...

I recently upgraded to the k8nxp-sli and oh believe me.. its the don.... have you seen what this beast comes with. :eek:

Linky Linky... (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-K8NXP-SLI.htm)

stable as a rock so far... no problems for me, bearing in mind I refuse point blank to overclock anything :)

I did order myself a nice new Audigy 2 ZS (before anyone says anything, I dont think I would use much more from a sound card, but dont like the cpu usage on onboard rubbish.) :)

kev13dd
12-20-05, 02:54 AM
eVGA is pretty fast with their RMAs and customer service. And if they aren't, complain even a tiny bit on their forums and suddenly they are sending you free gifts. Pretty neat

K

|MaguS|
12-20-05, 03:07 AM
Pfft, I got my Board back and it had the same issue. I think it has to do with there new Bios Version, never had an issue till the update. Never going with eVGA for motherboard again, GPUs they rock... everything else they shouldn't bother.

I will RMA the board again once I buy my a new one (havent decided on the new dual x16 or DFI Expert).

superklye
12-20-05, 06:26 AM
is the gigabyte k8n-sli ($100) mobo a good buy?
I have the Ultra, and it's awesome. Stable as a rock, lots of features...the only thing that can potentially suck about it is that the chipset cooler is passive, so if you try too extreme of an overclock, you're going to get shot down since the chipset is going to get too hot.

And, due to the nature of the board, replacing the cooler with an active one isn't possible because it would be too be for you to fit your cards on. :( Ah well...I've got my CPU at 249 in a 6:5 ratio with HTT at 3x and it's been running for months like a dream. :) I think, if I get some better RAM for Christmas, I'm going to try and push it a little harder and see what I get.

Tr1cK
12-20-05, 07:32 AM
I was thinking of trying one of those EVGA boards, but for the money, the DFI Infinity SLI looks great to me.

nV`andrew
12-20-05, 08:44 PM
jesus, this is going to be my first build, and this mobo better not fail me after im already spending a $1000+ on my pc for christmas

ENU291
12-20-05, 09:21 PM
Wow Magus you can't catch a break. First your 360 and now this! Hopefully 2006 will treat you better.

nV`andrew
12-20-05, 09:40 PM
yay my mobo and gfx card here in 1 day from newegg and ups 3 day

wow ur 360 too? hope you have some better luck, and im wishing myself luck wit my build. merry christmas too you all and to all they sickened eVGA Mobos out theere! (xmassign)

Rytr
12-20-05, 10:10 PM
|MaguS|
Sorry to hear about your motherboard woes, if it were not for luck you would have no luck at all!

nV`andrew
Most likely you will enjoy your EVGA board and should be a straight-forward build.
I have been using one since August and it has been powered by 3 different PSUs, has had 3 different CPUs, 2 different pair of ram, and 8 different video cards in both single card and SLI configurations.
It may crash and burn tommorrow but sofar all have performed well with this motherboard with no problems.
(xmassign)

combat_wombat
12-20-05, 10:46 PM
I've also owned the eVGA sli mobo since august, it's been a good board. it's picky about RAM though. now I'm waiting on my 7800GT ---> 7800GTX 512mb step-up (rudolf)

SLippe
05-05-06, 03:30 PM
Thought I'd dig up this old thread.

I'm just put in a RMA on my 2nd eVGA board, making my replacement to be my 3rd. And this is in 2 months.

Oh, look, DFI...

Mr_LoL
05-06-06, 01:14 AM
These are rebadged Jetway boards which are not know for their reliability. Hoefully Evga will use quality components on their next line of mobos. No wonder they were giving it away for free.

rewt
05-06-06, 05:03 AM
These are rebadged Jetway boards which are not know for their reliability. Hoefully Evga will use quality components on their next line of mobos. No wonder they were giving it away for free.

Thats a little harsh. The board is not that bad really. I've been running it overclocked since day 1, and it's been 100% stable. I'd take this free EVGA (or Jetway, whatever it is) board over a $200 DFI anyday...

|MaguS|
05-06-06, 06:47 AM

Actually the Jetway board has recieved many good reviews regarding its OC ability and how stable it is. Problem is that when eVGA rebranded it, they also locked out the ability to use Jeyway Bios which hurt alot since eVGA rarely released new bios.

nV`andrew
05-06-06, 09:46 AM
Thats a little harsh. The board is not that bad really. I've been running it overclocked since day 1, and it's been 100% stable. I'd take this free EVGA (or Jetway, whatever it is) board over a $200 DFI anyday...

i love mine too. i think its awesome especially since it was free. ive had mine since december and it has ran absolutely perfect for me.