PDA

View Full Version : Razer Tarantula Announced

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
11-17-05, 03:30 PM
The new keyboard from Razer has been announced:

It has an OLED display at the top.

Here is some more info:
http://razerblueprints.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=1

You can disable the Windows key on it :)

keith33
11-17-05, 04:49 PM
OMG OMG OMG, I've been whining about the lack of a good gaming keyboard for the last 2 years and the G15 is too bulky for my desk, YES RAZER, HELL YES, I LOVE RAZER, first they make the 1337est mouse to ever touch these hands now they top it off with an AWESOME looking keyboard. I'm preordering this as SOON as it becomes available. W00t Razer! Someone up their loves me :)

jAkUp
11-17-05, 05:15 PM
Check it out ;)

keith33
11-17-05, 05:17 PM
How soon can I get this? That looks MINT. jAkUp, buy one too, you know it would look superhot with your Copperhead, you know you want it ;).

jAkUp
11-17-05, 05:18 PM
It says availability in December...

THE NEW RAZER TARANTULATM GAMING KEYBOARD REDEFINES STANDARDS IN COMPUTER GAMING PERIPHERALS
“We have taken over your mouse, now it’s time for your keyboard”

Singapore, World Cyber Games Grand Final 17 November 2005 – In its pursuit of perfecting the complete suite of arsenal for every gamer, world-leading high-end computer gaming peripherals brand Razer introduces the Razer TarantulaTM Gaming Keyboard today at the World Cyber Games 2005 Grand Finals in Singapore.

As the first definitive gaming keyboard created For Gamers, By Gamers TM, the Razer TarantulaTM packs an ultra-large high resolution (up to 256 x 64 dots) Organic LED (OLED) screen for built-in advanced interactive menu display, programmable function keys, customisable macro commands, up to 95 programmable keys which can be stored via an on-board memory of up to 5 profiles powered by Razer SynapseTM.

The built-in 85mm X 25mm high resolution OLED screen, which is one of the largest designed and built in the industry, will allow users to simultaneously view in-games statistics and display information from other applications such as incoming email and message alerts, multimedia key functions, full-colour image files and graphic sound equalizers, without interfering with current gameplay. The screens’ high image quality is achieved by utilizing advanced Graphic User Interface (GUI) powered by Razer’s Intuition EngineTM. Gamers will not only be able to keep a keen eye and close track of their performance, they will also be able to effectively communicate with their team mates.

”Aptly named after the world’s most feared arachnid, the Razer TarantulaTM is one of the suite of advanced gaming peripherals that we will be launching at the World Cyber Games 2005 Grand Finals. The featured ultra-large OLED screen is another Razer first, just like our ultra-high resolution and our on-the-fly sensitivity technologies,” said Robert Krakoff, President of the Razer Group. “We pioneered the gaming mouse industry – now we’re reinventing the keyboard.”

The 95 programmable keys on the Razer TarantulaTM allow configuration of customised keystrokes and macro commands, empowering gamers with seamless control and unparalleled flexibility in competitive gameplay. The personalized touch, significant in Razer’s latest line of gaming peripherals, is all part of Razer’s promise to deliver only the best for gamers. These keys can be programmed without drivers and on up to 5 different gaming profiles which can be stored on the keyboard itself which makes moving from one tournament to another with ease. The onboard memory capability is Powered by Razer Synapse™ which was first featured in the multi-award winning Razer Copperhead™ gaming mouse.

A unique feature of the Razer TarantulaTM is the cool ambient illumination light source running underneath the keys, enabling the keys to be adequately lit for gaming in low or no light conditions. The keyboard also has a dimmer switch that gives gamers the option to adjust illumination according to preference. This feature will allow gamers to quickly strategise which moves to execute in mere seconds.

The sleek design of the Razer TarantulaTM is specially engineered for competitive gamers looking to get their hands on cool-looking Razer gaming peripherals. Features such as the built-in USB 2.0 port, headphone and microphone jack for ease of connection so the gamers won’t have to worry about plug-and-play problems; and the 2 jog-dials and a gaming mode switch, which, when turned on, disables the Windows key. The Razer TarantulaTM also comes rigged up with a detachable wrist-rest and adjustable feet, ensuring maximum portability while offering a much desired equilibrium and ergonomics, all set to deliver optimal gaming performance.

