PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XII Demo with Dragon Quest VIII Included, Impressions

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
11-16-05, 11:27 AM
Yeah, So the first thing I did was pop in the demo... Honestly while I love the Dragon Quest series... the demo is more interesting to me. I mean this is the real evolution of the Final Fantasy series... Its a big change for the series and I was really interested to see how disappinted I would be with the new system.

Well I can say that all my disappointment was washed away after playing the demo. Its amazing, the new battle system is so great. I love how its seamless and really involved. No longer do you sit back and watch the characters fight. You have to chase the monsters, move around and even run away... all in almost realtime. While the characters will continuously do the same action untill told differently, you can set it to where they will wait untill your next command, which makes it alot more difficult and envolved. No slacking here.

The graphics are just amazing, forget every screenshot or movie you seen... They are complete **** when compared to seeing it in person. Its just that amazing. I read someone that the models were using less detail then FFX but honestly, I think these look far better. The animation and detail with seeing their weapons (which they do draw and holster) is just spectacular. The game is running abit lowres but its not bad when you consider that the battles and adventuring take place all on the same world, no switching at all. Textures are looking nice, better then FFX. The art reminds me alot of FFXI but alot more detailed and crisper.

The music is just as good as any other Final Fantasy, all the tunes are there plus the adventure music for Ashe's part of the demo is great. Very adventerous.

I can't wait to play Dragon Quest VIII, If they have spent as much time and work with it as they did with Final Fantasy XII then I know I wont be disappointed. I read the reviews and I can't wait but for now the demo has my complete attention.

Ninjaman09
11-16-05, 01:01 PM
I have the game sitting on my desk but I can't play it 'till I get home. :(

Toss3
11-16-05, 02:24 PM
AAAARGHHH how can I get hold of this demo???? I'm a very big fan of the FF series and I've waited so long for this game!! And now I want the demo... so please tell me where to get it!

Mr. Hunt
11-16-05, 02:30 PM
AAAARGHHH how can I get hold of this demo???? I'm a very big fan of the FF series and I've waited so long for this game!! And now I want the demo... so please tell me where to get it!

Buy/rent Dragon Quest VIII...

Toss3
11-16-05, 02:38 PM
Buy/rent Dragon Quest VIII...
omg... guess what? It's not even out here yet! :( I have to move to the US sometimes later in life; hate always being one month too late....

Vagrant Zero
11-16-05, 05:08 PM
I gave the demo a whirl just now.

Best. FF. Game. Evar. But I already knew this...I played the game at E3 2004. :p

AgentOtaku
11-17-05, 10:16 AM
yeah, I'm looking forward to FFXII again. These new demo impressions online and in forums have renewed my faith that this FF will actually be worth a dam

I absolutely loathed FFX and never played FFXI

|MaguS|
11-17-05, 11:16 AM
I can't see how anyone but a none Final Fantasy fan could hate FFX, but considering you loved Xenosaga, that doesn't say much about your taste in RPGs. :o

AgentOtaku
11-17-05, 11:49 AM
I can't see how anyone but a none Final Fantasy fan could hate FFX, but considering you loved Xenosaga, that doesn't say much about your taste in RPGs. :o

I love the FF franchise and grew up with it with original NES version being my first. I'm not one of those fanboys that jumped on to the franchise at VII when they got their PSX, claiming it to be the end all be all game.....its overated im sorry

favorites being FFIV, FFVI, FFVIII

I just think X isn't good (I've played its alot BTW). Just because it has Final Fantasy in the title, doesn't mean its mandatory that its has to be lavished with praise my friend :rolleyes:

Xenosaga is an aquired taste my friend, and it has legion of fans that are into it. I'm sorry you didn't like it....

|MaguS|
11-17-05, 12:08 PM
Final Fantasy X had one of the best stories in the series due to it being so straight foward. It never got so confusing and jumbled up like FFVII or FFVIII where they threw so much at you with much of it being pointless. It gave you want you needed as far as story elements.

