PDA

View Full Version : 81.94 - still locking up hard

Pages : [1] 2

Riptide
11-15-05, 11:05 PM
If someone could forward this on to Nvidia it would be nice. It looks like 81.94 locks my system up just like 81.85 was. The system has been fine for a long time now running 78.03 but I had to load the newer driver because of my GTX512. Now CS:S is locking up hard just like when I was having problems with 81.85 - sound stuck in a loop, system frozen up.

When I first had this problem with my 256MB GTX putting 78.03 on there completely cured this. I reloaded Windows last weekend and put 78.03 on there from the start and it continued to be just fine. This evening I loaded 81.94 and the problems are all back again.

I really doubt XFX is going to be able to fix this for me. I sure hate to send the card back but at this point it's either that or deal with the crashing. :(

There really is something broken with these drivers.

AthlonXP1800
11-15-05, 11:19 PM
Reload Windows wont do you any good. I have a laptop since last year, I formatted the hard drive and reload Windows XP from CD and restarted PC, it kept hard crashed XP everytime it restarted PC. Had my laptop formatted and full clean installed Windows XP cured the problem so you will need to have full format and have full clean install XP. :)

TierMann
11-15-05, 11:41 PM
I took a shot at modding the 78.03 64-bit inf to include GTX 512.
If this works (I can't test it myself because I don't have a shiney 512) then I'll make one for 78.05 32-bit too. If it doesn't then could someone who has inf experience please give it a try? Hope it helps.

Edit: The inf seems to word so I'll attach a 78.05 32-bit version also :)

jAkUp
11-16-05, 12:10 AM
Hmm thats weird, and you definetely have the X2 CPU driver installed?

Riptide
11-16-05, 12:20 AM
Last time I loaded the processor driver it didn't take care of the problem so I haven't tried this time.

TierMann can vouch for me that this isn't something I'm likely to be doing wrong or any problem with Windows per se. There is some sort of instability problem with the dual core support in 81.xx. It doesn't seem to affect everyone unfortunately (or furtunately I guess).

It would be nice if Nvidia could fix this. That's why I kinda was wondering if someone could indicate to them that they do have a problem here.

AthlonXP the problem is the driver, reloading Windows is not going to help. I already did that - the problem was NOT there with 78.03. A full format is not going to help this at all. It always comes back once I load 81.85 or this latest 81.94. I never tried 81.87 but I'm certain it would freak out just as well.

TierMann
11-16-05, 09:00 AM
:werd: I can vouch for that. I had a long post in another thread (here we go (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58927&highlight=freeze)) of all the things I tried with this. It happens with any of the dual core drivers (32 and 64) and not a single problem with 78.03 64-bit or 78.05 32-bit. There were a few others with the same prob too and "fixed" in the same way by reverting back to 78.whichever. I'm currently using 81.94 but I modded the inf to remove the Direct Access to see if that makes any difference. It's something I havn't tried yet and I'll keep you posted on it.

Riptide: Did you give that 78.03 inf a try and see if you can install with your 512?

Riptide
11-16-05, 09:05 AM
Here is the thread that I started and we had several participants in.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58927

If anyone doubts what we've done to troubleshoot this I encourage you to view this thread. It should only take a few minutes to get through, just 2 pages.

And TierMann thanks again for your continuing efforts to help out with this. I think I speak for the both of us when I ask again that someone let Nvidia know that there is a problem here. It's just a shame we can't turn in a proper bug report directly to Nvidia. I really am a bit disappointed about that.

Damnit sometimes I wish I lived with my cousin in Santa Clara. Because if I did I'd put my system in my car and drive it over there to show them first hand that Houston, there is a problem. :p

Anyhow TierMann tonight I will use that modded INF and see if I can force 78.03 back on there. If it doesn't work there won't be much else I can do for now except live with this bull**** until it gets fixed. Or until I go back to ATI, whichever comes first. lol

Riptide
11-16-05, 09:30 AM
TierMann you are a GOD. :D

Your modified file installed fine. I had to tell it to overwrite a couple of newer files during the setup process but it seems to have gone on and worked OK. Even shows the correct amount of RAM. I haven't checked clock speeds yet but that will be my next test. Also, check it out here. It looks like 78.03 sees my card as simply a "G70".

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/659/g705ve.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

TierMann
11-16-05, 09:44 AM
Awesome :) As long as there are no strange side effects it should get a few people by for now. I added the 32bit version to my first post too. Clock speeds should come from the bios so that shouldn't be a prob, and I think the card name comes from the control panel (or another dll) itself based on the vendor ID so that's probably why it's only showing G70.

rombat
11-16-05, 10:07 AM
Riptide, did you flash your motherboard bios to the most current one on Asus web site. I think I read info saying do not flash bios using anything after 6.65 chipset drivers. You have to flash your motherboard bios first while using any driver after 6.65... After you flash it you can install the newiest nforce chipset driver. If you still have problems you can try this.

