PDA

View Full Version : I dont understand why QUAKE4 plays like CRAP??

newls1
11-23-05, 08:22 AM
Quake4 seems to be the only game that plays like crap for me and shouldn't. The game lags like a 89 year old lady. People say its because of my OC, well, I put everything to stock settings and the same thing, but WORSE! I just installed the new 81.95driver from nvidia, and still the same performance. Im using 7800GT's SLi, amd FX57, and 2GB ballistix ram PC4000. I installed this game on my other PC that only has a 3000+ Venice @ 2.52GHz, 1GB ram, and a 6800Ultra, and the game PLAYS BUTTER SMOOTH. What am I doing wrong here. Im getting VERY pissed at this PC. I can play FEAR, UT2004, NFSU2, and all these play fine, just not Q4. Any help would be great, and thanks to all.

Peoples-Agent
11-23-05, 08:34 AM
Well, I would start by reinstalling forceware.

Then, I have heard rumours of an issue with some recent Creative Audigy drivers causing similar behaviour, might be a place to look at.

Very strange issue, how have you got your SLI setup?
Make sure you use the Q4 profile and set display to Auto Select.

Worst fears turn towards a throttling issue with the GTs, use Rivatuner to monitor tempratures.

newls1
11-23-05, 08:55 AM
Well, I would start by reinstalling forceware.

Then, I have heard rumours of an issue with some recent Creative Audigy drivers causing similar behaviour, might be a place to look at.

Very strange issue, how have you got your SLI setup?
Make sure you use the Q4 profile and set display to Auto Select.

Worst fears turn towards a throttling issue with the GTs, use Rivatuner to monitor tempratures.
My temps go to 41c when loaded, so not a temp issue. Im using the onboard sound now to see if this fixed it, and still same issue. Do I have to load the Q4 profile manually?

Guz
11-23-05, 10:50 AM
I can confirm SLI is not even working with the latest 81.95 drivers. You can see if its working by applying the "show load balancing" feature in the drivers...

OWA
11-23-05, 11:40 AM
You mean like this:

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4630/quake4sliloadbalancer6oe.th.jpg (http://img37.imageshack.us/my.php?image=quake4sliloadbalancer6oe.jpg)

Do I have to load the Q4 profile manually?
It should work automatically. I don't do anything special, it just works. Here is my profile. Try comparing it to yours. The only thing I do is check AA, AF, Image Quality, Vsync, Hardware Acceleration, Triple Buffering, SLI rendering mode, and Negative LOD Bias. AA, AF = app contorl. IQ = High Quality, vsync = app control, Hardware accel = single display, triple buffering = off control, SLI mode is predefined (read only), negative LOD bias = Clamp.

Also, you do have your monitor plugged into the first card right and not the 2nd?

Edit: Something I mentioned in the other Quake 4 SLI thread.

Yeah, it's definitely working for me. I used the com_fixedTic 1 option to get rid of the 60fps cap and SLI basically doubles the framerate. In an area where I was getting 60'ish with two cards, I was in the 30s with a single card. In an area I was getting 60'ish with a single card I was in the 100s with SLI.

Edit2: Using the com_fixedTic 1 option also makes it easier to test vsync. I can confirm it is working properly since I was at 100+ fps in a test area, I went to the options, enabled vsync, did a vid_restart and then I was at 60fps (my monitors refresh rate).

:PopCorn
11-23-05, 12:59 PM
I used the com_fixedTic 1 option to get rid of the 60fps cap and SLI basically doubles the framerate. In an area where I was getting 60'ish with two cards, I was in the 30s with a single card. In an area I was getting 60'ish with a single card I was in the 100s with SLI.

I don't know how many people know about this tweak for the Doom 3 engine games but it works great.

I use this as well running at 1024x768 Widescreen mode @ 60Hz, with v-synch ON, Triple Buffering Enabled and Clamp ON in the nvidia control panel. Q4 runs locked at a perfectly smooth 60 FPS, constant. I use this same set up in Doom 3 and it runs the same as Q4, I mean super buttery smooth but I can run that game @ 1680x1050. 60 FPS constant.

And as you can see, my Hardware is not top of the line anymore and my 6800 GT while a great card, doesn't have the Horsepower of the 7800 Line.

This is a great tweak that I wish more people knew about. It turns these latest Id Engine games from a Tearing, stuttering mess into the smoothest gameplay around.

Thanks for bringing this up.

fatal1ty
11-23-05, 02:40 PM
Edit2: Using the com_fixedTic 1 option also makes it easier to test vsync. I can confirm it is working properly since I was at 100+ fps in a test area, I went to the options, enabled vsync, did a vid_restart and then I was at 60fps (my monitors refresh rate).