I personally hated everything about FFVIII except for its story, worse battle system ever and subpar art. I mean Gunblade? WTF!

FFV and FFVI are my favorites with FFX following very close.

Mr. Hunt
11-17-05, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I loved FFX... I just wished it would have been a lot less linear... but I still loved it and Auron is the awesomest FF character EVER!

AgentOtaku
11-17-05, 12:28 PM
Final Fantasy X had one of the best stories in the series due to it being so straight foward. It never got so confusing and jumbled up like FFVII or FFVIII where they threw so much at you with much of it being pointless. It gave you want you needed as far as story elements.

I personally hated everything about FFVIII except for its story, worse battle system ever and subpar art. I mean Gunblade? WTF!

FFV and FFVI are my favorites with FFX following very close.

I guess its the overcomplicated stories that Im attracted to then

Cons of FFX for me:
-Blitzball
-worst main hero in franchise
-Sphere Grid tries to be different and interesting but its ultimately the opposite
-No world map
- majority of voice acting it weak, not to mention is each line is loaded independently IE: very stilted/drawn out dialog that doesn't flow
- Disliked convulted art design....wish they still had Yo****aka amano doing character designs
- music was only servicable. Their really hasn't been a standout soundtrack since FFVI really
- characters were stereotypes for the most part and had minor character arcs
- visually hated how they used 3 different character models for the game

ultimately....I just couldn't like it though and I tried to play it multple times throughout 2 years. I was trying to force myself to think it was good because it had the name Final Fantasy in the title, which you shouldn't have to do

Ninjaman09
11-17-05, 12:40 PM
I love the FF franchise and grew up with it with original NES version being my first. I'm not one of those fanboys that jumped on to the franchise at VII when they got their PSX, claiming it to be the end all be all game.....its overated im sorry

favorites being FFIV, FFVI, FFVIII

I just think X isn't good (I've played its alot BTW). Just because it has Final Fantasy in the title, doesn't mean its mandatory that its has to be lavished with praise my friend :rolleyes:

Xenosaga is an aquired taste my friend, and it has legion of fans that are into it. I'm sorry you didn't like it....
I'm the same way, I loved VI and VI the most, though I hated VIII, thought it was the worst one by far. BTW I'm one of the weirdos who though FFIX was the best on the PSX ;)

VII is VERY overrated, nice to finally meet someone who agrees. I liked X's battle system and "leveling" system a lot, it was a breath of fresh air, and the endgame dungeons and sidequests were pretty cool. I liked the story a lot as well. I never got into Blitzball though. :p

As far as Xenosaga I guess I was expecting too much being a gigantic Xenogears fan. I felt it fell far short of the hype and reviews. Granted I never spent much time with it...

|MaguS|
11-17-05, 12:48 PM
What Ninja said... about everything, lol. I love FFVII but I don't think its as great as everyone claims it to be. Sephiroth is cool but not a great villian, FFIX and FFVI just had better bad guys and over all story.

I love complicated stories but I hate when they throw information that is just boring or uninteresting (or pointless) which FFVIII did often. Even Xenogears (which I LOVE) had many flaws with its story just dropping and then picking up again. This is what I loved about FFX, It was strong all the way through thanks to it being alot more linear then the past games.

While I agree that Blitzball was just boring and annoying, I ignored it and loved everything else about the game. The music was amazing, some of the best in the series. I love the rock tune for the intro to Blitzball and the main love song... just amazing.

Mr. Hunt
11-17-05, 01:04 PM
I LOVED the Sphere grid... I liked how it was done.

H3avyM3tal
11-19-05, 04:26 PM
FFX was great. Its the characters I don't really like...

Thats the same reason I think FF7 is not overrated at all. It's main characters are not 17 years old, its a very depressing world, not all lively and colorful like 9 or 10, and the main characters actually had a deep and often involving past. No other FF game besides 7 and 8 had a real touching on tye characters past like this.

Battle system is great, but I really dont give a damn about the games itself when the story in question is like in FF7.

Best - Story - Ever.

