PDA

View Full Version : Using motherboard's built-in ethernet port as hub?

Treason
11-18-05, 01:48 PM
I'm using Windows XP PRO and using a D-Link usb receiver for my internet. I've disabled my ethernet port on my Asus A8V via bios.

Now that I've got a XBox360, how do I go about using the ethernet port as a hub so I can connect the XBox360 to the internet for XBox Live? I also have an extra PCI NIC.

I'm trying to save myself $100 on the proprietary Microsoft XBox360 wireless receiver.

Q
11-18-05, 02:01 PM
I've never done this before and am not sure if it would work. You are probably going to need a hub between the xbox and pc or a crossover cable.

Once you get that connection, under network devices in the control panel select your D-Link and Onboard NIC. Right click and Bridge connection. Hopefully this would work.

chowells
11-18-05, 02:56 PM
It will work providing the XBox 360 works behind NAT, which I'm sure it must.

Just set up Internet Connection Sharing to share the Internet to ethernet port.

You'll need a crossover cable.

Treason
11-18-05, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the instructions. Looks like I have a little Do-It-Yourself to do with the spare RJ45 pass through cables that came with my wireless router. Looking up crossover cable in google, it doesn't look too hard. :)

Treason
11-23-05, 11:39 PM
Erm, which end do I connect to the XBox360? The reversed end or the normal pass-through end?

TierMann
11-23-05, 11:53 PM
It shouldn't matter. Both jacks should be the same so either way around you're connecting the same pins together.

Treason
11-23-05, 11:57 PM
Hmm, ok I tried to enable internet connection sharing on my wireless connection on the properties tab, (Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection)

An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.

Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled.
A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing.

So Windows XP is trying to assign 192.168.0.1 to my XBox360, but can't because my wireless connection is being sent from a DHCP router? That means I have to assign a static IP address?

TierMann
11-24-05, 12:11 AM
It's trying to assign 192.168.0.1 to the computer you're trying to share from. You shouldn't need to do this though if the patch cable worked correctly and you won't be able to use ICS if you're using DHCP. What I would do instead is (if it's even possible between wireless and wired networks) is bridge your wired and wireless connections. It may put your xbox on the network and it may not. I've only done this with ethernet + firewire over 2 windows machines. My computer connected to the network through ethernet, the second box to mine through firewire, and when I bridged the two connections the second box could see the rest of the network and it was reachable from the rest of the network. Give it a shot.

Treason
11-24-05, 02:31 AM
The bridge idea didn't work. It just chopped off all internet access to the computer.

This is what is shown in the XBox360:

http://members.shaw.ca/sk5969/Error.jpg

Testing the connection results in "IP detection failed."

This is what I have in my networking:

http://members.shaw.ca/sk5969/Internet.jpg

TierMann
11-24-05, 02:56 AM
Did you configure the bridge with a gateway (same as your wireless connection's config)? Beyond that I have no idea as I said. I havn't tried it with a wireless connection yet. It may have just removed the gateway though when you bridged them.

Treason
11-24-05, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the help TierMann. I still get the same results of IP address failure on the XBox360. I will try a different approach after work. I got a spare PCI NIC lying around.

In the mean time, I'll try good ol' google!

Treason
11-28-05, 02:06 PM
Just to let everyone know I have solved the problem and am connected to XBox Live for the simple cost of a crossover cable! :D

That IP error message was a result of DHCP IP address sharing violation. My wireless router was set to 192.168.0.109. Windows XP was trying to enable DHCP on my internet connection and set it to 192.168.0.1.

So I changed my router address to 192.168.1.20, rebooted the router, ipconfig /renew_all on command prompt in windows xp, and enabled internet connection sharing on my wireless connection.

Now my motherboard LAN connected is shared with my wireless connection. I set IP address and DNS server to automatic setting on both the motherboard and XBox360.

All I have to do now is figure out how Windows Media Connect works and I've essentially integrated the XBox360 with my computer!