Unfortunately it wont let you unlock the cap for MP though.

Try without your OC. I had my 512GTX ocd and started dropping from a steady 60 fps in MP to 40s, the card was throttling due to OC of 590 / 1.75.

I found that at stock it's fine. Seems my card wont OC for crap. 560 / 1.70 is as good as it's getting :(

newls1
11-23-05, 02:48 PM
where do I go to type in com_fixedtic 1 ????

iyos
11-23-05, 02:56 PM
Thats because it uses the D3 engine - which is a crock of <beep!>. If you play online, grab the FPS maps (google dr4ch fps maps) an use r_lightdetaillevel 9 for a huge FPS increase.

Edit: It may help if I read the whole post. Sounds like sound issues, try the OpenAL update 'fix': http://www.openal.org/downloads.html, or disable it totally. Make sure you have no conflicting IRQ's also.

OWA
11-23-05, 02:59 PM
In the console (hit ctrl-alt-~ to bring it up).

Unfortunately it wont let you unlock the cap for MP though.
I was mainly mentioning it as an easy way to test things, especially vsync, although :PopCorn's method sounds like it's worth a shot if things aren't smooth when playing it. It's smooth for me without having to do that though.

11-23-05, 04:54 PM
where do I go to type in com_fixedtic 1 ????

I simply created an autoexec.cfg and stuck it in there. Here is my config, just stick it in your ?:\Program Files\id Software\Quake 4\q4base or ?:\Program Files\Doom 3\base folder. This is the same one I use for both games.

Important note though: You need to be running @ 60 Hz on your monitor (so that it is in sync with the 60 FPS cap in the engine and the max cap in the autoexec.cfg), you need to Enable Triple Buffering and Vsync (application preference or whatever) in nVidia Control Panel and make sure you have it (v-sync that is) Enabled within the game itself.

This creates a perfectly capped and in sync 60 fps with zero tearing and is Buttery smooth. You do need to run at a resolution however that can maintain 60 FPS or you will see slowdown. The Triple buffering will help this but still, if you want the perfectly smooth framerate without slowdown, stay at a reasonable resolution according to whatever hardware you have that can deliver steady frames of 60 per second.

Edit: Just looked at your sig, steady frames shouldn't be a problem with your rig. ;)

BTW: Right click on file, save as, open with winzip.

Guz
11-23-05, 05:02 PM
I restarted my pc and now SLI works again with the latest driver. Any one notice SLI does not work with the quak4 tool?? Once you build the interaction.vpf file the load balancing turns off...

OWA
11-23-05, 05:15 PM
It works fine for me. I'm using Quak 1.0.1b and SLI is still enabled when using it.

newls1
11-23-05, 05:17 PM
I simply created an autoexec.cfg and stuck it in there. Here is my config, just stick it in your ?:\Program Files\id Software\Quake 4\q4base or ?:\Program Files\Doom 3\base folder. This is the same one I use for both games.

Important note though: You need to be running @ 60 Hz on your monitor (so that it is in sync with the 60 FPS cap in the engine and the max cap in the autoexec.cfg), you need to Enable Triple Buffering and Vsync (application preference or whatever) in nVidia Control Panel and make sure you have it (v-sync that is) Enabled within the game itself.

This creates a perfectly capped and in sync 60 fps with zero tearing and is Buttery smooth. You do need to run at a resolution however that can maintain 60 FPS or you will see slowdown. The Triple buffering will help this but still, if you want the perfectly smooth framerate without slowdown, stay at a reasonable resolution according to whatever hardware you have that can deliver steady frames of 60 per second.

Edit: Just looked at your sig, steady frames shouldn't be a problem with your rig. ;)

BTW: Right click on file, save as, open with winzip.

Hey thanks for that, I'll try it now....

newls1
11-23-05, 05:19 PM
Thats because it uses the D3 engine - which is a crock of <beep!>. If you play online, grab the FPS maps (google dr4ch fps maps) an use r_lightdetaillevel 9 for a huge FPS increase.

Edit: It may help if I read the whole post. Sounds like sound issues, try the OpenAL update 'fix': http://www.openal.org/downloads.html, or disable it totally. Make sure you have no conflicting IRQ's also.
Which one do I download, the SDK kit, or the updater?

11-23-05, 05:29 PM
No problem. Hope it helps. It smoothed both games out for me.

squall_leonhart
06-09-06, 05:27 AM

the doom3 engine is perfectly fine and optimised for Nvidia opengl extensions.

this is more like a driver or hardware configuration issue.

if you had a problem with the engine at all then its time you start looking for help as the problem lies within you, and not the engine.

5900XT = Doom3@1024x768@Ultra High qualty = Average 55fps/minimum 35