PDA

View Full Version : Huge performance gain in FEAR.....but runs worse??

holdenb
11-19-05, 05:03 AM
thought i'd pass on my experiences here.......Upgraded from FW 81.85 to 81.89

my FEAR stress test settings... 1600x1200 2AA/8AF. Everything max except soft shadows off......driver default

81.85......38/61/141 (min/avg/max)

81.89......54/73/244

Would be great if i didn't have stuttering back on my menu screens (was fixed in 81.85) and my game is now jumping a bit more than before????

I know u will all say 2GB of RAM, but it was smooth with the 81.85 and i am trying to avoid 2GB as it will ruin my overclock

:afro: :afro2: :afro:

Peoples-Agent
11-19-05, 05:09 AM
Two sticks of 1GB wouldn't touch your overclock dude!

EverGreen
11-19-05, 06:51 AM
2 gbytes just had swapping less between your hd and your mem of your vid-card, thats one of the famous reasons.

holdenb
11-19-05, 07:06 AM
Two sticks of 1GB wouldn't touch your overclock dude!

I love my high frequency low latency RAM though :(

I have 2 1GB stcks of ballistix tracer pc4000 and i can't bring myself to install it..........

:thumbdwn:

newls1
11-19-05, 07:29 AM

I have 2 1GB stcks of ballistix tracer pc4000 and i can't bring myself to install it..........

DAMN, we almost have the same system. My FX57 is OCed now using my 2x1GB ballistix ram, Im running them 1:1 260FSB @ 3/3/3/7 2.81v for a total OC of 3.12GHz. PUT IN YOUR 2GB ballistix, you will be MUCH happier. I can use this ram to 278FSB before memtest throws errors. If you ask me, that is pretty good, concidering there only rated for DDR500 @ 3/4/4/10 timings:eek: . One last thing, USE BIOS 704-2BTA for your SLI-DR board, this ram loves it

Absolution
11-20-05, 12:29 AM

ill take it
otherwise - wanna trade ?? ^_^

sniggle
11-20-05, 10:39 AM
yeah man, definitely use the 2 gigs. you will NOT lose that much by having to relax the ram timings a bit to run the same FSB stable.

OWA
11-20-05, 11:43 AM
2 Gig helps smooth out gameplay a lot but some of the behavior in the menu I think is due to the new SLI profile. If you checked out SH64's thread on a new SLI value that helped FEAR a lot, one of the side effects was that moving around in the menu was kind of jumpy. I believe they're using a similar value now.

newls1
11-20-05, 01:37 PM
2 Gig helps smooth out gameplay a lot but some of the behavior in the menu I think is due to the new SLI profile. If you checked out SH64 thread on a new SLI value that helped FEAR a lot, one of the side effects was that moving around in the menu was kind of jumpy. I believe they're using a similar value now.
YA, this pisses me off. The game itself runs good, but "ONLY" in SLi mode, does the menu screen get really jumpy. Why is this? Anyway to correct this?

OWA
11-21-05, 11:33 AM
To clarify, it's the mouse movement in the menu that is the issue. It doesn't move smoothly when navigating the menu. To me, it's not that big a deal since the game is actually fine. I care more about the increased performance in the actual game than how the menu navigates. I sometimes think Nvidia gives up on a certain SLI profile just because of the menu. For example, in the drivers, they have MS Flight Sim 2004 set to single GPU mode. When experimenting with SLI modes, I found the actual game worked fine with SLI and got a pretty good boost in performance. The menu was sometimes messed up though. A little annoying but still good enough to use (basically, just the background the menu shows up against would flash or have corruption, the menu itself was fine). So, it looked like they bagged the use of SLI for FS2004, just because of that. I guess something like that could concern some users though so that's probably why they don't enable it in such cases.