PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Dark Zero: 9/10! "Best FPS since Halo 2!"

Pages : [1] 2

Ruined
11-18-05, 10:33 AM
From OXM UK January Issue
http://forums.xbox.com/438343/ShowPost.aspx

Like some sort of crazy A Team style plan involving hammering in a garage, close ups of pipes being cut, sheets of spiked metal riveted into a van, and some hilarious one liners from Face-man, Perfect Dark Zero has actually come together. And we LOVE it.".... "From Zero to Hero...The Finest first person shooter since Halo 2"

+Superb Replay Value
+Colossally addictive on Xbox Live
+More weapons than Charlton Heston
+Better-than-high-end PC visuals

-Embarrassingly Wacky Voiceovers

Toss3
11-18-05, 11:40 AM
Somehow I don't trust their opinion; Halo 2 wasn't the finest FPS game! And the vids I saw of this game didn't really strike me as next-gen graphics... :o

Ninjaman09
11-18-05, 11:58 AM
I didn't like Halo 2. :p

PD0 does look pretty nice though. I dunno I'm much more into RPGs than FPSs right now.

evilchris
11-18-05, 11:59 AM
I can't wait to play Halo2 @ 720p...

Ruined
11-18-05, 12:07 PM
Just took these 5 mins ago :)

copy/paste to browser:

http://www.reflectonreality.com/pdzo.jpg
http://www.reflectonreality.com/pdzi.jpg

evilchris
11-18-05, 12:22 PM
Put it into your Xbox, maybe it will play1!!

lol

GamerGuyX
11-18-05, 12:23 PM
Put it into your Xbox, maybe it will play1!!

lol

I did that with Condemned. :o

evilchris
11-18-05, 12:33 PM
Dirty Disc Error?

GamerGuyX
11-18-05, 12:38 PM
Dirty Disc Error?

Actually the wierd thing is that the Xbox reads the disc correctly and tells me to connect the DVD playback kit to a controller port to watch movies. I don't own the DVD playback kit... :(

If I did would it actually allow me to watch the trailer or something? :confused:

Edge
11-18-05, 03:18 PM
Actually the wierd thing is that the Xbox reads the disc correctly and tells me to connect the DVD playback kit to a controller port to watch movies. I don't own the DVD playback kit... :(

If I did would it actually allow me to watch the trailer or something? :confused:
Actually Xbox and Xbox 360 games are detected as video DVDs in any device that can't read the disc's security information, so to an Xbox or any other DVD device, the Xbox 360 disc would just be a video DVD. It does actually have a small video animation that plays in video DVD mode, but it's nothing special (just the Xbox logo spinning around and a "please insert this disc into the correct console", yadda yadda). I's kinda funny, some people had a problem with their Xbox's disc drives going out, and when they got to the point of where they couldn't read the security strip on the discs, it would play games as a video DVD and tell them to insert the disc into an Xbox even though it was already in one :)

Anyway, I'm pretty excited for PDZ, so I'm interested in seeing how other places review the game. I wouldn't compare it to Halo since they're pretty different types of games (just like how Halo and Half-life are different types of games), but as a fan of the original Perfect Dark I'm looking forward to the prequel. Can't say I'm surprised about their comment about the voiceovers though, what I've heard does sound pretty corny (and I can't believe how they ruined Joanna's voice). Ironic that they did a better job with the voices on a cartridge-based system.

Banko
11-18-05, 03:34 PM
Actually Xbox and Xbox 360 games are detected as video DVDs in any device that can't read the disc's security information, so to an Xbox or any other DVD device, the Xbox 360 disc would just be a video DVD. It does actually have a small video animation that plays in video DVD mode, but it's nothing special (just the Xbox logo spinning around and a "please insert this disc into the correct console", yadda yadda). I's kinda funny, some people had a problem with their Xbox's disc drives going out, and when they got to the point of where they couldn't read the security strip on the discs, it would play games as a video DVD and tell them to insert the disc into an Xbox even though it was already in one :)

Anyway, I'm pretty excited for PDZ, so I'm interested in seeing how other places review the game. I wouldn't compare it to Halo since they're pretty different types of games (just like how Halo and Half-life are different types of games), but as a fan of the original Perfect Dark I'm looking forward to the prequel. Can't say I'm surprised about their comment about the voiceovers though, what I've heard does sound pretty corny (and I can't believe how they ruined Joanna's voice). Ironic that they did a better job with the voices on a cartridge-based system.
Are you sure it is a security strip? I thought it just reads the XBox Games backwards?

Bad_Boy
11-18-05, 07:59 PM
I didn't like Halo 2. :p

+1 ;)

GamerGuyX
11-18-05, 08:40 PM
I didn't like Halo 2 either. :(

I LOVED Halo 2. ;)

Knot3D
11-19-05, 06:45 AM
In order to guarantee Xbox 360 launch-day availability of flagship title Perfect Dark Zero, Microsoft sent the game to manufacture before it had passed certification.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1662&Itemid=2

Rare ran a tightrope. Tricky.

msxyz
11-19-05, 06:57 AM
Well, it payed.

