PDA

View Full Version : sata problem with ata 133

bonchez
11-23-05, 05:22 PM
I have two ATA 133 drives that have been working fine for a long time now. I just hooked up a 160GB sata drive. When the system boots up before windows it says that it reconizes the drive, but in windows when I go to my computer it doesn't show up. I'm only going to have this drive for a little while, it's the main harddrive for the computer for my better computer and it hasn't been starting windows, it says that \windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt. So, I'm going to see if I can't simply find that same file on my other computer and transfer it to the other drive. So can anyone tell me if there is something I have to do when mixing sata and ata 133.

Smokey
11-23-05, 05:37 PM
My windows is in French, so I'll try my best, but have you tried right clicking on my computer, then selecting "manage" (may not be called this, but the one after search in the list) then stockage or something, if you can see it there, you need to activate it or something along those lines. I had to do this with one of my sata drives before windows saw it.

As to your HDD, have you tried reparing the boot config via the windows cd? You can do this by going to install windows, before you continue to install at the blue screen there is an option to reparing an existing install of XP, then follow on screen instructions.

bonchez
11-23-05, 06:12 PM
Thank you, but I got the harddrive to work. I'll have to try your advice for fixing windows.