PDA

View Full Version : agp, athlon64 x2, NO VIDEO PLAYS

DrMorelos
11-14-05, 10:06 PM
hi all. i've been searching the forums for about an hour now as a last resort. google has turned up no answers and, sadly, neither have the nvnews forums.

here's the issue, then i'll describe the system:

when attempting to play back any kind of video (avi, wmv, mov, anything but divx), my media player will open the file and redraw itself at the correct size (as though it can READ the file, at least, for dimension information). after redrawing itself, the playback window contains the last picture of the screen (usually some part of the smaller-sized original playback window and some stuff from the background of my screen). video does not play back, but the sounds do.

this exact system has played back video before, on the same installation.

hardware: athlon 64 x2 4400mhz stock clocked
abit ul8 cheapo agp motherboard
geforce6800gt overclocked
forceware 81.85
updated mobo / agp / pci drivers from website
xp pro, no service packs (and) xp 64-bit, updated fully.

i'm kinda stuck because my computer is only 3/4 useful if i don't have full functionality. does anyone know of a similar case of this happening and if so, do you know the fix? i would appreciate any help very much.

~ dr morelos ~

Diamond_G
11-15-05, 04:16 AM
Turn off overlays in WMP to see if that helps.

DrMorelos
11-15-05, 11:35 PM
no change. thanks for the suggestion!

ViN86
11-16-05, 02:47 PM
you have the amd x2 driver installed?
you try other forceware versions?
using a WHQL certified version of the driver?
you have hardware acceleration turned up?

TierMann
11-16-05, 05:57 PM
Check your codecs. If divx is playing then you know that one works atleast.
Are you opening mov files in QuickTime or Windows Media using QT Alternative or something like that? And are you using Windows Media Player at all or a different player?

DrMorelos
02-05-06, 09:00 PM
Yeah; i've found that i can get many things to play in alternative players (quicktime, winamp, divx player, etc), but that workaround won't work with windows-only formats. i'm yanking my hair out here, but thanks much for your support!

~ dan ~

demonized
02-05-06, 09:28 PM
Have you tried media player classic? This player plays anything i throw at it.
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/media_player_classic.cfm

K-1
02-05-06, 09:45 PM
why don't you get the service packs?

bkswaney
02-05-06, 10:12 PM
Well, I for one like Real player. It never fails me. :)