PDA

View Full Version : How to manually update nForce4 IDE/RAID driver?

Idoru
11-23-05, 07:53 PM
Just installed an A8N-E, with fresh install of XP SP2 - set up RAID 1, using the IDE/RAID drivers included with the mobo (via floppy - F6 etc).

When the system was up and running, I installed the latest 6.70 package - however, playing it safe, I didn't install the IDE driver. Current driver installed is this one: 5.10.2600.482. System feels a bit laggy (though not as comically so as before i installed the chipset drivers).

Is there a way just to upgrade nvatabus.sys and nvraid.sys drivers, without reinstalling the whole 6.70 package ie via 'update driver' option in Device Manager? Detailed instructions would help! I assume I just point Windows in the direction of C:\NVIDIA\nForceWin2KXP\6.70\IDE\WinXP\sataraid (which was unpacked onto my HD when I installed the 6.70s), as that includes both 5.52 versions?

Would I also need to update nvata.sys (found here: C:\NVIDIA\nForceWin2KXP\6.70\IDE\WinXP\sata_ide)?

Thanks.

Peoples-Agent
11-24-05, 04:28 AM
You can extract the files from within the installer using Winrar.

Install Winrar, create a new folder on desktop, right click on the installer and goto extract files.

Can now do a manual driver update from within device manager pointing it to the files in the newer created folder.

Good luck!

radekhulan
11-24-05, 05:41 AM
Update via Device manager does not always work, but you can safely copy latest nvatabus.sys and nvraid.sys into \windows\system32\drivers and restart your computer..

Idoru
11-24-05, 05:44 AM
Update via Device manager does not always work, but you can safely copy latest nvatabus.sys and nvraid.sys into \windows\system32\drivers and restart your computer..

Will I be able to rollback via a Restore point to previous drivers in case of problems? Thanks.

EDIT: OK, bit the bullet and just reinstalled using the 6.70 package, but only selecting Storage/IDE driver... as a result, I now have 5.10.2600.552 listed as the SATA driver - however the PATA driver (nvatabus.sys) is the same as before (5.10.2600.482, dated Jan 17 2005), as is the driver listed in Device Manager as Nvidia Nforce RAID Class Controller (nvraid.sys) - however, I expected them to be upgraded too. Is this correct? How come the newer version didn't install?

radekhulan
11-24-05, 07:46 AM
however, I expected them to be upgraded too. Is this correct? How come the newer version didn't install?

This is exactly why I recommend copy-over those *.sys files directly. And no, you will NOT be able to roll-back this.

Idoru
11-24-05, 11:25 AM
This is exactly why I recommend copy-over those *.sys files directly. And no, you will NOT be able to roll-back this.

OK, see where you were coming from now. Things do seem a bit snappier with the new SATA driver, I'll see how it goes before swapping in the other 5.52 versions as per your suggestion - I guess because it involves my RAID setup I'm being a little cautious about deep-sixing the whole thing. Can't face a second reinstall in 24 hours...

Does this mean then that any future nForce4 package will also fail to install new versions of nvraid.sys and nvatabus.sys? Seems a bit dumb....:confused:

VIA seemed to have it sorted far better with the Hyperion driver package I had on my old A8V.

Quick420
11-24-05, 11:46 AM
If you go to add/remove programs uninstall Nvidia SW/IDE you will go back to the default M$crosoft IDE driver so dont worry you can always go back...dont worry about rolling back drivers...thats for noobs.My system restore option hasnt been turned on in over 2 yrs of using Xp.If you need system restore,you really should learn more about O/S's.

The easiest way of installing only the Ide driver is to unpack the whole package using winrar to a folder....in this folder delete the audio-ethernet-smgart etc folders everything except the Ide folder then run install.The installer will only find the Ide driver and therefore only install that driver,AND if you so desire use the rollback feature if you encounter troubles.

Peoples-Agent
11-24-05, 12:12 PM
In x64 what are the best performing set would you say?

j0j081
11-24-05, 10:16 PM
In x64 what are the best performing set would you say?
I am using a combo of the 6.69 set and 6.67 found at guru3d

iyos
11-24-05, 10:50 PM
I upgraded to an NF4 mobo just today, and have been wondering about which drivers to use.

