PDA

View Full Version : 1 Year Since HL2 came out

Pages : [1] 2 3

toxikneedle
11-16-05, 06:51 AM
I realized today is exactly 1 year since HL2 was unlocked on Steam. I just wondered how you guys feel about it now that 1 year has passed.

six_storm
11-16-05, 07:06 AM
Wow, this time last year, I was having internet problems and barely got HL2 downloaded from Steam around 5 AM. Time passes by a little too fast these days. HL2 was a great game and has a good amount of replay value.

Superfly
11-16-05, 07:10 AM
HL2 never made me say WOW!!!

I feel glad its all behind us now TBH.

msxyz
11-16-05, 07:15 AM
It's also one year since Bloodllines was published.

One of the best, yet understimated RPGs for PC. And plagued by several engine related problems. Goddamned Source.

jolle
11-16-05, 07:28 AM
Mainly wondering where SvenCoop 2 is at..
Didnt really buy HL2 for HL2, more CS:S and potential mods.. SC2 being the main motivator..

ajay()
11-16-05, 08:12 AM
I got it last Christmas, finished it last month (lots of on and of play, plus steam related problems)
Yesterday I restarted it and realised something pretty quickly that I hadn't before - the initial levels were great, wonderful tension and atmostphere, but the rest of the game just didn't measure up, in fact it got quite boring with only playing with dog and the gravity gun livening things up, well briefly anyway.

Rakeesh
11-16-05, 08:36 AM
It's also one year since Bloodllines was published.

One of the best, yet understimated RPGs for PC. And plagued by several engine related problems. Goddamned Source.

QFT, that was a good game but the source specific bugs plagued it pretty badly.

Mainly wondering where SvenCoop 2 is at..
Didnt really buy HL2 for HL2, more CS:S and potential mods.. SC2 being the main motivator..

Yeah, I actually bought HL2 in anticipation of eventually seeing NS:S be released for it. I didn't even really care about CS:S that much.

msxyz
11-16-05, 08:39 AM
Since Valve "all your MODs are belong to us" it seems like the Source modding scene is quite stagnant. Or is it just my impression ?

jolle
11-16-05, 08:45 AM
Since Valve "all your MODs are belong to us" it seems like the Source modding scene is quite stagnant. Or is it just my impression ?
I dunno, I think it just takes alot more time now with the increased detail, compared to HL1 atleast, and even back then the mods took some time to come out..
plus alot of the old modgroups might be aiming higher this time with more ambitious projects, adding further development time..

BioHazZarD
11-16-05, 09:34 AM
1 Year and the sound stutter is still there.

Ninjaman09
11-16-05, 09:40 AM
A year ago I was probably doing the boat levels right about now. The game worked perfectly then and it works perfectly now. I beat it the same day I started it and it was fantastic through and through. :)

Superfly
11-16-05, 09:56 AM
1 Year and the sound stutter is still there.

ROFL!!

Rakeesh
11-16-05, 10:15 AM
It will take them a few years to fix that, if they ever fix it at all. There was a major sound bug in HL1 that took 5 years for them to fix.

|JuiceZ|
11-16-05, 10:34 AM
Took me a few days to beat it but it was IMO one of the best fps to come out in the last few yrs. Remembering walking through the trainstation for the first time that morning still give me a tingle inside :D

saturnotaku
11-16-05, 10:35 AM
Remembering walking through the trainstation for the first time that morning still give me a tingle inside :D

You sure that wasn't just your previous meal? :p

HL2 was very good, but I still play the original game more.

Lil Sassy
11-16-05, 01:16 PM
The game worked perfectly then and it works perfectly now. Yeah, p, p, p, perf, f, f, fect, t, t, tly one day one. :rolleyes:

CrazyIvan
11-16-05, 01:35 PM
It was a great game and definitely had its moments, but somehow it couldn't live up to my expectations. Especially the ending was kinda disappointing.

