PDA

View Full Version : Question about ram options

einstein_314
11-17-05, 12:15 AM
Ok here's the situation. I've ordered a set of OCZ Platinum PC4000 2x1GB from NCIX.com. (I order all my stuff from there). Now apparently this stuff has a worldwide shortage at the moment so nobody has it in stock. This is true. I've looked all over the place and everybody says out of stock. I ordered it on Nov 2 and was told it would be in by the 15th (yesterday). Now they're saying it won't be here until the 30th. I'm not too happy about this but I don't have many options.

My only option I can see is go with the OCZ GOLD PC4000 2x1GB. I really wanted the platinum stuff but I want to know if this is pretty much as good. Do you think there is a noticable difference between the two? The only big thing I can see is that the timings on the Platinum are better (2.5-3-3-8 rather than 3-3-4-8).

So my question is, what should I do. Wait the 2 weeks (possibly more) or go with the gold stuff. Or is there another option I should consider?

superklye
11-17-05, 12:17 AM
Ok here's the situation. I've ordered a set of OCZ Platinum PC4000 2x1GB from NCIX.com. (I order all my stuff from there). Now apparently this stuff has a worldwide shortage at the moment so nobody has it in stock. This is true. I've looked all over the place and everybody says out of stock. I ordered it on Nov 2 and was told it would be in by the 15th (yesterday). Now they're saying it won't be here until the 30th. I'm not too happy about this but I don't have many options.

My only option I can see is go with the OCZ GOLD PC4000 2x1GB. I really wanted the platinum stuff but I want to know if this is pretty much as good. Do you think there is a noticable difference between the two? The only big thing I can see is that the timings on the Platinum are better (2.5-3-3-8 rather than 3-3-4-8).

So my question is, what should I do. Wait the 2 weeks (possibly more) or go with the gold stuff. Or is there another option I should consider?
Do timings make that huge of a difference? I thought there was a big thing done over at Anand this summer showing that timings had almost no effect on performance at all.

Peoples-Agent
11-17-05, 12:53 AM
If your planning to overclock, your probably have to set them to SPD anyhow, so I guess it won't make the foggiest difference. I would be more leered towards the platinum though just for peace of mind, depending on how much price difference there is.

einstein_314
11-17-05, 12:48 PM
Do timings make that huge of a difference? I thought there was a big thing done over at Anand this summer showing that timings had almost no effect on performance at all.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I think the Gold stuff is what jAk has. Maybe I'll drop him a pm. Or hope he sees this thread. Right now I'm leaning towards screwing the platinum and getting the gold. Right now I'm using my old kingston hyperx stuff. Doesn't agree with the DFI SLI-DR very well.

If your planning to overclock, your probably have to set them to SPD anyhow, so I guess it won't make the foggiest difference. I would be more leered towards the platinum though just for peace of mind, depending on how much price difference there is.

Well, even if I wasn't overclocking, I'd still set the timings manually. There is pretty much no price difference (not sure why) .