When I installed XP and tried to load the SATA drivers (pressing F6) my install would blue screen (I tried the floppy that came with mobo (DFI Lanparty UT SLI-D) and the driver disk in the extracted 6.70 nF4 set). Oddly enough, XP installed without loading the special sata drivers. This worries me - will I lose performance? I have a WD Raptor 74GB and Seagate Baracuda 200GB (no raid).

I ran the full NF 6.70 setup when I got into XP:

nvatabus: 5.10.2600.552

Some help/advice would be appreciated!

Peoples-Agent
11-25-05, 02:10 AM
I am using a combo of the 6.69 set and 6.67 found at guru3d

Main concern is the SATA drivers to be honest.
Using the 6.69 version?

j0j081
11-25-05, 07:12 AM
no i am using the one from 6.67 cause it seems slightly faster.

iyos
11-25-05, 08:28 AM
Whats the name of the SATA driver?

Idoru
11-26-05, 05:42 AM

OK did it, copied new versions to Windows/system32/drivers folder and also Windows/OEMdir folder as there were copies in there too (backed up previous *.sys files in a folder on the desktop)... nvraid.sys and natabus.sys now both showing up as 5.52... however under Device Manager when I right click on nVidia nForce RAID Class Controller, driver version displayed is still 4.82... any way to get this to report the correct version - I guess it requires another file to be copied across from the 6.70 package.

rdhw
11-26-05, 09:02 AM
nvraid.sys and natabus.sys now both showing up as 5.52... however under Device Manager when I right click on nVidia nForce RAID Class Controller, driver version displayed is still 4.82The version number displayed by Device Manager is derived from the .INF file that guided the official installer. It is not changed when files are updated behind its back.

radekhulan
11-26-05, 04:22 PM
This worries me - will I lose performance? I have a WD Raptor 74GB and Seagate Baracuda 200GB (no raid).

NVIDIA drivers are a must if you want to use SATA-II features like NCQ. FOr NCQ to work, both hard-drive and OS must support it, thus with native Microsoft IDE drivers your HDD performance will be limited.

j0j081
11-27-05, 07:08 AM
I don't have SATA-II features but my bootup seems a lot faster with the Nvidia driver I have no idea why.

iyos
11-27-05, 08:01 PM
NVIDIA drivers are a must if you want to use SATA-II features like NCQ. FOr NCQ to work, both hard-drive and OS must support it, thus with native Microsoft IDE drivers your HDD performance will be limited.

Thanks fo the info! Is there any way I can update the driver to an existing XP install, or do I have to re-install XP again?

radekhulan
11-28-05, 08:46 AM
Thanks fo the info! Is there any way I can update the driver to an existing XP install, or do I have to re-install XP again?

You should be able to manually update IDE driver to NVIDIA one via Device Manager.

iyos
11-28-05, 11:25 AM
You should be able to manually update IDE driver to NVIDIA one via Device Manager.

I tried updating the drivers for the two listed HDD's and pointed them to the Nvidia drivers but it said its not compatible for the hardware :(

radekhulan
11-28-05, 12:47 PM
I tried updating the drivers for the two listed HDD's and pointed them to the Nvidia drivers but it said its not compatible for the hardware :(

Which driver have you tried? NFORCE 6.70? And which driver directory?

What I do is copy all files under NFORCE_DRIVER/IDE/WinXP/legacy, NFORCE_DRIVER/IDE/WinXP/sata_ide and NFORCE_DRIVER/IDE/WinXP/sata_raid (in reverse order, overwriting existing files) into a temp dir, and install from that dir. It works then for me..

iyos
11-28-05, 11:03 PM
Which driver have you tried? NFORCE 6.70? And which driver directory?

What I do is copy all files under NFORCE_DRIVER/IDE/WinXP/legacy, NFORCE_DRIVER/IDE/WinXP/sata_ide and NFORCE_DRIVER/IDE/WinXP/sata_raid (in reverse order, overwriting existing files) into a temp dir, and install from that dir. It works then for me..

Ok, I did that: extracted sata raid, ide then legacy into the same folder. Now what? :) If I try and update drivers via Disk Drives (under device manager) I still get an error message.

Do I right click the inf's and install that way?

Sorry for being a pain in the ass, I appreciate your help :)

Edit: Found it...

Device Manager | IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers -> NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller.

Driver version is 5.10.2600.552 (18/08/2005)