PDA

View Full Version : Are my gaming expectations too high?

Sazar
11-22-05, 02:07 AM
I remember when I first played Far Cry, I loved the graphics and the game play was awesome (for me) as well because so many new things were introduced in ways I had not previously seen. Max Payne and Deus Ex had the same effect on me when they first came out and to a lesser degree, the GTA games. And Riddick was one of the greatest sleeper titles ever.

Doom 3 was the beginning of the slippery slope for me with a massively underwhelming experience. It looked GREAT and the engine was nice but the game itself sucked. Half Life 2 came out and was quite fun but I was more interested in CS:S and over-time Steam has taking a lot of the pleasure out of that. It is still the favorite of my recent games.

I was very excited about F.E.A.R. and Q4 especially after reading all the great initial reviews and lo and behold, two steaming piles of turd on my HDD. FEAR introduced very little and had one of the crappiest torch effects I have seen in a long time. But the tracer effects were cool.

Q4 likewise looked lovely and tried really hard but ended up being as bleh as FEAR and D3. Go from room to room, shoot stuff, interact with something, move on. Nothing to challenge the gamer.

The Splinter Cell series is about all that keeps me going at the moment because at least it is innovate in many ways and the stealth aspect is interesting.

I just finished my second run through Q4 and it simply reinforced the fact that the game looked great but what else?

I don't know if my expectations have been raised or if games simply suck ass for the most part these days.

Acid Rain
11-22-05, 02:21 AM
Apparently you've had your fill of certain types of game. No biggy. You'll snap back, perhaps, and if not, there are plenty of other things to do in life. Or so I've heard....

Superfly
11-22-05, 04:33 AM
Time to sell that PC and move on dude - I also retired from playing shooters recently and have gone back to my RPG/Sim roots.

Dont get me wrong I loved both Q4 and FEAR they rocked - but they dont set me on fire with gaming passion anymore......

zoomy942
11-22-05, 06:28 AM
i know what you mean. i have been stepping away from shooters for now since there havent been any that wowed me. try Indigo Prophecy:) it'll remind you why you play games

Zorlag
11-22-05, 06:29 AM
Simply put, shooter games especially on singleplayer don't have any depth. They suck unless you just want to vent some aggression.

Now, strategy games and maybe some rpg's (not mmorpg's though) have depth and keep you playing for a good while. Mainstream strategy games have became shallow too unfortunately (just look at games like Imperial Glory and Rome Total War). So you need to take a look at independent producers and matrixgames to find some gems.

MrSavoy
11-22-05, 10:34 AM
I agree, you need to expand your horizon's a bit. Try some RPG's/MMorpg's etc etc and I bet you will be suprised. I was a die hard FPS only fan for a long while then I started playing other types and I found that I like pretty much all types now.

Riptide
11-22-05, 10:52 AM
FPS are a bit overdone. Maybe try X3 instead? Something a bit different perhaps.

BTW CS:S is still awesome. :p

CaptNKILL
11-22-05, 11:03 AM
I've been playing more Star Control 2 (PC port) and Age of Empires 3 than FEAR and Quake 4 combined. FEAR just isnt even remotely interesting to me... its just plain boring. Q4 was more fun (except for the stupid vehicle levels) but wasnt really anything ground breaking.

To be honest, 90% of my free time over the past 4-5 days has been devoted to building\messing with old computers... and I do that all day at work :p

Riptide
11-22-05, 11:09 AM
Star Control 2 is a PC port since when? I thought the only platform it came out for was PC...

Star Control 2 is an awesome game. Sazar if you are bored you might give that old one a shot, it's a lot of fun. Great storyline. Very immersive. Another classic, even older, is Star Flight. Graphics are horrible by today's standards but the game is really a great one. You'll need a utility to slow down your PC though. lol

CaptNKILL
11-22-05, 11:34 AM
Star Control 2 is a PC port since when? I thought the only platform it came out for was PC...

Star Control 2 is an awesome game. Sazar if you are bored you might give that old one a shot, it's a lot of fun. Great storyline. Very immersive. Another classic, even older, is Star Flight. Graphics are horrible by today's standards but the game is really a great one. You'll need a utility to slow down your PC though. lol
It was ported to the 3DO with much improved graphics and videos and full audio for all the aliens and all dialog, then in 2002 the original makers of the game released the source code to the PC and a port was made. Ive only played the port, and its FANTASTIC. It can be configured to be more like the 3DO version or the old PC version, whichever you prefer.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

It has some frustrating points, but overall its fun and addicting. There are sooo many races, and hundreds of solar systems containing thousands of planets which have thousands of moons. This game is HUGE.

Riptide
11-22-05, 11:45 AM
If you liked it CaptN I suggest giving StarFlight a try if you can handle the ancient graphics. The storyline is just as good as StarControl 2, possibly even better IMO.

CaptNKILL
11-22-05, 11:56 AM
If you liked it CaptN I suggest giving StarFlight a try if you can handle the ancient graphics. The storyline is just as good as StarControl 2, possibly even better IMO.
Im still playing Star Control 2 for now, but I remember playing StarFlight on the Genesis a long time ago... I remember it had a really slow pace, but it was pretty cool.

Riptide
11-22-05, 11:57 AM
The PC and C64 versions were superior, if I remember correctly. Give it a shot sometime if you get a chance. It's also freeware.

CaptNKILL
11-22-05, 12:11 PM
The PC and C64 versions were superior, if I remember correctly. Give it a shot sometime if you get a chance. It's also freeware.
I just looked at some screen shots... the DOS version looks reaallllyy bad :o

The genesis version looks a lot better.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/starflight/screenshots

Riptide
11-22-05, 12:15 PM
I looked at the Amiga version as well and honestly they are all pretty close IMO. The Sega version is just as blocky and old looking as the rest really. The colors don't seem any better either.

PaiN
11-22-05, 12:54 PM
I felt the same way after playing the "big" three FPSers..... I was bored with the same old-same old
It was time to switch game types...I tried X3, it was great but I could never getting it running right. So I ended up playing Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GotY Edition ......and I'm totally absorbed in the world, Morrowind is a great RPG ....and the polar oppsite of the FPSers I needed to get a break from.
http://www.morrowind.com/games/goty_overview.htm
http://forums.cluboverclocker.com/showthread.php?t=3467