PDA

View Full Version : Brand new 7800GT on A64 3500+ can't run AOEIII on "Very High" - What's up?

Pages : [1] 2

Xophile
11-16-05, 02:56 AM
Hey guys!

I just bought myself a brand new 7800GT and use it with my A8N-E motherboard, 1Gb RAM and an Athlon64 3500+.

A few days ago I purchased AOEIII since I've been drooling over the screenshots for a long time and playing the demo. I cranked up all the settings and used 1280*1024. I didn't enable AA since I've read that Very High Shader and AA together is not a good combination on a 6x/7X nvidia card.

The problem is that it doesn't work very well at all. I get about 28-39 FPS and it feels "chobby". If I lower only the Shader qulity from Very High to High, I get about 75-85 (!) FPS and it works great. How is that possible? I mean my card is capable of PS 3.0 and HDR but it shouldn't lower the FPS that much, right? HL2 Lost Coast works extremely well in the same resolution with 4x FSAA.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

BioHazZarD
11-16-05, 05:49 AM
AOE3 is a very sick demanding game i dont get it i could not get the game to run even at 1024x768 medium details without serious mofo stutters every few seconds this is just crazy and overkill and the graphics are not that damn nice to cause my computer to stutter like that... too hell with this game.

macatak
11-16-05, 06:19 AM
Just trade the GT in for a GTX 512mb...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce7800gtx512_24.html
:p

|MaguS|
11-16-05, 07:13 AM
Um so you expect to run the newest and greatest games at max settings with mid-high end gear? Sorry it doesn't work like that. Just because you have some decent gear doesn't mean you can max out every game, new titles that actually take advantage of the newer hardware will push it.

Im kinda of glad that software has finally pushed even the best hardware to its limits, it might force hardware developers to make even better hardware to create a gap once again.

Xophile
11-16-05, 08:10 AM
Magus:

Eh? I don't consider 1280*1024 *without* AA or AF to be max settings. A 7800Gt is nearly the best as you can get today (except for the GTX and another 256Mb).

I sure think that if I'm able to run HL2 at the same resolution with 4x FSAA I should be able to run a strategy game in 3D with those same settings without a fuzz.

|MaguS|
11-16-05, 08:31 AM
Genre's do not specify a limit, Especially when the game has HDR, More action and alot more polygons on screen.

7800GT is what 3rd, maybe 4th top card now? Also your CPU is only a 3500 (RTS are more CPU limited then FPS games, gotta control the AI of all the units on screen, not just 4 or so like most FPS games) and you only have 1GB of ram which has been shown to be at its limits with newer games.

Xophile
11-16-05, 08:46 AM
I guess you're right about the CPU and RAM part but I really thought a 7800GT would more than enough for this game to be like the screenshots.

I tried enabling "auto-overclocking" using coolbits but it generated artifacts in all my games so I guess I'm out of luck getting it faster (I have a Zalman cooler VF700-CU installed)

Oh well - you wanna help me chip in a few $$ for a GTX 512mb? :)

|MaguS|
11-16-05, 08:54 AM
Never use auto overclocking, try overclocking manually, you should be able to push it further.

GTX 512MB wouldn't help that much, your still RAM and CPU limited. RTS games rely alot on RAM and CPU since they have alot more AI and behind scene action going (Even if the CPU Army isn't shown the game still has to track it).

|MaguS|
11-16-05, 08:54 AM
LAME, Double Post. Stupid P.O.S. Temp PC!

Xophile
11-16-05, 09:00 AM
MaguS:

Thanks again for all your replies! I'm really new to Nvidia's cards since I've been an ATI user for ages :)

Do you think it is worth the effort/risk to overclock my card manually using coolbits? I have great ventilation in my Antec Sonata II case (using 2 big 120mm fans from ADDA) but I'm running the Zalman cooler on 5V instead of 12V to keep it quiet.

I don't experiences "hdd-related" lag very often when I'm playing AOEIII, HL2 and Quake4 but maybe another 1Gb would make things smoother anyway?

What do you suggest I upgrade to? An Athlon X2 and another 1Gb or something else?

Thanks!

|MaguS|
11-16-05, 09:05 AM
Well if you can, OC your CPU prior to getting a new one. If you can hit 2.5 or higher it will make a nice difference. 1GB is not 100% better but in AOE3 and games like BF2 and FEAR it helps alot.

Manually OCing your card isn't very dangerous since you have to test all clocks prior to them being applied. Just OC by 5mhz and go slowly. Only jump big gaps if you have an idea of your limit already.

BioHazZarD
11-16-05, 09:33 AM
What a bunch of BS so you need suddenly a FX-55 and 2 gigs of ram to play a RTS to get decent fps... what a joke then.

Pafet
11-16-05, 10:08 AM
If "max" sttings is slow (28 is good enough for me :D) and "very high" is smooth than its the video card, no?
Plus, there are games that will drop your card to it's knees and look like crap so I don't think you should put all the blame on it.

