PDA

View Full Version : Buy Q4 or fear?

Pages : [1] 2

eli
11-23-05, 05:13 PM
just finished hl2, good game yes, but i need a game with more frags. So which game should i go for? i loved hl1 and QII for that, quad damage double shotgun if u know what i mean! What should i buy, should i consider doom3?

jAkUp
11-23-05, 05:18 PM
Alot of people are gonna tell you different answers...

If you can grab both, I would do that. But, the better game IMO is F.E.A.R. by a longshot. They are both good, but I just enjoyed Fear more than any other game this year. I think I enjoyed it even more than HL2.

I only played through each quake4 and Fear once, but I am itching to play through Fear again... quake4, maybe another day.

Ninjaman09
11-23-05, 05:23 PM
I'm gonna agree with jAkUp here, FEAR is an awesome game and should definitely be at the top of your list if you're looking for a new FPS.

OWA
11-23-05, 05:26 PM
Quake 4 by a longshot! :) FEAR is good also but it's slower paced and IMO just not quite as fun.

de><ta
11-23-05, 05:27 PM
F.E.A.R. definitely.

Replay value is a lot higher.

LurkerLito
11-23-05, 05:31 PM
I am with OWA on this one. I like both games but I got FEAR before Quake 4 (by a few weeks) and I finished Quake 4 about 2 days ago and I still haven't gotten around to finishing FEAR. Quake feels more fun to me.

BioHazZarD
11-23-05, 06:08 PM
Quake was better, fear had way to tight and boring levels, at least in q4 there is some changing in that.

Superfly
11-23-05, 06:22 PM
Q4 by a whisker

CaptNKILL
11-23-05, 06:30 PM
Quake was better, fear had way to tight and boring levels, at least in q4 there is some changing in that.
Yeah, I think I agree... FEAR has been boring me. I havent been itching to play it really, the single player portion is more of a "well, I guess I'll play it and see what happens" type thing.

The combat can be cool, but its not really anything new. Same with Quake 4, but theres a lot more of it... that game is PACKED to the brim with fighting. FEAR has really long segments of nothing but walking through office buildings looking for phones and laptops to get info (that isnt really all that interesting).

I am enjoying it, its just not that interesting. And deffinitely not scary... I dont get scared from games at all anymore, so thats probably why. The only thing that really made me scared and nervous was fighting one of the big rocket launching mechs. They move fast and will whoop your ass so its a real rush trying to find cover with one chasing you.

Its hard to recommend one over the other, but I enjoyed Q4 sp more than ive enjoyed FEAR so far.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-23-05, 06:31 PM
I just got both. I was playing both, some F.E.A.R there and some Quake 4 here, you know how it goes... Well... the more I got into Quake 4 the less time F.E.A.R got. I beat Q4 today so I guess I will start playing F.E.A.R again soon. I don't know, I just got into Quake4 more than F.E.A.R...

Quake 4 is very immersive, at least for me. F.E.A.R is too repetitive. Very heavily scripted, I don't know how anybody could say this title has much replay value.. you already know about all the freaky stuff and whats gonna happen, kinda takes the fear out of it:lol: its good, just not as good as I was hoping:thumbsup:

LORD-eX-Bu
11-23-05, 06:34 PM
that last level in Quake 4 is pretty tough.... me likes:rw:

crainger
11-23-05, 06:39 PM
A vote for Quake 4 for me. I've finished FEAR and a part though Quake 4 and so far Quake 4 is more my style. Plus Quake 4 features the voice Peter Stormare. Can't go wrong there.

jAkUp
11-23-05, 06:41 PM
Slow motion in an FPS is definetely something new.

I thought quake4 was rather repetitive... it does have a few vehicles here and there, but they are horrible IMO. I just wanted those sequences to end :D

Anyways, yea their both good. I'm still not feeling quake4 MP though :( Its sad beacause I was looking forward to that more than anything. I was a huge quake3 player back in the day, but something just isn't right about quake4... it doesn't feel the same to me :( I was playing quake3 a week prior, and loving it, so I know its not my tastes... :(

Smokey
11-23-05, 06:45 PM
LORD-eX-Bu.....its been a few years, good to see you back and posting, how was your mission, I think thats why you left?

For SP I am enjoying FEAR more than Q4, tho I like both, FEAR just has the best SP gun battles I have ever had, and also the best shotgun, and very nice sniper/rail gun.