Playing the devil's advocate, I'd like to know how M$ would have acted if the release candidate (already being printed in thousands of copies) didn't pass the quality assurance test :p

I didn't like Halo 2
Add me to the count. Halo 1&2 are probalby the best FPSs on consoles. The last two words should be quite meaningful ;)

MustangSVT
11-19-05, 11:22 AM
I liked Halo 2 quite a lot as well, probably the best FPS on Xbox. However, compared to Half-Life 2 on my PC which came out after Halo 2 in 2004, Half-Life was a million times better so I don't really see the whole "Best FPS since Halo 2" thing.

msxyz
11-20-05, 05:03 AM
Xboxyde has an extensive gallery of screehsots from the press version of the game. Honestly, this game looks like crap: even a Xbox could have pulled these grapics:

http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/2285/771_0088.jpg
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/2285/771_0082.jpg
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/2285/771_0076.jpg

There are about a hundred of them at: http://www.xboxyde.com/news_2325_en.html

He, who played the game, had to say:

No, I didn't like the game. At all. (...) Anyway, concerning PDZ, what can I say ? The graphics are good in the two levels of the X05, but the rest is just crappy. I mean, look at the screenshots. I was playing when Blim took them, so I can assure you they DO justice to the game. It really looks like that. And from a gameplay point of view, it's just slow, mission objectives are dull, ennemis are like an army of cartoonish ragdolled clones, and the story... Oh, don't start me about the story. You want my point ? PDZ is a bad game. I played through one half of it, and I was forcing myself to continue. I just didn't want to hold the pad anymore. It's bad. Real bad. Don't throw your money by the windows, keep it safe and buy two PGR3.

It looks like this should have stayed an Xbox title, after all. This is what happens when you push developers for hastened conversions. I mean, look at the screenshots! The motion blur FX is the only thing that really needs a shader. Doom III on a GeForceMX looks much more "next gen" than this crap.

I don't think M$ needs more crap games that give some aura of credibility to Sony slogan "Xbox 1.5". Cancel your preorders, while there's still time. :)

GamerGuyX
11-20-05, 11:30 AM
Cancel your preorders, while there's still time. :)

What a stupid thing to say.

Your basing the 360's ability to have a good game lineup on a launch title!? :rolleyes:

Besides, if you ask me, for a launch title the graphics aren't that bad at all.

msxyz
11-20-05, 01:15 PM
err.. I was referring to PDZ not to the Xbox 360 :)

I'm not going to cancel my Xbox360 preorder because to this game or any other poor looking launch title. While gameplay>graphics one wonders why I should buy a 400$ piece of hardware when this game might have run as well on the good ol' trusty Xbox.

My money will still end up in Rare's pockets nevertheless, but for Kameo, which has both a kickass gameplay and a true "next gen" feeling.

Gaco
11-20-05, 01:30 PM
err.. I was referring to PDZ not to the Xbox 360 :)

I'm not going to cancel my Xbox360 preorder because to this game or any other poor looking launch title. While gameplay>graphics one wonders why I should buy a 400$ piece of hardware when this game might have run as well on the good ol' trusty Xbox.

My money will still end up in Rare's pockets nevertheless, but for Kameo, which has both a kickass gameplay and a true "next gen" feeling.

err.. it sure did sound like you meant the Xbox 360, no wonder he midunderstood you :)

Anyway I'd like some more official reviews before dooming PDZ out ;)
Sure hope it isn't true :(

GamerGuyX
11-20-05, 01:35 PM
Anyway I'd like some more official reviews before dooming PDZ out ;)
Sure hope it isn't true :(

Read more reviews here:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/516508.asp

EDIT: Nevermind, those are just previews. :o

Bad_Boy
11-20-05, 03:55 PM
the game doesnt look to impressive :X
gamplay looks like it could be fun though.

Slybri
11-20-05, 10:20 PM
better than High end PC visuals?

what's high end now? A pentium 3 and a radeon 9600se?

God, the lies they tell the kiddies these days. Best FPS since Halo 2? jesus...

Wonder how much Microsoft paid these chumps for the review.

You'd be a fool to buy an XBOX 360 right now, especially if you have a decent PC. Wait a few more months till the price drops and they have some decent xbox360 exclusive games that actually take advantage of the hardware. Don't be fooled by the M$ hype machine. They spent a lot of money to brainwash you. They even bought out Mr. Frodo.

Ninja Prime
11-21-05, 01:12 AM
I don't think M$ needs more crap games that give some aura of credibility to Sony slogan "Xbox 1.5". Cancel your preorders, while there's still time. :)

Go go fanboy power! Oh and since vamp isn't here on the ball:

http://www.vampireuk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/m$.gif

msxyz
11-21-05, 06:10 AM
M i c r o s o f t : that's 9 letters. M$ is much simpler and I use it when I'm bored :p

Point is: since the next gen is all about better immersion (thorugh enhaced visuals, sound, more credible AI & physics, etc...), we need games which put all that hardware to use, otherwise current consoles will do equally fine.

Kameo, PGR3, Gears of War = Truly "Next gen"
PDZ0 = We need more games at launch. Let's recycle some crap!