Rakeesh
11-16-05, 01:43 PM
I think this game will probably live up to our expectations for the "half life" franchise:

http://blackmesa.leak-free.org/html/images/mr4_st1.jpg

http://blackmesa.leak-free.org/html/images/mr3_officecomplex2.jpg

http://blackmesa.leak-free.org/html/images/mr3_officecomplex3.jpg

http://blackmesa.leak-free.org/html/images/mr3_powerup2.jpg

http://blackmesa.leak-free.org/html/images/mr1_c1a3-1.jpg

http://blackmesa.leak-free.org/html/images/mr2_grenades.jpg

The development team expects to have it ready within a year from now. And valve isn't having any role in the development of this whatsoever, so it should be pretty good in terms of quality and timeliness of release.

Actually on that note, you know what would be quite ironic is if this game comes out before aftermath does. It hasn't been in development as long, its going to be much MUCH longer gameplay wise, they are using almost entirely original artwork that is not already present in HL2, and it is a completely "volunteer" team who has no funding from anybody and all of the developers are doing this solely on their free time.

slick
11-16-05, 02:18 PM
Amen to the Black Mesa Source team and the game. That should be fun reliving HL1 in Source visual quality goodness.

And even a year after it's release, I still think that Source is still the most visually interesting game engine currently out, that'll be topped by UE3 soon enough, but I still think that Source is the best looking as far as photorealism is going, especially with character models. I still have yet to find a game whose character models impress me more than HL2/Source's.

superklye
11-16-05, 02:30 PM
Amen to the Black Mesa Source team and the game. That should be fun reliving HL1 in Source visual quality goodness.

And even a year after it's release, I still think that Source is still the most visually interesting game engine currently out, that'll be topped by UE3 soon enough, but I still think that Source is the best looking as far as photorealism is going, especially with character models. I still have yet to find a game whose character models impress me more than HL2/Source's.
I agree completely on all parts. I'd really like to see a dinosaur mod come out because I think with the capabilities of the engine, we could have a near-Jurassic Park movie gaming experience.

Edge
11-16-05, 02:38 PM
Wow, Black Mesa: Source is an even more massive upgrade than I thought it would be. Just look at the comparision pic of the flooded office...

But I agree with what Alphawolf said earlier about the prospect of having a Natural Selection: Source for the game eventually. That was my all-time favorite online game, so I'd love to see an upgraded version of it (hell, I was disappointed even when they locked out the detail texturing upgrade). Half-life 2 was fun, but really it's the prospect of mods that got me more excited than anything. Unfortunately, that aspect has been pretty slim even a year after the game's release.

toxikneedle
11-16-05, 03:18 PM
Well HL on it's own is one of the best single player FPSs to ever come out. The mods for it were so popular because a lot of people already bought HL1 for it's SP and decided to get the free mods since they already have the game. HL2 doesn't really have any of the mod feel to it yet but I feel it's coming. Mods like Insurgency and Black mesa should be cool.

I will say that personally, 1 year after the game came out I barely play it. DOD:S was fun for a couple of days and although I absolutely loved single player.... I don't really feel like replaying it.

DoomUK
11-16-05, 05:44 PM
One year since HL2... Gosh time goes too fast. Personally I absolutely adored the installment from start to finish, wouldn't have wanted it any other way (exept the various bugs that plague Source/Steam which amazingly still exist).

That Black Mesa mod looks damn awesome, can't wait. What with that and a bigger, better release of Q2: Lost Marine in development - now planned as a Quake 4 mod as opposed to Doom 3 - we've got some great 'amature' (and one uses that word rather lightly, hence the quotes) stuff coming our way :D

nutcrackr
11-16-05, 06:38 PM
Well it's still the better than any new game I've played this year. I think there are a lot of very cool mods coming around the corner hopefully a few real gems mixed in rather than a lot of mediocre mods.

grey_1
11-16-05, 07:24 PM
I bought into hype more for this game than any other, never since. I could have gotten past the stutter if the writing were better,more (by alot) convincing. Nowhere near the caliber of hl1.