PDA

View Full Version : XB360 Controller for Windows

Pages : [1] 2 3

jAkUp
11-20-05, 03:37 PM
Apparantly Best Buy is selling the controller for Windows... I think I will go over there and pick it up :) Anyone have one yet?

I suppose if I do end up getting an XB360, it can double as a second controller for the system ;)

top3koms
11-20-05, 03:46 PM
I got one about a week ago jAkUp ,it's been working well for me playing the NFSMW demo.

Mr. Hunt
11-20-05, 04:06 PM
Just looked at the bestbuy site and good gosh... 45 bucks for this? They gotta be kidding :\.

aAv7
11-20-05, 04:10 PM
$45...sheesh. Guess I'll still grab one, may come in good use for all those xbox 360 ports m$ was talkin about ::wink wink:::

jAkUp
11-20-05, 04:11 PM
Well, thats about how much a good controller costs. I bought the Logitech Rumplepad 2 about a year ago from BB at $39, and its nice :) I like it alot, I really wanna try this XB360 controller though... the one I like least I guess will go to the girly :D I can't stand to watch her brother play GTA3 with the keyboard a second longer... hehe

Mesce
11-20-05, 04:13 PM
Id rather have a PS3 controller for my pc because of the layout I am ever so used to from psx/ps2.

Its one of the reasons I never reserved an xbox360, how do you guys manage to mould your hands to different places for buttons and such?

six_storm
11-20-05, 04:34 PM
I thought the controllers were $39.99? Well I guess it would be $45 after tax but oh well. I almost bought one last night cuz I'll be getting a 360 next year some time.

I've seen on the Microsoft site where you can d/l drivers for the controller and haven't heard any complaints about it thus far.

GamerGuyX
11-20-05, 04:37 PM
Id rather have a PS3 controller for my pc because of the layout I am ever so used to from psx/ps2.
The PS3 controller is much different than the PS1/PS2 controller.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/ne/p/2005/517PS3controller500x408.jpg

Its one of the reasons I never reserved an xbox360, how do you guys manage to mould your hands to different places for buttons and such?

Umm... lets see. I have a brain that remembers the layout of a controller after I get used to it. :p

Mr. Hunt
11-20-05, 05:18 PM

Umm... lets see. I have a brain that remembers the layout of a controller after I get used to it. :p

I just use the PS2 controllers for the PC :\. Got an adapter from Radioshack for 10 bucks and never had a problem.

And it helps that the layout for the 360 controller is quite similar to the PS2 (with the exception of the left analog being placed differently, the 2 crappy trigger buttons, and the HORRIBLE placement of the pause and back buttons).

Sazar
11-20-05, 05:28 PM
Apparantly Best Buy is selling the controller for Windows... I think I will go over there and pick it up :) Anyone have one yet?

I suppose if I do end up getting an XB360, it can double as a second controller for the system ;)

The wired or the wireless one?

jAkUp
11-20-05, 06:06 PM
Wow that was a waste of time.

Everytime I go to BB because of an item which says they have in stock, is on their site, its either not there, or the employees have no clue about anything.

I went over, looked around for about 30 minutes, finally only to be told they are holding them until Teus... meh.

Oh and Sazar, the wireless version does not work... yet :)

EDIT:
EBGames has it also. They are much closer, I should of went there first... going there now :)

Sazar
11-20-05, 06:21 PM
Well, I guess i could always just plug it into my keyboard. Would be nice if the wireless controller would work though :D

Will look for your review when you post it.

saturnotaku
11-20-05, 08:34 PM
Just about every other B&M retailer except Worst Buy has the controller in stock..and for its $39 MSRP. I got one at Target a little while ago. You have to download some drivers from Microsoft, but once you get those set up, it's plug and play.

While I love the overall feel of it, the directional pad doesn't work in most of the games I play (TM: Sunrise and Carmageddon 2 among others). So I'm going to return it and keep my venerable Sidewinder game pad USB.

Acid Rain
11-20-05, 08:54 PM
$45...sheesh. Guess I'll still grab one, may come in good use for all those xbox 360 ports m$ was talkin about ::wink wink:::Well, at the very least, they do make a very tough, high quality joypad. I'm getting one.

TierMann
11-20-05, 09:12 PM
Wow that was a waste of time.

Everytime I go to BB because of an item which says they have in stock, is on their site, its either not there, or the employees have no clue about anything.

I went over, looked around for about 30 minutes, finally only to be told they are holding them until Teus... meh.

Oh and Sazar, the wireless version does not work... yet :)

EDIT:
EBGames has it also. They are much closer, I should of went there first... going there now :)

That sucks. I wouldn't bet on tuesday either though. That seems to be the default bestbuy response, but if you happen to ask on a tuesday then it'll be in thursday ofcourse ;). Even if I call and they say my item is in stock it magicly won't be there when I get there in 20 mins.

The 360 controllers won't work with a USB adaptor when it comes out?

saturnotaku
11-20-05, 09:18 PM
The 360 controllers won't work with a USB adaptor when it comes out?

Wha? They're already USB, just install the driver, plug it in and go.

TierMann
11-20-05, 09:19 PM
Wha? They're already USB, just install the driver, plug it in and go.

Even better. So what's the point of this windows version is what I mean.

jAkUp
11-20-05, 09:48 PM
The "Windows" versions comes with a driver CD. Thats it. It is identical to the original XB360 version. I couldn't find the windows version, I just got the regular XB360 controller :) You can find the drivers on MS's site.

Anyways, I got it from EB :D I've used it for a few minutes, I like it :D It feels very well built. Its a little smaller than I'm used to, but it has a nice feel. I still need to get more used to it though. I have been using a Rumble Pad 2 (which is basically the PS2 controller)

Only other problem is the rumble function doesn't seem to work at all, it may be fixed with newer games or drivers.

saturnotaku
11-21-05, 07:03 AM
Only other problem is the rumble function doesn't seem to work at all, it may be fixed with newer games or drivers.

Rumble is supported in very few PC games anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if this functionality is never implemented via drivers. By the way, I never knew there was a separate "Windows version." I figured that you would just buy the Xbox version, download the drivers and go.

Superfly
11-21-05, 07:09 AM
is'nt their supposed to be a button in the middle of the controller that enables certain fuctions within Windows Vista?? I remember reading an article on the 360 controller and when the MS rep was asked what this button does he said it would become clear when Vista shipped??

just ignore me if I'm talking rubbish though chaps.

RAY16
11-21-05, 08:01 AM
The X360 drivers support rumble, as far as I know. From what I've read, the problem is related to the fact that the X360 controller uses a new input API called XInput (part of XNA) and games will have to be made with support for it (or patched to support it) in order for the controller to fucntion fully (rumble, and whatever else depends on it).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/dx9_xinput_getting_started.asp

Mesce
11-21-05, 11:31 AM

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/ne/p/2005/517PS3controller500x408.jpg

The ps3 controller is almost exactly the same layout as ps2 and ps2. The design is different but the buttons are in the same places.

GamerGuyX
11-21-05, 11:58 AM
The design is different but the buttons are in the same places.

Yeah the design is different as in: looks like the most uncomfortable thing to ever grace a console.

jAkUp
11-21-05, 12:17 PM
Yea I really don't like the PS3 gamepad, it looks very uncomfortable. We'll see when it actually comes out though :)

Edge
11-21-05, 12:29 PM
The ps3 controller is almost exactly the same layout as ps2 and ps2. The design is different but the buttons are in the same places.
Well, the Xbox 360 layout is almost exactly the same as the PS2 layout. Aside from the analog and digital pads being switched, the form is almost identical.