PDA

View Full Version : Asus A8N-E Motherboard, need RAID help!

Princess_Frosty
11-20-05, 06:53 PM
I got new hardware for a new rig im building, it includes:

Asus A8N-E SKT 939 NFORCE 4 AUDIO LAN PCI-Express ATX
2 x W&D 36.7Gb Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA 150 8mb cache

I want to use the 2 fast SATA drives as my primary drive, and that should be in RAID 0

Now I know windows XP has a section to install RAID drivers before you install XP (after booting from the CD) but I have a few Questions.

1) Can I use drivers from a CD at this point? The drivers for the RAID should come on the Mobo CD I'm guessing

2) The product says NV RAID which I assume is part of the Nforce 4 Chipset (Nvidia built), is this going to cause any problems installing RAID onto the system?

3) Is there any other issues with installing RAID I should be aware of? My parts should arrive in a few days time, I really want to get it all running smoothly first time, so if i need to download anything (like mobo BIOS's etc) before it all arrives, it would be handy to know in advance.

Anyhow thanks in advance for any help on the matter, cheers.

Top_cat2
11-21-05, 12:42 AM
Hi ,
First of all you need to make a Raid driver disk on a floppy.Set up the Raid in the bios, then once you start windows setup hit F6 to install your Raid drivers from yah floppy..Dead easy...
Dazza
A8N 32 SLI
3700 San Diego @ 2500
4 x WD raptors Raid 0
2 Gig 3200 XL Corsair 2 2 2 9
Silverstone Zeus 650Wt
Kandalf Ali.

Princess_Frosty
11-21-05, 02:06 AM
How do I make a RAID floppy disk with the drivers on though?

Do i have to download the drivers or can I copy them off the CD that comes with the Motherboard, or is there some kind of "create floppy disk" utility that comes with it?

*edit*

I've downloaded the all in one system drivers for Nforce 4 chipsets from the Nvidia website, I went to install it (on my current Nforce 2 machine) and it extracted all the drivers into the usual install folder. I then cancled the install routine and made a copy of the RAID driver folders, they're 1.05 Mb for both the WinXP SATA RAID folders so that should fit on a floppy.

I'm kinda hopeing that i'll be able to write them to a CD or use the origional Mobo CD for this though, because I don't have a floppy drive in this machine and I don't really want to have to borrow one from my brother just to install RAID :(

madmartyau
11-21-05, 03:51 AM
How do I make a RAID floppy disk with the drivers on though?

Do i have to download the drivers or can I copy them off the CD that comes with the Motherboard, or is there some kind of "create floppy disk" utility that comes with it?

*edit*

I've downloaded the all in one system drivers for Nforce 4 chipsets from the Nvidia website, I went to install it (on my current Nforce 2 machine) and it extracted all the drivers into the usual install folder. I then cancled the install routine and made a copy of the RAID driver folders, they're 1.05 Mb for both the WinXP SATA RAID folders so that should fit on a floppy.

I'm kinda hopeing that i'll be able to write them to a CD or use the origional Mobo CD for this though, because I don't have a floppy drive in this machine and I don't really want to have to borrow one from my brother just to install RAID :(

Unfortunately you will need a floppy. If you boot the computer with the ASUS driver cd, it brings up a little proggy to write the drivers to a floppy.

The only way to get around using a floppy is to create a Win XP cd with the drivers included. Nlite is a good program for this, amongst others.

Dazz
11-21-05, 04:40 AM
Yeah it was the only reason that and BIOS updates i have an LS120 super disk drive.

Scott@Bjorn3D
11-21-05, 05:26 AM
Usually if you pop the CD into another machine you can find a section on it called Make Disk, From there you can tell it to make you a RAID driver disk.

Princess_Frosty
11-21-05, 07:03 AM
Thanks everyone for your help.

I'm at work right now and grabbed the latest Nforce 4 AMD system drivers from the Nvidia website, I double clicked the exe to install, it extracted all the drivers to C:\Nvidia\ as normal and then I cancled the install.

I then copied the IDE/RAID driver folders over to a floppy which I can take back home with me.

If this doesn't work i will try booting from the Mobo Driver CD and seeing if I can make a RAID driver disk.

Its a bit frustrating that it has to be a floppy, does this not work with a CD? Afterall booting from the windows CD doesn't run from the CD, so it shouldn't be in use by the time you install drivers.

I'm sure everything will be ok really, im just worried that all my new kit will arrive and it wont work without hours of dicking around.

It should be well worth it though, the boot time and general windows operating speed on a 2x 10,000 RPM drives in RAID 0 should be really fast (i hope)

Princess_Frosty
11-21-05, 07:06 AM
*edit*

double post

madmartyau
11-21-05, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to try my extracted drivers since they're probably newer than the ones on the CD, if that doesn't work i'll do it the other way.

Does this not work with a CD directly though, or does windows XP install expect the drivers on a floppy?

I see no reason why you can't remove the XP CD at that stage and bung in the mobo CD, unless its simply not supported. Has anyone ever tried?

Cheers again.

Yes I have tried. It will only search for a floppy. It's a bit archaic. Hopefully windows vista will step into the 20th century and allow loading the drivers from CD or USB.

Of course Vista should have the drivers already.:D

Princess_Frosty
11-21-05, 08:01 AM
Yeah hopefuly vista will totaly write off floppy drives, i mean c'mon 1.44 Mb is just pathetic, we're going to have 50Gb DVD's soon.

I don't have a floppy installed, because why would I, I can Re-Write CD's AND DVD's and have made multiple boot CD's in the past (with dos on them)

Having a floppy installed slows down booting in some circumstances slows down loading "my computer", i have the whole FDD cable removed and all FDD support disabled in BIOS.

Stupid floppys :)

Idoru
11-21-05, 08:27 AM
I got new hardware for a new rig im building, it includes:

Asus A8N-E SKT 939 NFORCE 4 AUDIO LAN PCI-Express ATX
2 x W&D 36.7Gb Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA 150 8mb cache

I want to use the 2 fast SATA drives as my primary drive, and that should be in RAID 0

Now I know windows XP has a section to install RAID drivers before you install XP (after booting from the CD) but I have a few Questions....

1) Can I use drivers from a CD at this point? The drivers for the RAID should come on the Mobo CD I'm guessing

Just got one of these mobos myself... there is a program on the Asus Driver Disk that allows you to make a floppy with RAID drivers. Its called MakeDisk I think. Look in the XP/2000 directory.

Before installing XP (where, early on, you will be asked to press F6 if you want to load RAID/SCSI drivers), you need to set up the mobo for RAID in the BIOS via the nVidia RAID utility... details on p 3-21 of the mobo manual.

Others on this board suggested there *may* be issues arising from installing either or both the nVidia IDE driver (you'll have this option when you install the chipset drivers once you have installed XP) and the nVidia Firewall.

I still haven't got round to installing my A8N-E yet, but I too have downloaded the latest nForce driver set (6.70?) and will be using that.

Princess_Frosty
11-21-05, 02:24 PM
Yeah I read somewhere the Nvidia IDE drivers cause problems or something similar, I wont be using IDE for anything other than my large archive drive, so i might just leave XP to install default IDE drivers until the Nvidia ones are confirmed ok again.