PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Asrock 939DualSata2???

d2thez
11-22-05, 03:56 PM
I am considering buying this mobo as a good transition from my current Nforce3 AGP with my 6800 Ultra AGP tp PCI express.

Does anybody use this mobo or have experience with it?? I am looking for feedback either positive or negative. Thoughts??

I myself am not so sure about Asrock, I just wish Abit or Asus or Epox would make a version or something!

saturnotaku
11-22-05, 04:06 PM
Asrock is Asus, just in case you didn't know. I can't comment on this specific board, but I've generally heard good things about their products.

Starscream
11-22-05, 05:59 PM
It's getting good reviews.

I own a computer store and the vast majority of boards we sell are Asrock. They're good stuff.

simonuk
11-25-05, 01:48 PM
I own the Asrock 939 Dual Sata 2 and have found it to be a very good motherboard. It only has limited overclocking features which for me isn't a problem, the 939 Dual Sata 2 is a buget motherboard so you obviously can't expect all of the features of a motherboard costing alot more.

jolle
11-25-05, 02:20 PM
Arent there modded BIOSes with some extra OC related BIOS options around?
Thought I heard it mentioned atleast..

simonuk
11-26-05, 08:54 AM
Arent there modded BIOSes with some extra OC related BIOS options around?
Thought I heard it mentioned atleast..

Although that is true and they can be found at http://www.ocworkbench.com/2005/asrock/bios/betabios.htm I wouldn't recommend them because this motherboard wasn't designed for overclocking.

jolle
11-27-05, 11:39 AM
The Anand review showed it to be a pretty good OCer..
why do you say that? alot of people killed their mobos or something?

The ASRock is another good overclocker, demonstrating again that a cheap ULi board with somewhat limited options can still be a superb overclocker.
With a refined BIOS and expanded memory voltage adjustments, this board could be a monster hit for ASRock.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2524&p=8

Richteralan
11-28-05, 05:04 PM
You should be very careful about this mobo.

I'm using it. The customer service is plain awful. And what user's manual said isn't correct(caused me burnt one BIOS chip).

The ULi chipset is not bad, btw.

I wouldn't suggest you buy this one just for the transition.

I suggest you should keep your NF3, then go PCIe all together.
There's no need to do "transition" now, because PCIe display cards are cheaper than AGP and much more easier to find.

Richteralan
11-28-05, 05:05 PM
Asrock is Asus, just in case you didn't know. I can't comment on this specific board, but I've generally heard good things about their products.

Asus is of low quality, and Asrock inhereted this.

Richteralan
11-28-05, 05:08 PM
Oh, and yes,
Big brands like ABIT, Gigbyte, ASUS etc....won't make any board using ULi M1695.
But most of them probably will make motherboards using the new ULi M1697 chipset, together with M1695 to achieve real dual PCIe x16 slots, and won't have AGP support by using M1567 south bridge.

jolle
12-25-05, 09:17 AM
resurrecting this old thread here, just got myself this board, and Im just curious to what software people use to check CPU temp? since Asrock dont seem to supply one themselves..

GitDat
01-12-06, 03:24 PM
I just ordered this board myself today. Can't beat the "future CPU exapansion" slot :cool: Can't wait.

jolle
01-12-06, 03:46 PM
A this ole thread again.. hehe
well I resorted to using SpeedFan, added these switches:
/nonvidiai2c /nopciscan
otherwise it would conflict with V-Tuner II, I think only the last one was needed tho..
With those options, what remains of the sensors are CPU, NB, HD and CPU FAN, which is all I need anyway.

wheeljack12
01-12-06, 08:53 PM
if you are looking for Socket 939 AGP and PCI-E motherboards, biostar makes a Nforce 4 one.

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=nf4st-a9

AliceCooper
01-15-06, 05:38 PM
I have had no probs with this board so far, so I'm happy. The only time I needed to contact support I got an email within 12 hours, not bad IMO.

AFAIK ASUS make excellent O/C' s mobos so ASRock should be good boards.

I've use the AGp & now the PCIe graqphics slots and both were excellent. As a low cost mobo it is very good.

Cheers

rev.
01-15-06, 05:53 PM
I used one to transition, ran my 4000+ stock and 2 Gbs of Memory 2-3-2-5 1t timings. I also used both an agp X800Xt and a PCI-e 7800GT...the board was strong on both accounts. i had issues OCing though, but at stock it was excellent.

GitDat
01-15-06, 05:57 PM
i had issues OCing though, but at stock it was excellent.

I'm having similar issues. I can't get mine to run over 213 FSB and be stable. I've tried everything I can think of and that just seems to be the limit :(

jolle
01-15-06, 06:18 PM
im running mine 10x230 with RAM in sync atm.

Q
01-15-06, 11:42 PM
My thoughts is that the board is a load of monkey crap.

With PQI memory, at least. (PQI is the same as OCZ, but with a different name)

The memory is fine and I don't overclock. I've run memtest and used our memory tester at work...I have to either run ALL of my timings +1 or use the compatibility mode (performance cut in half, literally) within the Asrock board's bios. Otherwise I get the cold boot issue that a lot of people have been experiencing. Or I get BSODs, which are nice.