PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest VIII is awesome.

Ninjaman09
11-17-05, 08:39 AM
Oh man, this is such an awesome game! It's seriously just straight-up Dragon Quest, with much improved graphics and streamlined gameplay, and much more story. I've only played about an hour so far but I can tell this one's gonna have me hooked for a while. Finally something to get me away from WoW!

One word of warning though - turn the voices off. They're awful and I have no idea why they were added, as they were not in the original Japanese version.

AgentOtaku
11-17-05, 10:12 AM
Yah I wanna play this alot too, I currently tied up with Xenosaga I and II though, then Tales of Symphonia....

but I'll definetly be picking this one up when it comes down in price through a vendor on Amazon; my no.1 source of games!

I read a couple of reviews of it and they said the voice acting is some of the best this year? why don't you like it? whats wrong with it?

If its up to the caliber of Tales or Xeno, I'm sold.....now if its FFX quality....well RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! :eek:

Ninjaman09
11-17-05, 10:41 AM
Heh heh, well I thought the VA delivery was really obnoxious. Lots of overacting and the accents were really cheesy. It's a non-issue really because you can just turn it off.

I don't know if you'd be the right person to talk to about it though because I couldn't stand Xenosaga and I loved FFX. Also Tales of Phantasia was a great game but Tales of Symphonia was pretty bad, in my opinion - though if you can take the VA in that game, I'm sure DQ8 won't bother you.

Basically, the game is EXACTLY like the old DQ games. My personal favorites of the series, in order, are DQ4, DQ2, and DQ1, and the only major difference I can see in this one is the Skill system. I love the DQ series and it's been a really long time since I've played any of them. If you're a fan of DQ, you will like this game. :)

AgentOtaku
11-17-05, 10:53 AM
Heh heh, well I thought the VA delivery was really obnoxious. Lots of overacting and the accents were really cheesy. It's a non-issue really because you can just turn it off.

I don't know if you'd be the right person to talk to about it though because I couldn't stand Xenosaga and I loved FFX. Also Tales of Phantasia was a great game but Tales of Symphonia was pretty bad, in my opinion - though if you can take the VA in that game, I'm sure DQ8 won't bother you.

Basically, the game is EXACTLY like the old DQ games. My personal favorites of the series, in order, are DQ4, DQ2, and DQ1, and the only major difference I can see in this one is the Skill system. I love the DQ series and it's been a really long time since I've played any of them. If you're a fan of DQ, you will like this game. :)

WERD

what didn't you like about Xeno series?

Ninjaman09
11-17-05, 10:57 AM
what didn't you like about Xeno series?
Well I never played the second game, but I owned Xenosaga briefly (luckily it was when Funcoland allowed a 7-day window for a full refund on opened games). I didn't enjoy the combat system very much, I wasn't very interested in the characters, and basically the entire time I played the game, I probably spent about 10 minutes actually controlling my characters. The rest of the time was just an overblown cutscene. I played it for a couple of days and just lost interest completely.

AgentOtaku
11-17-05, 11:11 AM
Well I never played the second game, but I owned Xenosaga briefly (luckily it was when Funcoland allowed a 7-day window for a full refund on opened games). I didn't enjoy the combat system very much, I wasn't very interested in the characters, and basically the entire time I played the game, I probably spent about 10 minutes actually controlling my characters. The rest of the time was just an overblown cutscene. I played it for a couple of days and just lost interest completely.

whoa, the are the exact reasons I love the game :lol:

|MaguS|
11-17-05, 11:15 AM
I hated Xenosaga, One of the worse RPGs out there and an insult to Xenogears. As for DQ8, Im loving it. I have no problem with the voices, I like how Yangus sounds. The games graphics are just great but I kinda dislike the main villian mainly because hes so unoriginal, its magus from CT but a slight tweak in the look and they just added Dhoul infront of magus... LAME.

Im about 2+ hours into it, I spent the first hour or so leveling up and gaining money to get better gear. The difficulty is there so its a great challange, very much like old school RPGs.

Ninjaman09
11-17-05, 11:41 AM
I hated Xenosaga, One of the worse RPGs out there and an insult to Xenogears. As for DQ8, Im loving it. I have no problem with the voices, I like how Yangus sounds. The games graphics are just great but I kinda dislike the main villian mainly because hes so unoriginal, its magus from CT but a slight tweak in the look and they just added Dhoul infront of magus... LAME.
LOL I think that might be your preoccupation with Magus talking. I don't think he's very similar to Magus so far. Hmm now that you mention it Yangus's voice did sound pretty awesome, I guess I just don't like voice acting in RPGs. ;)

Im about 2+ hours into it, I spent the first hour or so leveling up and gaining money to get better gear. The difficulty is there so its a great challange, very much like old school RPGs.
Oh man that's what I love about it. It reminded me so much of when I used to play DQ2, one of my favorite things about it was hanging around the towns, learning new spells, leveling, getting used to the monsters in the region, and saving up for new weapons. When you were finally ready to assault whatever dungeon you were near, your guys had such marked improvement and it was so rewarding to see how far you had come while you whaled on the tough guys in the tower/cave/castle/whatever. This game is a throwback to those days and I freaking LOVE it! And it's actually HARD! :D

Vagrant Zero
11-18-05, 02:34 AM
Just put my first hour into DQ8. I'm hooked. But I have to get through it quickly since I also wanna play Magna Carta. And I might even give FFXI a shot, since I absolutely love the FFXII battle system.

Veger
11-18-05, 08:55 AM
Yes I love it too awesome game.

Ninjaman09
11-18-05, 10:35 AM
Yeah I put a couple more hours into it last night, I'm loving it. Nostalgia out the wazoo and the game itself is frickin awesome too.

lognoronon
11-20-05, 01:48 AM
Just picked it up and 4 hours spent so far and just got to the second town. Loving it so far.

Bad_Boy
11-20-05, 03:07 PM
I got it also, i havent put it on my hd yet cause im still playing this kingdom of paradise game on the psp (going 10 hours so far and i only have 50% "kenpu", great rpg for the psp) ...and im not much of a rpg fan though im trying to get into the genre. i dont like to play more than one rpg at a time so soon as i beat KOP im gonna give this a run :D

seems to be a great title the way you guys describe it.

Slybri
11-20-05, 09:31 PM
Jessica's rack is the best since Lulu's!
well animated too i might add!
:D

Great game so far. Simple and fun old school turn based RPG, of which they don't make enough of anymore. Why can't they make a game like this for the PSP?

Oh and the music! Overwhelmingly awesome!

And BTW I loved Xenosaga I. Hated Xenosaga II.

Ninjaman09
11-21-05, 06:53 AM
Yeah I've put about 13 hours into this so far and I'm having more fun than I've had since Skies of Arcadia. This game friggin rocks.