Riptide
11-16-05, 10:07 AM
Well it's not without a strange side effect or two. It loaded OK and 3dmark05 ran alright. In fact I even got a higher score than w/81.94. Crazy huh? lol

Well here's the wierdness. For one it doesn't detect clocks right. After enabling coolbits I went in and took a look at the clocks. It defaults to 275/1.2 when I first go into the clock speed settings. When I choose manual overclocking it unlocks the slider and instantly defaults the core to 580 which is where it should. Memory is still back at 1.2. If I adjust the memory to 1.73 it does pass the test OK and keeps the setting. Unfortunately at that point I end up getting 2D display corruption somewhat randomly. Everything looked pretty scrambled up. A restart fixes that.

I need to play around some more with this and maybe try a different tool to fix the clock settings with. Anyhow, it's a start. :)

@rombat: my system BIOS is the latest, release 1013.

TierMann
11-16-05, 11:19 AM
If you're getting a high score in 3dmark and your games are playing good with improvement over your 256 then I would just ignore what it reads for clock speeds and leave OC'ing off. They might have used a different multiplier or something to get the 580 speeds and since the driver doesn't have the vendor ID it wouldn't know what's up. Just a guess, but if it ain't broke... ;)

Riptide
11-16-05, 11:28 AM
Well my score with the RAM clocked back to 1.2 gets around 8,200. With the RAM clocked up I get over 9100. So I would prefer to clock the RAM up if possible. If I can't then I'm forced to live w/2D corruption or go back to 81.94 and live with the lockups. Either that or stick w/78.03 and keep the RAM clocked down.

I'm not licked yet. I want to try a different program to do the overclocking with. Like RivaTuner. I started a thread asking about it.

BTW I called Nvidia's office today and they connected me with some Peter guy (didn't catch his last name) who is a tech support person for them. I left him a voice mail and we'll see if he calls me back. I don't expect him to whip out a fix in 10 minutes but I just want to let someone over there know that there is a problem and explain everything you and I have done to try to solve it.

I'll let you know what happens.

TierMann
11-16-05, 12:33 PM
An update on 81.94 64 with Direct Access removed...
I havn't had a freeze yet, but I had 3 random reboots. 1 in WoW, 1 in DoD Source, and 1 in FEAR. I'll attach the inf though incase someone else wants to give it a try.

Riptide
11-16-05, 12:43 PM
Reboots - it probably blue screened but rebooted so quick you didn't see anything. I've had it do that in the past. Make sure you have the box checked in system properties so that it doesn't automatically reboot after a bugcheck. I bet you are getting nv4_disp.dll IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. No easy way to tell for sure if it blows up on you like that though and doesn't let you see the error.

TierMann
11-16-05, 12:56 PM
Yeah, probably is BSOD'ing but there's nothing in the event viewer so I'll try your suggestion and try to stop it from rebooting before I play a game again.

Any idea what those errors mean? They seem pretty generic since ram or a bad PSU will give you the same thing.

xgman
11-16-05, 01:01 PM
Either that or stick w/78.03 and keep the RAM clocked down.

Not for $700 you don't!! :thumbdwn:

Riptide
11-16-05, 01:02 PM
If it specifically points out nv4_disp.dll it's probably something to do with the display driver causing the problem. When I had 81.85 loaded with my 256MB GTX the BSOD in FarCry always pointed to nv4_disp.dll.

xgman
11-16-05, 01:03 PM
Reboots - it probably blue screened but rebooted so quick you didn't see anything. I've had it do that in the past. Make sure you have the box checked in system properties so that it doesn't automatically reboot after a bugcheck. I bet you are getting nv4_disp.dll IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. No easy way to tell for sure if it blows up on you like that though and doesn't let you see the error.

Do you think this is an Asus thing? I see both of you have the same board.

Riptide
11-16-05, 01:04 PM
Not for $700 you don't!! :thumbdwn:
Yeah tell me about it. But the restock fee alone is an absolute killer.

I'm pissed off about this but what am I supposed to do? Nvidia won't support the product directly, or at least hasn't so far, and XFX isn't going to be any help here. The problem is with the driver - and it's totally beyond my control. I can't even (yet anyway) get a message through to someone at Nvidia that they have a problem here.

It's very frustrating.

Riptide
11-16-05, 01:05 PM
Do you think this is an Asus thing? I see both of you have the same board.
Hard to say for sure. Comments TierMann? I know you've seen a couple others who had this exact same problem. Did any of them have a different board or were they all using the A8N?

xgman
11-16-05, 01:13 PM
Load the amd X2 driver back up just to be sure the boot.ini is correct.

Riptide
11-16-05, 01:16 PM
Well at this point honestly I just want to try and get 78.03 going. If I'm forced back to 81.94 then I'll play around some more. What choice will I have then right? ;)

I might load the CPU driver anyway though, even if I manage to get 78.03 going OK at the right clocks. It can't hurt anything.

BTW I found a guy on hardforum that says he fixed this problem (sounds like the same issue) by changing some value in his BIOS. I think he disabled PEG link mode but I'm not sure yet. I'm PM'ing him to see. If so I'll see if TierMann tried changing that setting or not. This guy on hardforum is running an A8N.

OWA
11-16-05, 01:17 PM
I have PEG link mode disabled on mine.

Riptide
11-16-05, 01:20 PM
Thanks OWA for chiming in there. I would like to hear from TierMann because I thought he already tried changing that setting and it didn't help him. But my memory isn't perfect there so we'll have to see what he says about it.

You are not having any problems like this then? With the 81.xx?