PDA

View Full Version : HDD Performance Question

macatak
11-19-05, 12:45 AM
I've got two HDD's in my setup, main one is a WD 80gig, Slave is a IBM(Deckstar) 14gig and i ran a speed test on both drives and the result were...

WD 80gig:
Burst speed = 71.4
Sustained speed = 59.1

IBM 14gig:
Burst speed = 91.1
Sustained speed = 36.7

I don't know much at all about this sort of stuff but would it make any difference which HDD i installed my games on as far as loading/performance is concerned ??

thx

Dazz
11-19-05, 02:14 AM
Sustained speed is better, i am really suprised that the Burst speed is so high on the 4GB drive you but have that connected as the first drive on the IDE cable which would lower peformance for the 2nd drive.

macatak
11-19-05, 03:05 AM
thx for the reply

Sustained speed is better
I suspected that would probably be the case

, i am really suprised that the Burst speed is so high on the 14GB drive you but have that connected as the first drive on the IDE cable which would lower peformance for the 2nd drive.

The IBM 14gig drive is configured as a slave to the WD 80gig, the IDE cable specifies Master and Slave connections, the connection at the end of the cable being Slave

Rytr
11-19-05, 05:24 AM
Might try the end connection on the cable by connecting it to the WD. The 'end' connection is normally the 'Master'.
Also try connecting the drive with no other drives connected to the cable.
You could also try a different cable as sometimes a cable might cause performance loss although usually if a cable is the problem it will cause more severe problems.