PDA

View Full Version : I can finally say goodbye to my Dialup

john19055
11-16-05, 12:19 PM
I have had a dialup internet for so long and downloading at 5kbps was getting real old ,hell it got old a long time ago ,but now I am getting DSL and it will be like being in heaven,Finally I can download those 100 to 300mb patches.Now I will be able to get the 20053Dbenchmark and see what it looks like.,This is'nt a big deal to most people who has'nt had dial-up in years,but to me this is great news no more 20 hour downloads for a patch and when I would do one of those long asss downloads,it would always be currupted and I feel for anybody that still has a 56K dial-up modem.

jAkUp
11-16-05, 12:29 PM
Why the hell did you have dial up for so long??!!

Q
11-16-05, 12:32 PM
In college I have the network (duh..) but at "home" I still have dialup.

Why? Because its not available in one part my area and is expensive and unreliable in the other. Nesbe cable offers it in my area with tons of restrictions and little bandwidth. Like a 128k down a month for $50 with a 1GB download limit.

And that is if you're lucky enough to be in their service area.

Gentle
11-18-05, 03:44 PM
When I got my first 3D accelerator back in 1997'ish, I wanted broadband *SO BAD*... But my local cable company did not have plans to introduce it in my area.

They were "testing" in some small backwater town and would bring it out for the major population "soon".

I kept calling them and calling them and finally in 2000, I said forget it and got DSL.

Being relatively close to the phone company "CO" (central office) in my neighborhood I got the maximum bandwidth the profile I purchased would allow. 1.5Mbps/384kbps.

The world was a different place.

I could as noted by the original poster, download large patches and benchmarks and demos.

It was at this time that I cancelled my subscriptions to the gaming magazines (for the demos) and also the second telephone line, thereby saving money while upgrading to a high speed connection.

More recently, I had a 6Mbps/608kbps connection which was sweet. After complaining about some random line noise, they re-profiled me to 3Mbps/512kbps. That sucked. This is still quite fast however.

A big difference between dial-up and broadband is that if you see a link to a video somewhere, where on dial-up you think about clicking on the link, on broadband, you just click it.

Gentle

ynnek
11-18-05, 04:13 PM
Some of my coworkers, that live on a relatively big plot of land out n the middle of nowhere, still don't have broadband.. One uses Dialup.. Another is stuck using ISDN, caues thats the best he could get..

I can't imagine that!
:eek: