PDA

View Full Version : WOW King Kong 360 vs PC

Pages : [1] 2

overheat
11-17-05, 03:30 PM
I know a pc could have pull this off but...
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=389943
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25755

jAkUp
11-17-05, 03:33 PM
There are 2 versions of King Kong for the PC. The original version (like the one in the screenshots)

Then there is also the "gamer version" which requires a 6800/x1800 pro. This is the version that is comparable to the XB360 version.

SH64
11-17-05, 03:39 PM
Why not just release a demo for that "Gamer edition" then ?? :mad:

overheat
11-17-05, 03:40 PM
Why not just release a demo for that "Gamer edition" then ?? :mad:

I agree ............thats SO EA

jAkUp
11-17-05, 03:43 PM
I know, its absolutely stupid IMO. Why is the "Gamer Edition" not included on the original version of the game? Its retarded. Whoever came up with that bonehead idea needs to be shot.

I guess we can see the benefits of a closed hardware system, this whole King Kong PC mess is due to people with older hardware.

SH64
11-17-05, 04:28 PM
Heres some info on the gamer edition :
http://www.gamesload.de/de/shop/adventure/00613.php

Minimal
Betriebssystem: Windows XP
Prozessor: Pentium IV 3.0 GHZ /AMD 3000+
Arbeitsspeicher: 2 GB
Grafikkarte: 256 MB 3D-Grafikkarte (Pixel Shader 3.0 und Vertex Shader 3.0)
Soundkarte: DirectX 9.0c kompatibel, EAX 3.0
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
Freier Festplattenspeicher: Mindestens 5 GB

Unterstützte Grafikkarten zum Zeitpunkt des Releases
ATI X1800/NVIDIA 6800 oder besser
Laptop-Modelle dieser Grafikkarten werden nicht unterstützt

:eek:

Just FYI "oder besser" = or better :p

jAkUp
11-17-05, 04:32 PM
When I click the download option is starts DL'ing a file that is 600MB's... what is that?

evilchris
11-17-05, 04:35 PM
I bet all those X800 owners are happy.

"By the time a game requires SM3, 6800 won't be able to run it"

Hah.

SH64
11-17-05, 04:41 PM
When I click the download option is starts DL'ing a file that is 600MB's... what is that?

Maybe its downloading on parts ??

looks like it :
Exclusively at Gamesload, King Kong fans also receive the "PC Gamer’s Edition” featuring higher graphic resolution. It has a data volume of 6 gigabytes, transmitted in several file packets. "King Kong PC Gamer’s Edition” can be downloaded at Gamesload starting 15 November. Sales of the activation key likewise start on 17 November.
http://www.t-online.net/c/60/42/60/6042608.html

EDIT2 : didnt know these links/info are already on the PC gaming forum .. oh well.

agentkay
11-17-05, 04:49 PM
Yes Jakup, its an self-extracting rar archive that is divided into 9 parts (total over 5GB). Its easier to handle such huge file if its divided into smaller pieces. BTW, the server does support download managers (Iīm using Getright). If you guys need things to get translated, just ask, I know some German. ;)

Edge
11-17-05, 05:09 PM
Wow, that's a much bigger upgrade than I thought it was. At least they took time adding to the Xbox 360 version of the game. I'm surprised they even made a PC upgrade version of it though, I guess the content must've been easy to transfer between the two platforms (although it also means that the Xbox 360 version wasn't even using any effects above the standard SM3.0 capabilities). I'd like to see some full resolution direct feed images of the Xbox 360/Gamer's Edition version of the game to see the comparision.

How do you play that Gamer's Edition copy of the game though? Do you need the regular version installed and then that one just upgrades it? Or is it the full install of the game and then it just checks for your CD (so basically you wouldn't even need to install the game from the discs)?

JamesDax
11-17-05, 05:21 PM
What I find most interesting are the high system requirements that are considered to be the minimum needed in order for the PC version to match the XBox 360. Just another example of the power of the 360. :-D

agentkay
11-17-05, 05:21 PM
Edge, the Gamers Edition is NOT an upgrade to the regular PC version. Its a totally seperate version, and doesnīt depend what-so-ever on the regular PC version.

Itīs also only available online (kinda like Steam/games-on-demand), and its protected by Starforce ProActive (the non-disc/games-on demand version). You need to purchase a Key to be able to start the game. The download of the files is not protected, you donīt even need to be a member of gamesload.de and the game should install without the Key as well.

Gamesload.de even states in their FAQ that you can burn the download (5GB) on a DVD, or make multiple copies for friends (if they donīt have a flatrate, or broadband), but obviously only a single Key is allowed for each installed copy.

jAkUp
11-17-05, 06:27 PM
Check it out!

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=260191

Screenies on the last page.

evilchris
11-17-05, 06:29 PM
What's to check out?

jAkUp
11-17-05, 06:40 PM
On the last page there is screenies of the PC Gamer version I believe...

TierMann
11-17-05, 06:51 PM
What I find most interesting are the high system requirements that are considered to be the minimum needed in order for the PC version to match the XBox 360. Just another example of the power of the 360. :-D

And when the next set of nV and ATi cards come out and a new GPU for the 360 doesn't, the rightful order will be restored ;).

From what I've seen, the creatures and landscapes look awesome, but the humans need work. Anyone know if the game handles (control-wise) any better than the demo?

slick
11-17-05, 07:55 PM
Well, next-next-gen cards will restore the balance, as Xenos is already a next-gen GPU. :p

Edge
11-17-05, 07:55 PM
Edge, the Gamers Edition is NOT an upgrade to the regular PC version. Its a totally seperate version, and doesnīt depend what-so-ever on the regular PC version.
Hmm, interesting. Kinda sucks for those who already bought the game, but at least the Gamer's Edition is an option at all (just wish it was in stores). I'm confused how that protection scheme works though...will the key only work on the computer it was entered on, or can you install and use the key on several computers? If it's the former, I'd have to wonder what would happen in the case of a reformat or upgrade.

agentkay
11-17-05, 08:12 PM
On the last page there is screenies of the PC Gamer version I believe...

Yes its the screenshots of the Gamer Edition. They were mainly talking about the whole thing, what Ubisoft was thinking and stuff and towards the end one guy actually downloaded it and ran it on an 64-3500/2GB/GTX SLI and had trouble to run all settings maxed out. Another guy with a similar rig, except with a X2-4600 and a single GTX got an average framerate of 40-50 (all maxed out, 1280x1024), but with really heavy action it went down to 10fps. However, he could only use 1 core of the X2, otherwise the game would stutter.

So there seems to be quite some issues, this version needs some patches for sure or a much better SLI value and a good CPU makes a huge difference as well

agentkay
11-17-05, 08:29 PM
Hmm, interesting. Kinda sucks for those who already bought the game, but at least the Gamer's Edition is an option at all (just wish it was in stores). I'm confused how that protection scheme works though...will the key only work on the computer it was entered on, or can you install and use the key on several computers? If it's the former, I'd have to wonder what would happen in the case of a reformat or upgrade.

When you start the game for the first time, you are asked for to pick between 2 kinds of authorizations, automatic or manual.

The automatic one needs an established online connection and after you entered the key you bought, it connects to the SF server, checks the key and generates a 2nd one (authorization key) and then you can play the game. AFAIK, you need to do this only once, both keys (the one you bought, and its authorization key) are stored in the registry. You donīt need to repeat this step if you reinstall the game on the same windows installation.

The manual authorization is meant for people who have issues with the automatic one or donīt have access to the internet on their computers. SF is generating a hardware key, this one AND the key that you bought have to be entered at the SF site http://proactive.star-force.com/ (on a friends computer for instance), a new key gets generated and this one finally can be used to play the game. However, if a major hardware component gets changed, the procedure needs to be repeated, since this key is generated by a hardware key.

Also, the keys donīt work forever, AFAIK, you can do it only 3 times, and after that you need to contact the SF service or gamesload service, and theyīll renew the key for free AFAIK. This limitation is supposedly there to avoid any illegal key sharing.

The key you buy, can also be sold, however both sides need to contact the service department as well.

Now Iīm tired. lol

Google translated "gamesload.de FAQ":

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamesload.de%2Fde%2Fs hop%2Fsupport%2F00589.php&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

Edge
11-17-05, 09:00 PM
Ahh I see. Cool, thanks for the explaination Agentkay. Doesn't sound like a bad way of doing it, although I'm surprised they would do something as risky as release a full game download and the only thing that keeps people from being able to play it is a single key (even if it is dynamically generated and hardware specific). They must have a lot of faith that it won't be cracked, but at least it sounds a lot better than how most of these online distribution services work.

agentkay
11-17-05, 09:10 PM
NP. :) Actually Iīm surprised they didnīt add a password or keycheck to the rar archive/installer, because a talented person might actually be able to extract the hi-res stuff and put it into the normal PC version.

Edge
11-18-05, 12:26 AM
Here's another comparision picture, between the Xbox and Xbox 360 versions (which would pretty much translate between the regular and gamer's editions on PC as well). For just an upgraded port, I'm surprised at how much better it looks. It's almost like a remake.

http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=King_Kong_Xbox_vs_Xbox360.jpg

JamesDax
11-18-05, 06:35 PM
Looks like Direct2Drive will be offering up the Gamers Edition. Check the news here: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/668/668148p1.html