The Razer TarantulaTM Gaming Keyboard will be available to consumers in December this year.

Detailed product features and specifications are available at www.razerzone.com.

muaddib
11-17-05, 05:27 PM
TT anyone? :bs:

slick
11-17-05, 05:33 PM
Now the OLED screen is a GOOD idea. A lot better than that friggen 8 pixel LCD the G15 has that looks like it belongs on an 8 year old's LazerTag gun.

Absolution
11-17-05, 10:55 PM
hmm may have gotten one if it featured a usb hub =\

nice otherwise though, first time ive seen an oled display actually being used as far as a commercial product

TierMann
11-17-05, 11:38 PM
The diagram thingy and jakup's quote say there's a USB, headphone, and mic port...
How many ports do you need it to have? heh.

Anyone have dimensions for it? It can't be more than an inch shorter than the G15.

Sazar
11-18-05, 12:30 AM
I must be the only one in this thread not overly impressed :D

It does look compact though and thats a big thing.

Jak, do a thorough review when you get it, I wanna see close-ups of the oled :D

TierMann
11-18-05, 12:35 AM
I e-mailed and asked for dimensions. Maybe I'll get a reply oneday, heh.

wheeljack12
11-18-05, 09:54 PM
Sounds like we have a Input device rivalry here. Logitech and Razer. Seems ATI and Nvidia are gonna start getting jealous over this.

nVidi0t
11-18-05, 10:30 PM
I'll be getting this for sure. Razer > all.

keith33
11-18-05, 10:42 PM
I smell a new flame war :):):)

Sazar
11-19-05, 07:20 PM
The thing I like about my keyboard is that it is functional AND allows me to play games.

That said, yes, it is a MONSTER where size is concerned but I have a lot of different apps I use and creating macro's with all the keys is a piece of cake. That and the LCD is actually very useful :D

jAkUp
11-28-05, 04:03 PM
Here is an audio presentation with more info:
http://razerblueprints.net/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=39&dir=DESC&order=date&limit=5&limitstart=5

PaiN
11-28-05, 04:19 PM
I must be the only one in this thread not overly impressed :D

no, you're not the only one

keith33
11-28-05, 04:26 PM
Does anyone know of a good gaming keyboard? (Targeted at those who weren't impressed). I'd love to get a DECK keyboard personally but it's too expensive and it doesn't come with a number pad http://www.deckkeyboards.com/catalog/product_deck_ice.php?cPath=0_21&products_id=30. Also, I think the Saitek stuff looks piss cheap and the G15 is too clunky, so I'm thinking of getting a DECK board for $150 or this Tarantula. Damn right I'm excited, I don't want to spend that much on a keyboard lol.

Superfly
11-28-05, 04:33 PM
now call me old fashioned but that looks like total crap to me.

all I see is a childs toy - wonder if it makes ray gun sounds when you touch it!!!

Now the Logitech UltraX - thats a keyboard.

GamerGuyX
11-28-05, 04:47 PM

all I see is a childs toy - wonder if it makes ray gun sounds when you touch it!!!

Well your not alone. I'm 19 and I also think things like this look like child toys. Give me a sleek, business-like, modern keyboard anyday.

jAkUp
11-28-05, 05:15 PM
Does anyone know of a good gaming keyboard? (Targeted at those who weren't impressed). I'd love to get a DECK keyboard personally but it's too expensive and it doesn't come with a number pad http://www.deckkeyboards.com/catalog/product_deck_ice.php?cPath=0_21&products_id=30. Also, I think the Saitek stuff looks piss cheap and the G15 is too clunky, so I'm thinking of getting a DECK board for $150 or this Tarantula. Damn right I'm excited, I don't want to spend that much on a keyboard lol.

The deck board has no numpad I think :(

Ninjaman09
11-28-05, 05:23 PM

4 realz, I'm rocking the UltraX right now and I refuse to trade it for anything. :D

Superfly
11-28-05, 05:25 PM
4 realz, I'm rocking the UltraX right now and I refuse to trade it for anything. :D

I hear ya!!!!

Logitechs finest piece of hardware, bar maybe my Z3's

Vagrant Zero
11-28-05, 05:44 PM
Meh I still love my MX510.

j0j081
11-29-05, 05:32 AM
Meh I still love my MX510.
(cheers)