PDA

View Full Version : Help with 5.1 surround sound setup :(

bugmage
11-23-05, 02:09 AM
My motherboard tells me its supports 5.1 and shows how to set it up in the manual, plugging 2 front into one spot 2 into the other and so on, however my problem is my speaker system goes to the sub then to the computer with a green, black ,and tan plug, looks like im going to need a soundcard? or can you make this work, i only have 2 speakers and the sub working right now. I have the windows software set to 5.1 is there anything else i would need to tuch?

TierMann
11-23-05, 02:31 AM
1) Are all three of your plugs connected
2) What chipset is it (ACL850?)
3) Which drivers (nvidia or realtek?).

For nVidia Mixer you set it to Surround and in the Realtek control panel you should choose 6 speakers from the speaker config tab.
If you only have 3 connections on the back it will automatically asign them as front L/R, rear L/R, and center/sub. If you use the surrround add-on for the mobo headers or you allready have 6 connections then you just connect them to the appropriate ones.

LTech221
11-23-05, 02:32 AM
What motherboard? Also most pc speaker systems will have the amp built into the sub, so all the connections will be going into it. For 5.1 there should be 3 plugs as you mentioned U have. U simply plug the GREEN into the Front output, the BLACK into the REAR, and tan/orange/whatever else color into the CENTER/SUB jack. there should only be 3 cables as each cable carries a stereo signal, meaning 2 channels per cable. IF your board says 5.1 output it should be able to support it.

bugmage
11-23-05, 07:10 AM
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cfm?pName=NF4K8MC-ERS

ive tryed it with all 3 plugs in and then i switched the 2 outside ones

on a lighter not i stripped my lcd successfully last night for my DIY projector monitor and my a8n cmv and 6800gs come in today :)

is there a setting in windows to switch over to 5.1, the speaker setup in the audio section of the control panel says 5.1 and also in the nvidia software but i was using the mic before so idk if there somethign i left out

TierMann
11-23-05, 10:29 AM
I almost forgot. There's one extra setting though if you have the nvidia drivers and only 3 outputs. I just need about 5 mins to install them and check exactly where it's at because I'm not using them right now.

Ok. Open windows Volume Control and make sure Options->Advanced is checked.
Now you should have a button under the Master Volume slider that says "Advanced". Click that.
Down at the bottom of the Advanced Controls window you should have 2 checkboxes... "1 Rear Speakers connected to line in" and "2 Center speaker and subwoofer connected to Microphone". Check both boxes and make sure your speakers are connected correctly. Now you should get sound out of all of them.

bugmage
11-23-05, 10:17 PM
well i fixed those setting you told me and no go, then I switched to windows media player instead of winamp, and it all kicked on!!! thanks a bunch man:) fear doesnt have 5.1 for some reason but thats ok, have a good thanksgiving! :angel:

TierMann
11-23-05, 10:25 PM
well i fixed those setting you told me and no go, then I switched to windows media player instead of winamp, and it all kicked on!!! thanks a bunch man:) fear doesnt have 5.1 for some reason but thats ok, have a good thanksgiving! :angel:

There are a couple of 5.1 plugins for winamp if you want to upmix your mp3's to 5.1, also the nv mixer has a clone mode that supposedly gives you surround stereo but I never got it to work properly here.