PDA

View Full Version : Should PC Gamers buy into the hype?

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
11-22-05, 11:51 AM
I thought this was an interesting article over at IGN... regarding the XB360 vs. PC argument that never seems to end.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/668/668631p1.html

LiquidX
11-22-05, 11:54 AM
Look how many buy into buying a new $500 video card every few months.:cool:

Ninjaman09
11-22-05, 11:59 AM
I thought it was kind of unfocused, but interesting :). I do think that people get swept up in hype a little too easily. Even I was tempted to go wait in line at Walmart last night before coming to my senses. The 360 will be available widely soon enough and probably with more games by then too, so I'm content to wait until then.

jAkUp
11-22-05, 01:36 PM
I kinda thought about it last night too..lol

holmes
11-22-05, 01:51 PM
hmm... I wasn't even aware the xbox 360 was launching today. Not like I care, though..
;)

evilchris
11-22-05, 01:59 PM
u r kewl

Gaco
11-22-05, 02:00 PM
Lol holmes, have you been sleeping under a rock the past few months? :P

Anyway I'm pretty sure I'll have the xbox 360 too, just not right at launch :)

EDIT: So I read the article. Aaahh, I actually feel much better just now and the article seemed to have convinced me the last bit (at least for the time being) that I'd rather have a good computer opgrade/whole new rig if possible this christmas than an Xbox 360. Great :D

evilchris
11-22-05, 02:01 PM
One things for sure, even if you don't want it you should buy it at launch. The $399 premium is fetching $2,500 on ebay.

evilghost
11-22-05, 02:28 PM
hmm... I wasn't even aware the xbox 360 was launching today. Not like I care, though..
;)

I knew it was coming and snickered, I sold my XBox long ago and rid my house of the ugly monopoly.

evilchris
11-22-05, 02:50 PM
I knew it was coming and snickered, I sold my XBox long ago and rid my house of the ugly monopoly.

Turn off your electricity and water too, damn monopolies.

You should also throw out that videocard of yours, afterall NVIDIA did produce Microsoft's Xbox chip. You should not support anyone who does business with Microsoft.

Edge
11-22-05, 05:18 PM
Meh, is it just me, or are IGN's articles becoming poorly written? They seem to ignore VERY obvious things (they talk about how the Xbox 360 has so few games availible while the PC has many, yet they don't mention the Xbox 360 backwards compatible with Xbox games?). Not to mention many things they say are just plain false...Madden and NBA are BETTER for the PC? Unless I'm mistaken, the PC version is just a port of the PS2/Xbox version, which is hardly comparable to the Xbox 360 version. Seems like they're just trying to come up with reasons for the sake of filling that blank space on their webpage that SHOULD be filled with real news ;)

Look how many buy into buying a new $500 video card every few months.:cool:
Yeah, no kidding, some of these crazy people are getting a 7800GTX SLI setup to replace their 6800Ultra SLI setup :p

xbob
11-22-05, 05:24 PM
I wish I would have pre-ordered a 360... so I could list it on ebay tonight.

evilchris
11-22-05, 07:48 PM
I wish I would have pre-ordered a 360... so I could list it on ebay tonight.
You're gaming with a GeForce 4 MX and a 6200 and would sell the Xbox? lol

holmes
11-22-05, 08:36 PM

I don't understand why some people think the xbox is the end all, be all of gaming. It's kind of funny actually.. it's not like the games I've been playing for the past couple of months suddenly became crap because a new console came out. I'm still having just as much fun as I always have. But, I guess I just don't get it...

Fuku2
11-22-05, 08:50 PM
Kind of depends on what you want. I like both the PC and consoles but only own an Xbox currently. It's modded so I have emulators on it too. I like playing those old games on a regular TV rather than a monitor.

Vagrant Zero
11-22-05, 08:53 PM
I don't understand why some people think the xbox is the end all, be all of gaming. It's kind of funny actually.. it's not like the games I've been playing for the past couple of months suddenly became crap because a new console came out. I'm still having just as much fun as I always have. But, I guess I just don't get it...

No doubt. DQ8 is occupying the majority of time, net-gen consoles or not.

evilchris
11-22-05, 09:09 PM
Where did you read it was the be all end all of gaming?

To me, it's just a kickass system with some kickass games and the first console to do HD well. It doesn't have to be "better" or "worse" compared to PC. It isn't a freaking football game.

"PC only" snobs are exactly how you describe. A game like FEAR comes out and all you hear is how every other game "sucks" if it doesn't look as good as FEAR.

xbob
11-22-05, 09:25 PM

Actually I need to update my sig, I'm gaming with a 7800GT and an X800XL, I just joined nVnews for Linux driver discussions originally. It just turns out there are some other decent discussions here, although I do need to go over to Rage3D and put some more sand in SSXs vag one of these days, great sig.

evilchris
11-22-05, 09:30 PM
Ah ok. Nice cards.

nutcrackr
11-22-05, 09:34 PM
I certainly haven't bought into the hype, guess it doesn't mean anything because we don't get the system until march 06 anyway. By then I'm sure I'll have a well formed opinion of the system.

aAv7
11-22-05, 09:38 PM
I didn't buy into the hype because quite frankly, xbox sucks. I'm a proud Nintendo fan boy and have no interest in anything else console-wise. I'm mainly a "pc snob". =D

evilchris
11-22-05, 09:39 PM
Is there a lot of hype? This seems to be the most uneventful console launch ever.

xbob
11-22-05, 09:44 PM
I bought into the hype on the first Xbox, it's going to take an impressive line up free of Brute Force or Halo 1.5 to make me consider the 360:D

SDinc
11-22-05, 11:10 PM
My only gripe about the 360 is the attempt to unify the control system. There is NO WAY I want to be stuck with using a stupid console controller when playing PC games that should have been designed with a mouse/keyboard interface. I am afraid that the next move will be 360-PC ports that work with the controller only. That way publishers can save as much money as possible in supporting both platforms. (PC gamers bend over!)

evilchris
11-22-05, 11:16 PM
If the majority of PC gamers actually bought games instead of stealing them perhaps more developers would support PC gaming.