I dont care for the graphics, battle system, music or whatever. That story is the best. The fact that the music is also some of the best ever in games is just a huge plus as far as I'm concerned.

The unique prospect that most of the FF7 characters had something in common - unlike the other FFs (not including 8, which imho is the 2nd best) - ie they hated ShinRa, act as a basis here. I really hated how they throw in Tidus in a new world, with a not-so-interesting father complex, right into a world so different than his own...

Imho, ppl should think hard why FF7 is so highly successful. There is a reason for this.

Ninjaman09
11-21-05, 12:39 PM
Whoa dude...are you seriously trying to say that Final Fantasy X's world was CHEERFUL? You're kidding, right? That was the most depressing Final Fantasy I've ever played by leaps and bounds.
No other FF game besides 7 and 8 had a real touching on tye characters past like this.
FF4 & FF6. Cecil, Kain, Yang, Tellah, Rydia, Edge, Sabin, Edgar, Locke, Setzer, Terra, Cyan, Gau, Celes, etc... these were more likable characters too.
Best - Story - Ever.
I would disagree. The best RPG story I've encountered was not a Final Fantasy game, but of the Final Fantasy series, I'd have to say that FF4 takes the cake for story quality. FFVII's story started out strong but ended up disjointed, abstract, and ultimately nonsensical. I liken its ending to Neon Genesis Evangelion. I couldn't stand it.

Final Fantasy's music has been going downhill since VII.

The unique prospect that most of the FF7 characters had something in common - unlike the other FFs
Uh? Have you played any of the SNES Final Fantasies?

Listen dude there's a reason most people like Final Fantasy VII the best and I'm positive that this is true for you judging by what you've said. It was the first FF game they played, and their first RPG in many cases. FFVII was unique at the time because it probably had the best production value ever at its release and attracted millions of people to an otherwise niche genre. But as far as Final Fantasies go, for someone who's been playing FF games since the first one on the NES, it is definitely up at the top of the list but is easily overshadowed by its better predescessors. FFVII was a spectacular game in its own right. However the character development however was no more in-depth than it was in any of the SNES titles. The music isn't as good. The battle system is basically the same, only with better graphics (and less characters). I would give it points for the excellent Materia system but other than that it didn't have much more to offer (and I kind of liked the Esper system better anyway). If you had played the Final Fantasy series prior to FF7 and still feel that it is better, well more power to you, but personally I see it as having many shortcomings.

Anyway on topic, I tried out the FFXII demo yesterday. I'm still undecided about it but it was definitely interesting. I'm going to play it a few more times and see if it sinks in. It feels too much like an MMORPG at the moment.

AgentOtaku
11-21-05, 12:54 PM
Whoa dude...are you seriously trying to say that Final Fantasy X's world was CHEERFUL? You're kidding, right? That was the most depressing Final Fantasy I've ever played by leaps and bounds.

FF4 & FF6. Cecil, Kain, Yang, Tellah, Rydia, Edge, Sabin, Edgar, Locke, Setzer, Terra, Cyan, Gau, Celes, etc... these were more likable characters too.

I would disagree. The best RPG story I've encountered was not a Final Fantasy game, but of the Final Fantasy series, I'd have to say that FF4 takes the cake for story quality. FFVII's story started out strong but ended up disjointed, abstract, and ultimately nonsensical. I liken its ending to Neon Genesis Evangelion. I couldn't stand it.

Final Fantasy's music has been going downhill since VII.

Uh? Have you played any of the SNES Final Fantasies?

Listen dude there's a reason most people like Final Fantasy VII the best and I'm positive that this is true for you judging by what you've said. It was the first FF game they played, and their first RPG in many cases. FFVII was unique at the time because it probably had the best production value ever at its release and attracted millions of people to an otherwise niche genre. But as far as Final Fantasies go, for someone who's been playing FF games since the first one on the NES, it is definitely up at the top of the list but is easily overshadowed by its better predescessors. FFVII was a spectacular game in its own right. However the character development however was no more in-depth than it was in any of the SNES titles. The music isn't as good. The battle system is basically the same, only with better graphics (and less characters). I would give it points for the excellent Materia system but other than that it didn't have much more to offer (and I kind of liked the Esper system better anyway). If you had played the Final Fantasy series prior to FF7 and still feel that it is better, well more power to you, but personally I see it as having many shortcomings.

