PDA

View Full Version : 8x AA in HL2

chowells
11-21-05, 12:41 PM
Hi,

I want to use 8x AA in HL2, but it's not an option. The highest is 6x though selecting this seems to disable AA completely. 4x works though.

Card is a 7800GT (see specs) with the latest drivers from Nvidia.com.

Any ideas?

OWA
11-21-05, 12:45 PM
Force it in the profile for Half-Life 2 (in the nvidia control panel).

Edit: Hmm, they use to provide help for the profiles on the website but it looks like it just gives an overview now. You can find out how to use the profiles by looking at their guide though.

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/81.94/81.94_ForceWare_Display_Property_User_Guide.pdf

Just go to this section in the guide:

CONFIGURING KEY FORCEWARE GRAPHICS DRIVER FEATURES
-- Adjusting Performance and Quality Settings

chowells
11-21-05, 01:09 PM
Ah. Didn't think of doing that. Doh. I was just somewhat surprised not to see it there. Will try now, thanks.

superklye
11-21-05, 03:43 PM
Yeah, 6x only works for ATI cards. Get a second GT and use SLI 16xAA...it looks AMAZING.

jolle
11-21-05, 03:53 PM
Transparancy AA should help alot in HL2, lots of alphablended textures if I recall right..

chowells
11-21-05, 03:55 PM
The drivers only allow me to force 8xS. Bizarre.

But strangely enough I have a second 7800 arriving soon, hopefully tomorrow, so I look forward to trying that :)

chowells
11-22-05, 11:09 AM
Hrm, what on earth. Installed the second GT, SLI appears to be working, but I still only get the option of 8xS ?

Any ideas?

http://ktown.kde.org/~howells/aa.png

(Thanks for the tip regarding transparency AA, I'll try enabling that)

OWA
11-22-05, 04:47 PM
8xS is the only 8x mode Nvidia provides unless you use the SLI AA modes. To use those, go to where you select the various SLI modes and select SLI AA. Then return to the AA selector and it'll show SLI8x and SLI16x

Edit: I think you have to have some form of coolbits installed to see the SLI modes so you need to do that first if you haven't already. Also, to use the SLI modes with Half-Life 2, you'd need to remove the predefined tag so that you can override the value. The SLI AA modes are mostly meant for games that don't benefit from the performance modes or have problems with the performance modes. If you do decide to override the SLI value for Half-Life 2, be sure to save the value so you can restore it later if need be.

chowells
11-30-05, 09:14 PM
Thanks hugely for that. I don't think I'd ever have guessed how to do it on my own :)

OWA
11-30-05, 09:17 PM
No problem. Does that mean you have it working now?

Apollo 13
12-16-05, 06:14 PM
what is 2xQ and 8xS I don't want to miss out on something special like I did on AA and AF. I got a 9800pro when it first came out and never turned on AA or AF until it was to late, because I didn't know what it was.

Edge
12-19-05, 09:53 PM
2xQ is Quincunx AA, a special mode introduced in the GF3 series. You don't really have to worry about it nowadays, back then it offered "near 4x quality at near 2x performance", but it blurs the screen a little bit and it's implimentation is actually worse than what modern cards support.

All of the AA modes with an "S" at the end means that half of the rendering is done in super-sampling. This was mainly useful because super-sampled AA affects alpha textures while normal AA didn't, but on the 7000 series the transparency AA makes that rather unneccissary. Using a utility like Rivatuner, you can actually force AA all the way up to 16x (even without a second card in SLI), so if you're looking for as many options as you can get, that's the best way to go.