PDA

View Full Version : What's a good cpu fan/heatsink for Asus A8N-SLI Premium?

Rayman1968
11-15-05, 10:24 PM
I'm looking for a good cpu fan/heatsink for my Asus A8N-SLI Premium mobo. I was looking at the Zalman CNPS7000B-CU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118113). Will this do the trick?

I don't want to get something that's going to require me to get out a heat gun and pry off backing plates and crap like that though. I just want it to bolt/snap on (and not sound like a hair dryer in my case).

Any suggestions?

Scunner
11-16-05, 01:39 AM
Zalman CNPS9500 LED (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223)

Got one on my A8N SLI Deluxe, and works like a charm. Idles in the low 30s, creeps up to a shade over 40 under load.

With Socket 939 boards, you don't have to take off the backplate. I just took off the stock HS/F, cleaned up the cpu, dab of arctic silver, and screwed in the Zalman onto the retention clip. Total work - less than 10 minutes. It's also a good deal lighter than the "flower" HSFs from Zalman.

Comes with Fanmate 2, and is almost undetectable at 25-30%.

Shutdown28
11-16-05, 02:42 AM
Thermalright XP-90 or XP-120 if you feel ballsy

ricercar
11-16-05, 03:56 AM
Call me a wimp, but the stock AMD 939 fansink keeps my CPU under 43°C even while folding and gaming. And it's quiet, too.

crainger
11-16-05, 04:01 AM
Call me a wimp, but the stock AMD 939 fansink keeps my CPU under 43C even while folding and gaming. And it's quiet, too.

wimp

I too also have a A8N-SLI on its way. Should I stick with the stock cooler, or try my Reserator1 on it for the cone of silence effect??

Rayman1968
11-16-05, 08:30 PM
I bought the CNPS7000 but am going to return it and get the CNPS9500 since it's much easier to install.

Now that I'm going to have this fancy fan on my cpu I think my video cards might get jealous when they see this. Any recommendations for an 'easy to install' fan for them?

Thanks.

Scunner
11-17-05, 01:07 AM
I just put two NVSilencer 5 rev 3s on my GTXs this last weekend. There was lots of unscrewing to do; faceplate, heatsink, fan, backplate, memory spreaders... but once all that was off, the new HSF went on very easily.

One thing to note if you go with that cooler, the memory spreader that comes with the kit "sits" on the memory with the aid of sticky thermal tape. Not my idea of a robust solution. Instead, I retained the stock memory spreader and screwed it in place. Works like a charm. I can post photos if anyone's interested.

So, easy? Yeah, I suppose. I'd never done it before and I was done with two in less than an hour. Alternatively, the Zalman GPU coolers seem to do a decent job, but I'm not so keen on the individual sticky memory heatsinks.