PDA

View Full Version : nice gem of a sound card

Pages : [1] 2

wheeljack12
11-16-05, 11:58 PM
Myself recently am going to upgrade to the X-fi fatal1ty. On the other hand, my brother recently got the creative audigy 4. It's a non pro card without all of the bells and whistles. And I mean no firewire or game port either. So for the IRQ conscious and those not wanting to put out heavy coin for the x-fi, check it out. And they make x64 drivers for it. Right out of the box. Actually is branded on the box 64 bit ready. The hard part is that Creative isn't getting thing to retail. Probably because the release is overshadowed (and for creative's bank acct. they want it that way) by the X-fi.

Linky:
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=434&product=14103

superklye
11-17-05, 12:10 AM
Yeah, this kinda came out and nothing was ever said about it. Seemed like an okay card, thought it was just another modified Live! core, rebranded as an Audigy, so going from, say, and Audigy 2 to the 4 really didn't make any sense.

Riptide
11-17-05, 12:30 PM
I just ordered an X-FI today. My Christmas present to me. ;)
I ordered just the regular xtreme music version.

Hopefully will help take a bit of the load off my CPU and also make the sound a bit better vs. the onboard Realtek (which has been OK btw).

A friend of mine noticed this in a newegg review for the X-Fi though and wasn't very impressed. Apparently this only affects people who want to hook up a keyboard or similar device to the card.
My biggest gripe with the card, however, is that it is absolutely terrible for recording. I tried running a drum machine, a synth, and a guitar pre-amp through the card's "Line In" and what I heard through my monitors sounded like it was coming from under a blanket. Ok, the card was not intended as an audio interface, I accept. However, why does ASIO performance have to be so poor. Reason and Absynth stutter, Live screeches and has to have its latency set to 50ms for it to work correctly. This is simply unacceptable for card marketed as a gaming card with robust "audio creation" capability.
Apparently this 50ms latency is pretty bad for people trying to use the card with some external devices.

Nutty
11-17-05, 02:01 PM
IF you want todo music production, dont get Creative crap. Get a proper soundcard designed for audio creation. Theres way better out there than Creative.

123lanoix
11-18-05, 05:55 PM
YEA could you name some i would like to know this !

superklye
11-18-05, 07:04 PM
M-Audio is one of the best if not the best for professional audio creation. Right now, I'm just playing around with it. Creative offered the full package for a reasonable price, so I took it.

Banko
11-18-05, 10:37 PM
We have Audigy 4's in Circuit City.

Dazz
11-19-05, 02:34 AM
If you are wanting Professional sound cards then creative have their own range. Can't compair Consumor cards to Professional cards http://us.creative.com/products/category.asp?category=237

Monnie Rock
11-19-05, 08:53 AM
Hello Everyone,

If you want a real soundcard / audio interface here is what something you should check out. Being a musician, this device has been well worth it.

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/firewire/ff800.htm

http://www.rme-audio.com/images/firewire/ff800_front.jpg
http://www.rme-audio.com/images/firewire/ff800_rear.jpg

superklye
11-19-05, 10:08 AM
If you are wanting Professional sound cards then creative have their own range. Can't compair Consumor cards to Professional cards http://us.creative.com/products/category.asp?category=237
Wow, I didn't even know they had professional level cards.

Drumphil
11-19-05, 10:58 AM
Wow, I didn't even know they had professional level cards.

EMU have been making some of the best digital audio gear in the world for years, and the same chips power the creative consumer gear. Same chips that power the sblive and audigy series cards. Anyway, creative sound cards from the sblive series onwards have had good (sblive) to excelent (audigy2 and newer) sound quality. Driver and compatibility issues getting the things to work properly in the first place and not crash were the main problems with these cards. (anyway, all my creative gear works fine these days)

IF you want todo music production, dont get Creative crap. Get a proper soundcard designed for audio creation. Theres way better out there than Creative.

