PDA

View Full Version : ANTEC Phantom 500W Power Supply

technoid
11-15-05, 04:33 PM
I'm thinking about using the ANTEC Phantom 500W Power Supply in a new system and wanted to see if anyone here has used it or knows anything about it. With the fan they put in the rear it should be really quiet when it does run and then for 2D only sessions maybe it won't run at all. I'm a quiet computer type and want my system as quiet as possible.

It will be running an AMD 4000+ and 7800GTX (256 or maybe 512). But I don't plan on going SLI so it would only be one card.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Riptide
11-15-05, 05:37 PM
I don't think many people are running this power supply. I have looked at it a few times and wondered how it is myself. Silence is nice. But the price was a bit of a factor and the fact that it still has to use a fan while pulling much power made it kind of not worth bothering with to me.

Still if you get one please post back here and let us know how it is. I'm curious about it.

Sazar
11-15-05, 08:16 PM
I will be getting one next month along with the Zalman Reserator 1 (2nd edition or whatever) so I'll let you guys know then.

ricercar
11-16-05, 04:13 AM
The 350W Antec Phantom is one of the most efficient PSUs available. Way cool. Since it's announcement, the 500W version has tempted me mightily, but somehow I can't reconcile a low RPM silent fan with the juice required for a SLI rig.

technoid
11-16-05, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback. If I end up getting one of these I'll be sure and post how it works out for me.

I don't plan to go SLI but plan to get the GTX512 and this power supply should be fine for one of them. But I don't think I'd use it if I were planning to go SLI down the road.

This power supply with it's slow running fan and then a Zalman on the 4000+ should make a system about as quiet as it could be. I'm also looking at the ANTEC SLK3700-BQE case to keep things quiet. I'll put a 120mm slow fan in the front and back and then use a fan controller on them to keep them as silent as possible. And that's a shame too, buy the case and then have to buy the expensive power supply too. But I'm shooting for a very quiet but very fast system.

Of course any comments are welcome.