PDA

View Full Version : Serious Sam 2 Employee talks about what went wrong...

jAkUp
11-18-05, 06:48 PM
http://forums.seriouszone.com/showthread.php?t=45820

grey_1
11-18-05, 09:16 PM
So much work into development, to bad to see a potential winner go down in flames.

rudedog
11-19-05, 07:37 AM
This is what gets me. You have a product manager that doesn't want to interact with the community because know one will listen to the comments and suggestions he will would brings back to his "decision makers". TBH I agree with him because he will be the flame bate not his so called decision makers.

These "decision makers" need to be fired, because they are the ones that don't want to take the time to let the community (customers) help them sell their games. They think they know more then the people who play games or help their gaming community in their spare time.

Believe me I work closely with a couple community managers and it's all the same. They ask our opinions, they listen in the forums (be real, they can't always reply) and all this useful info goes unused because of these so called decision makers know whats best.

EA flew me and about 9 other community leaders (their words not ours) to EALA to help with MOHPA. We offered a ton of feedback from our respected communities along with any bugs we noticed in the game. But did anyone beyond the core group of people who got us there in the first place listen, NO.

It also seems that devs/publishers always ask for comments too late in the game. Then their excuse is, oh sorry great idea too late to implement, sorry.

When will these higher ups learn and listen to their customers, the community.

Don't even get me started on the "in house QA" teams, that's a whole other thread.

ralinn
11-19-05, 09:07 AM
heh, I think I'll hold my tongue on this one :)

stncttr908
11-19-05, 11:33 AM
To be honest I played a decent bit of the game in co-op mode, and it wasn't all that bad.

BioHazZarD
11-19-05, 01:43 PM
SO what went wrong with this game ?

saturnotaku
11-19-05, 01:53 PM
I want to hear someone from Croteam speak up on this, not the PR monkey from the publisher.

aAv7
11-19-05, 02:04 PM
The thing i'll never understand is, if the gamer's clearly see a game sucks, why is it the developer's dont see it?

They work with it for months on end, takes a gamer 5 hours to figure out it's ****ty, developers apparently are clueless at croteam and else where?

jAkUp
11-19-05, 02:12 PM
The thing i'll never understand is, if the gamer's clearly see a game sucks, why is it the developer's dont see it?

They work with it for months on end, takes a gamer 5 hours to figure out it's ****ty, developers apparently are clueless at croteam and else where?

I think a huge part of it had to do with the fact the game was designed with consoles in mind also... :(

TheGoose
11-19-05, 02:50 PM
I have SS2, but haven't played it, but played the demo and was rather dissappointed{what else is new}...IMO, all FPS MUST have these attributes...
1....weapons that suit the games theme.
2...weapons that pack a punch, IOW, no soft**** weapon sounds.
3...polished cut scenes{I think these are important in a FPS as the action can get repetitive no matter how well it's made and the cut scene can revitalize interest}
4...LIMITED puzzle solving....WTF are people always wanting to infect FPS with role playing{consider how good Far Cry was, despite being a "typical shooter", yet it lacked puzzle solving}.
5...a range of villians, and IMO the opportunity to actually "use" the DOUBLE BARREL SHOTGUN IDIOTS, IOW, giving a shotgun but never creating a lot of close quarters combat defeats the purpose.

Also, I'm prepared to sacrifice graphics for gameplay, but TBH, with Q4 and FEAR, graphics are at an extremely high level.

rudedog
11-19-05, 06:34 PM

Because there doing it as a job and not to have fun. They don't see it in a way you or I would.

It's almost like the mechanic that drives a broken down car. He comes home after a long day at work, do you really think he wants to fix his own car ;) .

When we where at EA, how many sites do you think the actually devs knew about? I mean not one of the devs knew much about anything in the way of their community or even mods in general. The testers are the same way, they clock in and do their 8 hours and want to get out of there as fast as they can. There is no passion in most of the corporate gaming world. It's simply their 9-5.. I mean 10PM job (Little EA hit there :) )

Also just to clarify, I have not even played SS2. I'm just relating to how the development/publishers do things now a days, in general from my experience with EA.

Nutty
11-19-05, 07:47 PM
I personally enjoyed the SS2 demo. The theme of SS is cartoony, its not trying to be realistic..

Also you cant put all the blame on testers (QA Teams), because quite often bugs/gameplay features reported by them are turned down by producers due to timescales.

acrh2
11-19-05, 07:53 PM
I didn't play the demo, and I never expected much from the game from screenshots and general talk from developers. But I did get to play about 2 hours, and I thought it was a great game. Taking Serious Sam 1 gameplay to a new level by adding other common FPS elements that one would normally only expect from a more serious (no pun intended) FPS. The humor was topnotch, also.
If it didn't sell, too bad. It should have.

stncttr908
11-19-05, 09:44 PM
Perhaps people were expecting the $19.99 price tag of the first one and Second Encounter.