PDA

View Full Version : Memory Question

technoid
11-17-05, 12:46 PM
I'm planning to buy an Athlon 4000+ San Diego and want to double check on using the ram I already have. I have 2 GIG of ram in 4 sticks of 512MB that I'd like to use in the new system but I want it to run at 1T and avoid the 2T problem that 4 Sticks of RAM used to have when installed in an Athlon board. My understanding is that the new .09 micron processors from AMD has an improved memory controller that will run 1T with 4 sticks of RAM and run at the full 400 Mhz instead of dropping back to 333 Mhz like before, is that true?

My current RAM is 4 Sticks of 512MB Kingston Value RAM which runs at 1T 3-3-3-8 on my current Pentium 4 Northwood board. I'm finally going to make the jump to AMD and I don't want to mess anything up on the way :)

Thanks for your help.

technoid
11-18-05, 11:10 AM
Did I forget to take a bath or doesn't anyone know the answer :)

Dazz
11-18-05, 12:34 PM
You are mistaken, only T2 will work with 4 Double sided DIMM's. The San Diego core just allows you to have the memory at 400MHz (333MHz before) However the DFI crossfire board is so post to have a work around to allow you to use T1 with 4 DIMM's.

technoid
11-18-05, 03:19 PM
You are mistaken, only T2 will work with 4 Double sided DIMM's. The San Diego core just allows you to have the memory at 400MHz (333MHz before) However the DFI crossfire board is so post to have a work around to allow you to use T1 with 4 DIMM's.
Thanks Dazz, that's why I was checking. I've always ran Intel processors so I wasn't certain what the improvement really was in the San Diego core. My current ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe shows 1T 3 3 3 8 for the Kingston Value ram I have now.

So the real deal is, my 4 512MB sticks of RAM "will" work at 400 Mhz instead of 333 Mhz but they will run at "2T" instead of "1T". Let me ask you two more things if you don't mind.

1) That will reduce the memory bandwidth in a RAM test like SiSoftSandra ? (duh but gotta ask to be sure)

2) It will also slow down my games a little ?

If this is true I suppose I should plan on getting new RAM using 1 GIG sticks so I can run it at "1T".

Thanks for your help :D