If its MP you are after, I would be guessing that Q4 will be what you are looking for, also will no doubt have many more mods.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-23-05, 07:07 PM
heh thanks for the welcome man. The mission was great, I'd do it again if I had the chance.

I think that one of the things that draws me away from F.E.A.R is that it is such a system hog. I don't know, maybe when I start building my new rig I'll like the game alot more but so far it has been way repetetive. The baddies are cool and smart and stuff, but they get boring after a while. Maybe if the game had a greater assortment of enemies it wouldn't be so bad.

MustangSVT
11-23-05, 07:26 PM
Maybe this'll help ya.

Quake IV
- similar to AvP/AvP2 I'd say (except for playing as predator/alien part) for SP, has some nice squad based areas
- kinda like Doom3, but faster paced
- runs better than FEAR on my system
- have heard bad things about the MP

FEAR
- slow paced SP
- more scary/better atmosphere than Q4
- gets kinda repetitive, but then so does Q4
- chugs in intensive areas on my system, but still runs fairly well
- have heard some OK things about the MP

Honestly, both games aren't too special. In terms of SP, there's many better shooters such as Riddick and Half-Life 2. Halo 2 (if you have an Xbox) I also found much more enjoyable in terms of gameplay in the SP campaign.

As for the MP, neither game I think is too special either. If I had to pick one of the two, I think I might go with FEAR. Quake IV had some really good moments when you're fighting with your squadmates, feels a lot like AvP2, but the MP in AvP2 was exponentially times better so..

I didn't like either of them enough to say they're some of the best games this year. If you ask me, BF2 provides much better gameplay than all of the shooters this year, and so does CoD2 if you like good online tdm.

Slyder
11-24-05, 01:54 AM
Id go with Q4.

F.E.A.R bored me a little. Everywhere I went looked the same. :(

eli
11-24-05, 05:08 AM
oK ty all, i buy today so post my purchase later, thanks again:)

muaddib
11-24-05, 10:25 AM
Are you kidding? F.E.A.R is in a whole different league than Q4. :rolleyes:

TierMann
11-24-05, 11:59 AM
Maybe this'll help ya.

Quake IV
- similar to AvP/AvP2 I'd say (except for playing as predator/alien part) for SP, has some nice squad based areas
- kinda like Doom3, but faster paced
- runs better than FEAR on my system
- have heard bad things about the MP

FEAR
- slow paced SP
- more scary/better atmosphere than Q4
- gets kinda repetitive, but then so does Q4
- chugs in intensive areas on my system, but still runs fairly well
- have heard some OK things about the MP

Q4 SP reminds me more of Halo than AvP. In AvP you used stealth as a weapon for both the alien and predator. Halo it was the size of your gun, there were a couple of firing vehicles, and you're fighting an alien race.

I agree on the repetitiveness of both games (and most FPS's). That's something that needs to be fixed/evolved into more advanced scripting and levels. We need more than one way to finish a map. It seems like in Halo, HL2, Doom3, Q4, Fear, etc etc, you get conveniently cut off by a locked door or avalanche or fire hazard and are forced along one narrow path. Also there's only one possible cut scene you're ever going to see each time you finish a mission or level. Although you're involved in the story it's starting to feel like you're just a pawn really and the game could play itself through from start to finish on it's own.

If you're going for atmosphere, don't care about vehicles, and want a better MP I'd go for FEAR. Otherwise go with Q4 for a more scalable game (plays smoother). All your favorite old weapons are there too if you've played the previous games and it's a nice expansion of the world.

Gaco
11-24-05, 12:20 PM
Both are very good games, and you shouldn't miss either of them. Quake 4 is definently better than Doom 3 (and I enjoyed Doom 3 also). If you have to choose one of them, keep your system specs in mind. You need at least 3ghz, 1gb ram and 6800gt to have a satisfactory experiemce with F.E.A.R. IMO and if your rig is under these standards, go for Quake 4 :)

$n][pErMan
11-24-05, 12:30 PM
QUAKE 4 hands down!!!!

Sazar
11-24-05, 12:34 PM
They are both bollocks.

F.E.A.R. sucks less since its not a repetitive frag-fest in corridors. Plus you can actually complete tasks a coupla different ways.

Ice =A=
11-24-05, 01:05 PM
I vote for Quake 4! :)
For me it's been the best game of 2005, better then HalfLife2 by far.

j0j081
11-24-05, 10:41 PM
How far in are you when he's first turned to a cyborg? That's what I played up to at a friend's house so I want to know how much longer it is before buying.