No. Thats kinda correct in a very limited and about 4 years outa date kinda way. If you wan't preamps on your card, get a card with preamps (duh), but of course creative make stuff like this too. Of course if you are building a system specifically for audio production that has to interface with studio gear you would be a fool not to get a professional card, but if you just wan't to get a couple of line level signals at a time recorded well the Audigy2ZS series cards actually do better than some m-audio and other more pro cards. The problem isn't creative, its people unrealistically comparing products designed for different roles, and misunderstanding and overestimating the seriousness of some of the compromises with the consumer cards for recording. (no bit perfect sample positon accurate transfers? gee, that'll be sound quality killer for my home studio set up in the spare room)

Creative may have had their share of driver and compatibility issues, but lack of sound quality really hasn't been a big issue for them.

superklye
11-19-05, 11:01 AM
EMU have been making some of the best digital audio gear in the world for years, and the same chips power the creative consumer gear. There is nothing wrong with the EMU designs.
Wow, I didn't even know you posted outside of Politics and Religion. :eek:

wheeljack12
11-19-05, 02:42 PM
Banko that's weird. I checked the etailer search engines (pricewatch, pricegrabber, dealtime, smartdeals, and bizrate) along with favorite US and CDN stores, couldn't find it.

nrdstrm
11-19-05, 05:25 PM
My friend uses the "Firepod". He loves it and has been using it for about 6 months. He got his at guitar center (http://www.guitarvision.com/mf/mf_frameset.htm)
Runs about $600 or so...

seeker010
11-21-05, 11:22 PM
for something cheap the delta 1010-lt is a good value, and supports 7.1 recording

wheeljack12
11-22-05, 10:17 AM
guys, I didn't start this thread for professional recording hardware. It was for the guy who can't spend the big coing but wants some good cheap sound. And he doesn't have to sacrifice IRQ's on things he won't use like extinct gaming ports and Firewire.

superklye
11-22-05, 10:57 AM
And the thread evolved...what's the problem?

OWA
11-22-05, 11:11 AM
Banko that's weird. I checked the etailer search engines (pricewatch, pricegrabber, dealtime, smartdeals, and bizrate) along with favorite US and CDN stores, couldn't find it.
I've seen them at Best Buy in my area.

Riptide
11-22-05, 11:12 AM
Speaking of extinct gaming ports... Do newer joysticks work through USB? My old sidewinder, a good joystick, needs a game port to function. Just wondering if the newer stuff still needs the old port.

OWA
11-22-05, 11:22 AM
I have a newer version of the sidewinder and it was USB. It did include a USB to gameport adapter as well though. Anyway, I think everything is USB now. I've got a few gamepads, joysticks and steering wheels that I bought during the last couple of years and they're all USB.

Riptide
11-22-05, 11:43 AM
Hrmm... What I need is a gameport to USB adapter so I don't have install the game port for my motherboard. I wonder if my X-Fi Xtrememusic will come w/a game port built-in. ?

OWA
11-22-05, 12:01 PM
I'll check tonight but I think it does have a gameport. I was surprised since the gameport is largely a legacy device now so I didn't think a new soundcard would support it.

Actually, now that you mention it, that is what came with my latest sidewinder. The standard cable ended with a gameport plug but they included a gameport to USB adapter. I don't think you'll need it though since I think all the X-Fi cards have a gameport.

Riptide
11-22-05, 12:03 PM
Well if the X-Fi comes with the port I need then no worries. I'm just kinda thinking about trying X3 and I'll need my sidewinder for that. :)

Thanks for checking though but don't worry about it. My X-Fi should be here today so I'll know soon enough. ;)

superklye
11-22-05, 12:21 PM
I'll check tonight but I think it does have a gameport. I was surprised since the gameport is largely a legacy device now so I didn't think a new soundcard would support it.

Actually, now that you mention it, that is what came with my latest sidewinder. The standard cable ended with a gameport plug but they included a gameport to USB adapter. I don't think you'll need it though since I think all the X-Fi cards have a gameport.
I don't think my Elite Pro has one, but I can check when I get home.

Riptide
11-22-05, 01:43 PM
I just looked at the card and it doesn't appear to have the right port.

Anyone know where I could obtain an adapter that will let me plug my game port style joystick into a USB port then? Thx

EDIT Nevermind. This won't work. I am going to have to attach the header to the motherboard and use the onboard gameport. The joystick is probably not USB aware in the first place and so it won't be properly identified via PnP even if I did manage to get an adapter. /sigh

Guess it's time for a new joystick if I really need to use USB. I think in this case though, considering how expensive that thing was, I'll forget about that for now though and just use the header.