PDA

View Full Version : Sony VAIO Problem...

jAkUp
11-20-05, 07:24 PM
I have a Sony VAIO here for a friend, whe wanted me to wipe and reinstall XP Pro (he had XP Home)

The system had 2 paritions, when I setup XP Pro, I wiped both of the partitions, so it equalled 1 volume. I did a full format on the entire volume.

However, when Windows goes to boot up, it still gives me the option to load Windows XP Home! Is there some sort of hidden partition or something? How can I get it to bypass this menu, and just load XP Pro

Starscream
11-20-05, 07:37 PM
Press the windows key and break this gets you into system properties.

Now click on advanced, then click the startup and recovery settings button.

Now select XP Pro in the drop down for default os. Then uncheck the check box for time to display os and it will boot directly into xp pro from now on.

ALSO you can just edit the xp home entry out of the boot.ini file.

jAkUp
11-20-05, 07:44 PM
Excellent :D That did it, thanks.

Clay
11-20-05, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I had a VAIO laptop...had a hidden partition like this.

Sazar
11-20-05, 07:59 PM
Most of the big companies tend to have hidden partitions to allow for easy recovery in case of system crash to aid in restoring things.

Probably a left over from that. The boot options config tip posted above is the easiest way to fix multi-boot configs.

TierMann
11-20-05, 08:11 PM
Yeah. I hate that. HP does it too. If your hd goes then you're not only out one hd but you also have to order restore cd's from them for a price. I had pro though so I just wiped the whole thing and installed that. IMO it doesn't make life any easier for anyone but a bestbuy tech who probably sees 100 hp's a day and can just hit F10 to restore someone's spyware infested pc. For everyone else it just means no physical media.

fasedww
11-21-05, 05:58 PM
Press the windows key and break this gets you into system properties.

Now click on advanced, then click the startup and recovery settings button.

Now select XP Pro in the drop down for default os. Then uncheck the check box for time to display os and it will boot directly into xp pro from now on.

ALSO you can just edit the xp home entry out of the boot.ini file.Press the windows key and break? what do this when your booting up?

jAkUp
11-21-05, 06:28 PM
When your in the O.S. hit the windows key and the pause key to open system properties :)

saturnotaku
11-21-05, 06:32 PM
When your in the O.S. hit the windows key and the pause key to open system properties :)

That's a nice shortcut. I'll have to remember it. :)

fasedww
11-21-05, 07:53 PM
Yeah I see it says break under pause cool':)