PDA

View Full Version : Is the "refresh rate overrides" menu working correctly ?

NiukNiuk
11-23-05, 09:24 AM
I've noticed a strange "bug" with the 81.xx series:

I install the drivers, set my settings etc...and in particulary the refresh rates I want for each resolution, thanks to the "override" menu of the drivers.

Now, let's take for example GuildWars or Quake 4 :
I start guild wars, in it's options menu the refresh rate is set to the max (75hz) for the resolution I play (1600x1200), but thanks to the override menu of the forceware drivers, the game was started at 85hz (the maximum that can handle my monitor).
Everything works fine, this is the refresh rate that I want.
Ok, I exit guildwars, and launch Quake 4 (or doom3)
I play at 1280x960@100hz, and the game starts at the correct "custom" refresh rate: 100hz, so no problems.

Ok now I reboot my computer, and try to play guildwars and quake 4 again:

Guild wars starts @ 75hz, and quake 4 starts @ 60hz
:confused:
I go to the refresh rate overrides menu of the forceware driver, and everything seems normal.
So my question is: is it a bug?
I didn't have this issue with the first 8x.xx forcewares, I only noticed it with 81.85 I think...and everything was fine too with the 7x.xx series.
That's weird, some games run at the desired refresh rates, and some others don't.
You may say " hey, use reforce it works great !"
Yeah, it works fine, but several games don't like it (for example: age of empires III, if I try to use a "forced" a refresh rate with reforce, the game crashes when I try to start it.)
So, does anyone know what causes this?
Maybe it's the new "direct access" option? I don't know:(
Thanks for any answers (and for reading my basic english ;) )

WimpMiester
11-23-05, 02:08 PM
Sounds like a driver bug to me. But if your going to use the Refresh Overrides option then leave all your games at 60Hz or default, you’re less likely to have a problem that way.

NiukNiuk
11-23-05, 02:34 PM
Sounds like a driver bug to me. But if your going to use the Refresh Overrides option then leave all your games at 60Hz or default, you’re less likely to have a problem that way.

Maybe you're right...I'll try to leave the refresh rate to its default setting in these games and see what will happen.
Thanks for your answer.

OWA
11-23-05, 02:39 PM
Be warned, if you decide to use one of the utilities to force the refresh rate, like reforce (refreshforce), some games won't work properly (like Fable). The 3rd party utilities are an easy solution but unfortunately, some games don't like having the refresh rate forced in the manner that they do it.

NiukNiuk
11-23-05, 02:54 PM
Be warned, if you decide to use one of the utilities to force the refresh rate, like reforce (refreshforce), some games won't work properly (like Fable). The 3rd party utilities are an easy solution but unfortunately, some games don't like having the refresh rate forced in the manner that they do it.

Yeah, I know that, I used reforce a long time ago...but I had some problems with games, so I used the forceware refresh force override menu and it worked perfectly until now :(
BTW: I've just tried to launch guildwars @ 1600x1200 (85hz selected in the refresh override menu), but it still start @ 75hz...even if I set the refresh rate to "default" or "60hz" in guildwars 's option menu :(
The refresh rate override still doesn't work if I use a lower resolution :
If I select 800x600 ou 1024x768 (which normally use 120hz), the game starts @ 100hz.
I think it's a driver bug.

WimpMiester
11-23-05, 09:20 PM
How about the "Hide modes this monitor cannot display" check box on the Monitor Tab? Try leaving it unchecked and see what happens.

NiukNiuk
11-24-05, 02:01 AM
How about the "Hide modes this monitor cannot display" check box on the Monitor Tab? Try leaving it unchecked and see what happens.

Thanks for you answer
I've just tried this, but it still doesn't work :(
Oh well, i'll wait for a new forceware, hoping that nvidia is aware of this bug....:o

fatal1ty
11-24-05, 02:18 AM
For the first time ever this happened to me with the 81.95s. Was set to 75 Hz but in game was 60hz. grrr.

Greg
11-26-05, 11:53 PM
I just enabled Refresh Rate Override with the registry key. The overrides have no effect in driver 81.95 for me. It is a great pity overrides are not officially supported anymore.

rewt
11-27-05, 08:32 AM
They work for me most of the time in 81.95. But I have run into problems with a couple games in SLI while using Alternate Frame Rendering mode. One game that I can remember right off-hand is Need For Speed Most Wanted. That game has corrupted screen when overriding the refresh rate while using AFR2 in SLI. But if I change to SLIAA instead, the problem goes away and overrides work just fine.

Fortunately, many game developers are beginning to put the option to select refresh rate in-game now.

Dmitry_N
11-28-05, 03:57 AM
Are you sure you have your NVIDIA Driver Helper Service set to Automatic? If you set it to manual or disabled, NVIDIA's native refresh rate ovverrides won't work.

rewt
12-04-05, 01:14 AM
I have run into problems with a couple games in SLI while using Alternate Frame Rendering mode. One game that I can remember right off-hand is Need For Speed Most Wanted.

Enabling Vsync has fixed the issue. Now I can force refresh rate of 85Hz while using SLI and AFR2 mode.

RpPRO
12-04-05, 08:41 AM
I just enabled Refresh Rate Override with the registry key. The overrides have no effect in driver 81.95 for me. It is a great pity overrides are not officially supported anymore.
Well, I'm using the XG version, which comes with the registry hacks and the override refresh rate function works properly for me.

SLippe
12-04-05, 02:19 PM
The Override Refresh Rate option works for me as well, of course, it always has for me. I have every resolution I use or that a game might use set, anywhere from 640x480 to 1280x1024. Since I play NHL 06 the most right now, I have VSync set to On in the CP as well. My 2 cents. Oh, I only have the demo for NFSMW right now, but works on it as well.

skoprowski
12-05-05, 12:14 PM
Refresh override never worked well for me for OpenGL games like Quake4. I have to use refresh force for the OpenGL games. My wife's system has a ATI X800XL and their refresh force option in the driver works perfect for all games- wonder what the deal is with Nvidia drivers.....

rewt
12-05-05, 03:32 PM
Refresh override never worked well for me for OpenGL games like Quake4. I have to use refresh force for the OpenGL games. My wife's system has a ATI X800XL and their refresh force option in the driver works perfect for all games- wonder what the deal is with Nvidia drivers.....

Hmmm

Are you sure you have your NVIDIA Driver Helper Service set to Automatic? If you set it to manual or disabled, NVIDIA's native refresh rate ovverrides won't work.

skoprowski
12-05-05, 06:01 PM
so how do you enable "driver helper service?"

rewt
12-05-05, 06:17 PM
Start > Run > "services.msc"

Right-click "NVIDIA Display Driver Service" > Properties

Make sure Startup Type is Automatic. Click apply.

Next,

Start > Run > "msconfig"

Click Startup Tab

Make sure "nwiz" and "NvCPL" items are checked, click apply.

Reboot

skoprowski
12-05-05, 06:37 PM
thanx- but it still didn't work for me :(