PDA

View Full Version : Best MP3 Player??

Gn00b
11-21-05, 01:34 PM
This may or may not be the best place for this post...if not my apologies in advance.

I need some Christmas shopping advice.

I'm looking at an MP3 player as a gift for someone. The iPod 1GB shuffle looks pretty good, but I'm a little concerned about the battery replacement issue (apparently you have to send it back to the manufacturer to have the rechargeable battery replaced).

Anyways, does anyone have any experience with this unit? iPod quality in general?

What do you think is the best "bang for the buck" portable MP3 player?

nukem
11-21-05, 02:43 PM
Personally I love my iRiver H340. It was the first hard drive mp3 player with a color screen to view pictures play movies(although choppy), listen to radio, ogg, mp3, wav, and wmv, record via built in speaker or external, record radio, and it mounts as a hard drive so you can just copy the files over you dont need any ****ty software like iTunes or windows media player, also good if your a linux user like me :D. I would look into the new iRiver H10.

Gn00b
11-21-05, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback, nukem. I looked at the H10. Its loaded. Unfortunately, I am not. I can only spend up to about a hundred bucks, and I'm really only interested in music (FM would be nice too). But iRiver appears to have some good products in my range (e.g., T10).

jass
11-24-05, 04:58 AM
iRiver340 is really nice one. And one of few players that you can connect external mic to (say, to interview ppl) But in $100 range I would look at Muvos (http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/) from Creative. Defenitely best value. Creative is known for very good sound quality. Bear in mind they also throw FM tuner, some basic voice recording and full EQ in their players, all in around $100 for 1GB.

Gn00b
11-24-05, 08:15 AM
Thanks Jass, that looks really interesting. According to Newegg (Muvo TX FM), "USB flash drive and digital audio player - no cables or software needed". I wonder if that means that the unit is somehow modular and can jack straight into a USB port? The ability to use it as a jump drive (data files) adds bang for the buck for sure. Shortlisted.

nelamvr6
11-24-05, 09:00 AM
I have used many mp3 players over the years. I find that the iPod is head and shoulders above all the others. However, I haven't tried the one you mentioned, I use a hard drive based model.

Slyder
11-24-05, 11:08 AM
Creative Zen Micro all the way for me... :)

Smokey
11-24-05, 12:19 PM
Creative Zen Micro all the way for me... :)

Just bought one of these for my girlfriend and recieved it today along with the extenal speakers. Will be playing around with it tonight, will post some thoughts and pics later on :)

einstein_314
11-24-05, 01:14 PM
I've had my iPod for 2 years now and I love it. The new ones are even better. I wouldn't worry about the battery having to be replaced. Mine doens't need it yet and it's 2 years old. By the time you need a new battery, it will be time to upgrade to a new one anyways.

LT.Schaffer
11-24-05, 01:39 PM
I got this one on my birthday and it is awesome!
it's the 512mb version but you can upgrade to one gig if you want, and its very low priced but sounds the best to me:) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UB2Q4/103-0164827-6701469?v=glance&n=172282&n=507846&s=electronics&v=glance
And the Rio Forge Software is good:D

SDinc
11-24-05, 02:13 PM
Thanks Jass, that looks really interesting. According to Newegg (Muvo TX FM), "USB flash drive and digital audio player - no cables or software needed". I wonder if that means that the unit is somehow modular and can jack straight into a USB port? The ability to use it as a jump drive (data files) adds bang for the buck for sure. Shortlisted.

I have the Muvo and love it. The unit is actually 2 pieces. One contains the player and other one is the battery. You just pull up and then out and the player separates from the battery and you can plug it right into a USB connector on your PC. (The black part separates from the white part. See picture below). No extra cable necessary! (My favorite feature). Plus the unit is super small and comes with belt clip and arm band.

http://images.creative.com/iss/images/products/headers/prod9771_hdr_1_6_1.jpg

The Muvo uses a single AAA battery which lasts about 30 hours. It's super easy to replace. (Keep an extra handy). Be aware the the Muvo doesn't support iTunes proprietary audio format files. (If you care). It will play WMA and MP3 only.

m3touk_85
12-01-05, 06:30 PM
i used my mobile sonyericsson p910i excellent with SE headset

CaptNKILL
12-01-05, 08:12 PM
I have a 512Mb MUVO and it works REALLY well. No cables, decent battery life, good sound quality, and it just WORKS.

I recommend one.

NightFire
12-01-05, 08:16 PM
I like the Cowon iAudio X5, but it's rather expensive. The Zen Sleek is a decently priced 20GB player, and it's got an FM tuner + voice recorder (I think), so that's a plus for me. As for micro players, I would definently go with the new Zen Micro Photo.