One question though, what is added to the graphics on max settings? maybe it's something thats supposed to be uber-demanding for future systems (like those cool shadows in Riddick)

brady
11-16-05, 10:12 AM
What a bunch of BS so you need suddenly a FX-55 and 2 gigs of ram to play a RTS to get decent fps... what a joke then.

:thumbdwn:

CaptNKILL
11-16-05, 10:26 AM
I play the game at 1280x960 (or 1280x1024? cant remember) with all settings maxed and bloom OFF with 8xAF and it runs fantastic. Bloom makes the game run terrible and look like a blurry mess, turn it off and it will be much faster.

I probably get around 20fps in huge battles, but thats fine, the mouse cursor doesnt lag or get choppy, so low framerate doesnt really effect the game the slightest bit.

Also, keep in mind that when theres a huge movement of soldiers (especially if there is an obstacle in their way) the game will chug, and that isnt video card related. Its hard to believe the game can chug like that on a CPU like mine, but it does.

So yeah, turn off bloom, thatl pretty much fix it.

Xophile
11-16-05, 10:27 AM
Pafet:

the differences between High and Very High is suppose to be HDR so I guess that's what makes my card crawl...

CaptNKill:

I never tried changing the bloom thingie, i'll check it out!

Starscream
11-16-05, 10:56 AM
The problem is that it doesn't work very well at all. I get about 28-39 FPS and it feels "chobby".

Chobby eh?

I've seen choppiness before but not chobbiness. What's the difference? :P

Xophile
11-16-05, 11:15 AM
Well, the difference is that English is not my native language...
<-----

Starscream
11-16-05, 11:51 AM
Well, the difference is that English is not my native language...
<-----

Ah touche.

It would appear Wookies don't in fact live on Endor.

CaptNKILL
11-16-05, 12:04 PM
It would appear Wookies don't in fact live on Endor.
No, but I do...
http://www.bikezoneinc.com/BikeSpeak/i/authorsicons/chewbacca.jpg

And so does the rest of my family...
http://www.toysrgus.com/relics/swhs/chewie-family-icon.jpg

Vagrant Zero
11-17-05, 09:58 PM
No, but I do...
http://www.bikezoneinc.com/BikeSpeak/i/authorsicons/chewbacca.jpg

And so does the rest of my family...
http://www.toysrgus.com/relics/swhs/chewie-family-icon.jpg

Dude tell your mom to go get in a fight with a lawn mower or something.

MustangSVT
11-17-05, 11:11 PM
Um so you expect to run the newest and greatest games at max settings with mid-high end gear? Sorry it doesn't work like that. Just because you have some decent gear doesn't mean you can max out every game, new titles that actually take advantage of the newer hardware will push it.
I find this funny, cause it's referring to a 7800GT and A64 3500+.

Take a look at my computer.

Athlon XP-M @ 2.4GHz
1GB DDR400
6800GT @ Ultra freq.

I run ALL of my games at maximum details with no hitch. I haven't played AOE3, but everything including FEAR, Quake IV, CoD2, etc. I play at either 1280x1024 2xAA 8xAF or noAA 4xAF fully smooth, and by fully smooth, I mean an average of 40fps or higher.

If I had a 7800GT, yea, I'd expect to run ALL **** at maximum. How is 7800GT mid-high end??? 99% of the people I know with "gaming" computers have like either 6600GT (in a good case) or a 9600 Pro. Mid-high end is more like 6800nu. If my 6800GT can run all crap at 1280x1024 with all details on, then yea, I'd expect a 7800GT and A64 to woop my computer's ass and run everything even better than perfect.

KickAssCop
11-18-05, 12:29 AM
System in sig w/ 1.5 GB of ram. I run at 1024*768 max everything including 8xAF forced via control panel and no AA. It runs smooth as silk. The problem with the game is AA since the units are small and many on screen at a time and AA kills tha game. I am hoping 7800GTX will allow me to do better. Btw in the above link w/ ATi and AOE3, ATi looks like a joke and X1800 XL is giving FPS that my 6800GT does. Wtf?

Xophile
11-18-05, 05:03 PM
MustangSVT:

Well, if you read my first post you would have seen that I can pretty much max out every other game on my 7800GT but started this thread since I thought I should be able to do it with a "simple" RTS game. I guess I was wrong. I understand it uses shaders very heavily but c'mon, if HL2, quake4 and FEAR run smooth so should that game. I'm guessing it's bad programming...

Belarnion
11-19-05, 04:48 AM
(...)fully smooth, and by fully smooth, I mean an average of 40fps or higher.(...)

Ehm.
40fps on average is smooth? Eh... no way.
40fps on average probably means minimum fps in the area of 25-30fps?
That would physically hurt my eyes.

I would consider smooth to be minimum fps in the area of 60fps. This is roughly 100fps on average.

In AoE3 that would translate to me running the game on
Vsync: on
Shader Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Low
Water Reflections: [yes]
Bloom Effects: [yes]
High-Poly Models: [no]
Terrain detail objects: [yes]
Particle Quality: Normal

4xAA
1600x1200

I have 2x 7800GT in SLI. With these settings I run the game above 60fps 98% of the time.
This game is *really* demanding