PDA

View Full Version : DFI NF3 mobo dead?

ENU291
11-14-05, 11:56 AM
I recently upgraded my gaming PC (thanks Vin86) and migrated my old parts to my FTP server. Everything was running great until a few days ago. I attempted to check my emails on the PC when I noticed that it was hard locked (mouse and keyboard not responding) so I powered off the PC and tried to boot it back up. That's when I heard the dreaded beeps of death! I get long continuous beeps when I power up. I guessed that maybe something happened to my RAM so I flashed the BIOS and replaced the RAM modules. When I power up a second time I see the DFI splash screen but thats it! I can't access the BIOS and the PC does not boot up. What the hell is going on?? If anyone has any idea as to what is happening here let me know.

grey_1
11-14-05, 08:52 PM
google the beep codes. My most common on my abit were memory and something to do with cmos, but the ram beep code was long beeps if I remember right. try ram 1 stick at a time and in differnet slots, and set all overclocks to default first. Good luck.

chowells
11-14-05, 09:12 PM
If you suspected something was wrong with the RAM why did you flash the BIOS? When you're trying to diagnose problems changing more variables is just asking for trouble, particularly with procedures that such as flashing BIOSes that have inherent risks.

grey_1 is right, work out what the beep codes mean. Then work from there, replacing bits until it works.

ENU291
11-15-05, 08:25 AM
If you suspected something was wrong with the RAM why did you flash the BIOS? When you're trying to diagnose problems changing more variables is just asking for trouble, particularly with procedures that such as flashing BIOSes that have inherent risks.

grey_1 is right, work out what the beep codes mean. Then work from there, replacing bits until it works.
I might have worded it wrong. I "cleared" the CMOS. I actually got the PC up and running last night but unfortunately it frozen on me again and started beeping when I tried to reboot. Seems to me that maybe it is a power issue. Since I am using a Antec TrueControl I'm going to see if I raise the voltage up a bit and give the RAM a little more juice. Hopefully that will fix this problem.

chowells
11-15-05, 11:52 AM
Ahh, fair enough. Yeah, changing the PSU might be a good thing to do if you've got one spare.

ENU291
11-17-05, 09:11 AM
I figured out the problem yesterday. It seems like the Corsair XMS 3200LLPT RAM I am using on this board needs 2.8v or more to run 100% stable. Since I had no intentions to overclock this PC I had the default BIOS settings loaded. The default configuration set the vdimm to only 2.5v which was not enough for full stablility. Once I pumped the voltage to 2.8v the PC booted right up and has been running error free ever since. :D