Anyway on topic, I tried out the FFXII demo yesterday. I'm still undecided about it but it was definitely interesting. I'm going to play it a few more times and see if it sinks in. It feels too much like an MMORPG at the moment.

QFT! :D

lognoronon
11-21-05, 01:29 PM
Well so far I don't like it. As was said it feels too much like an MMO. I play MMO's so I don't hate them but I don't want it in a console RPG. It's looking like DQ8 is going to be the best console RPG for a while.

AgentOtaku
11-21-05, 01:36 PM
I watched the videos that gametrailers posted

I thought it looks interesting (in a good way) and I hope this game can renew my faith in the franchise. Sure it looks like it its borrowing a little from FFXI as far as it battle system is concerned (as well as KOTOR), but if its done well, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Looks more dynamic to me.

Even the artstyle isn't bothering as much anymore
The sound and music, from the little of it I heard, sounded awesome! Actually sounds like FF games will have above average music again
Graphic wise, the game looks solid

Ninjaman09
11-21-05, 02:25 PM
Well so far I don't like it. As was said it feels too much like an MMO. I play MMO's so I don't hate them but I don't want it in a console RPG. It's looking like DQ8 is going to be the best console RPG for a while.
Yes DQ8 is definitely the best RPG I've played in years and will probably remain that way for a long time. :)

Like AgentOtaku said FFXII reminded me very strongly of KoTOR. Not a bad thing really.

And the graphics (referring to FFXII). GOOD LORD. I'm not one to fall head-over-heels for a game because of eye candy but good christ this game has the best graphics I've ever seen on a console.

Vagrant Zero
11-21-05, 02:28 PM
Yes DQ8 is definitely the best RPG I've played in years and will probably remain that way for a long time. :)

Like AgentOtaku said FFXII reminded me very strongly of KoTOR. Not a bad thing really.

And the graphics. GOOD LORD. I'm not one to fall head-over-heels for a game because of eye candy but good christ this game has the best graphics I've ever seen on a console.

I hope Rogue Galaxy will be released in the US. It's Level 5's [DQ8 developers] next cell-shaded game and it looks even better than DQ8.

Ninjaman09
11-21-05, 02:40 PM
Just to clarify I was talking about FFXII's graphics. Though DQ8 does look awesome. :)

hazindu
11-28-05, 11:42 AM
So far I'm really enjoying dq8. It's a pretty adictive rpg, I just wish I could save anywhere. Square needs to understand that we like the dragon warrior in spite of (not because of) ony being able to save in one place.

As far as the ff12 demo, I havent been that dissapointed in Square since they announced that ff11 would be an online game. I just didn't dig their combat system at all.

Slybri
11-29-05, 02:29 PM
I'm about 40 hours into DQ8 and lovin the heck out of it. Good old school turn based rpg fun. The reason I love these games is because I'm a slacker. Turn based games are the most casual games ever invented. No rush, take your time, the bad guys will wait for your move. I like to lay back in my lay-z-boy with a coke or a smoke in one hand and and give orders. You can literally play the game with one hand on the controller. If I fall asleep while playing, I wake up and my crew is just waiting for me to give them the next order. Casual, good story, lots to explore and discover. No worrying about timing or button combos. Just old school strategy.
That's not to say I don't like the action rpg either. I loved Star Ocean 3, and I have Radiata stories waiting for me. Hated FFX2 though, but who did'n't. It's like it's somewhere in between turn based and hack n' slash, and that bothers me. The new combat in FFXII dissapoints me slightly, but I'll enjoy it all the same.

BTW, if you're desperate for a turn based RPG for teh PSP, don't get "Legend of Heroes" It's really stinking awful.