PDA

View Full Version : Decision between two wireless routers.

nas82
11-24-05, 10:48 PM
Hi

I've asked this at a few other places and i would like you guys input on it.

I'm looking at the D-Link 634M MIMO router and the Linksys WRT54GX/2 MIMO router.

I hear good things and bad things about both. I hear that the Airgo chipset on the linksys will be the official chipset of Pre N.

But then again, the Atheros chip of D-Link i heard might be the official chipset.

The D-link has a much better price so it makes it more affordable.

So, in you guys opinion, what is the better router?

CaptNKILL
11-24-05, 11:31 PM
Dont know a whole lot about either, but in the past, Ive known D-Links to have more problems. Where I work, we always end up reverting back to Linksys networking devices when our D-Link crap doesnt work.

Again, I dont know anything about those ones specifically. This is just my past experience with both brands.

Absolution
11-25-05, 01:53 AM
Dont know a whole lot about either, but in the past, Ive known D-Links to have more problems. Where I work, we always end up reverting back to Linksys networking devices when our D-Link crap doesnt work.

Again, I dont know anything about those ones specifically. This is just my past experience with both brands.
i had the exact opposite experience

ive sold two linksys routers for 10$ days after i bought them...
neither could hold anyone in games

nas82
11-25-05, 09:20 AM
See, this is why I can't decide which to buy, stories like this. :confused:

mullet
11-25-05, 10:23 AM
There is no hard choice here, Linksys. I worked in a support center and I have to say the D-link routers we had more problems but the Linksys routers worked like a champ.

wheeljack12
11-25-05, 12:14 PM
I can attest also that Dlink is not a good router. I had their 4100 wired and 4300 wireless gaming router. Mainly for the wireless and the wired internal gigabit networking as I could have bought a regular router anytime. Their gaming routers won't allow print servers to be used (allow print jobs through or recognize the print server in DHCP) with either of the routers. And regular older models couldn't keep a connection. Netgear is no good either. Their web pages in their routers are slow or not able to load. I only go with Linksys with most of my networking now. The only exception as of late is Asus' gigabit wired router.

saturnotaku
11-25-05, 12:18 PM
While I've never used their routers, I can attest to the quality of Linksys wireless PCI cards. They're reliable, have good drivers and always keep me connected to my network. They may cost a little more, but the peace of mind is well worth it.

And wheeljack, you need to shorten your signature. Shrink the font and put the items next to each other, separated by a |. Thanks.

Scott@Bjorn3D
11-25-05, 12:25 PM
Well I have the Linksys and it works great with the 5 machines I have running thru it. Heck at the moment I have not been able to get a wiring guy to come to the new house to get my cable modem in my office so I am running off the wireless just fine. Have not had any problems with online gaming with it.

Scott

Shamrock
11-25-05, 10:09 PM
I had a Netgear Wireless router, and it absolutely sucked. It's relevant, because it uses the same chipset AND mobo as D-Link. I have since switched to Linksys WRT54G and it works great. Even through 3 walls, I still get 54mbps. It's even working with the netgear wireless cards.

rek075
11-25-05, 10:14 PM
Get the WRT54G or WRT54GS. There is a large community for it that involves custom firmware. You'd be surprised how popular these are.

mx125race
11-25-05, 10:41 PM
I recently bought a WRT54G and 35-52mbps constant. The only reason i get 32 is because of my crappy Dell netwrok cheapo cards. I can have my 3 other computers all online at the same-time without any slow-down. Linksys is great and popular and everyone i know has never had a problem with them. I recommend Lynksys over D-Link. As long as you install it right and make sure your router is working properly, the Linksks should always give 100%.

nas82
11-25-05, 11:10 PM
I will need this router to be able to give out a good signal for about 100feet and through a few walls. Think the WRT54G/S will provide this for me?

Absolution
11-26-05, 03:03 AM
I can attest also that Dlink is not a good router. I had their 4100 wired and 4300 wireless gaming router. Mainly for the wireless and the wired internal gigabit networking as I could have bought a regular router anytime. Their gaming routers won't allow print servers to be used (allow print jobs through or recognize the print server in DHCP) with either of the routers. And regular older models couldn't keep a connection. Netgear is no good either. Their web pages in their routers are slow or not able to load. I only go with Linksys with most of my networking now. The only exception as of late is Asus' gigabit wired router.
i have the 4300 and ive had no problems so far - most stable router ive ever owned (but i dont use printersevers... so..)

i agree on the netgear part though, i had the rg614 (i think that was the model name) and it had constant dns issues (but my webpages did load very fast when they did load...)

idk... it all depends on the model i guess, i know people who swear by linksys and i know people (like myself) whos had problems that just dont end
same thing goes for any router imo...

id go by individual models instead of just one company

but i can say for a fact that i dont have any problems with my 4300

j0j081
11-26-05, 07:19 AM
d-link is pretty weak. i would go with netgear over them but yeah Linksys seems to be the best lately.

Shamrock
11-27-05, 10:16 PM
I will need this router to be able to give out a good signal for about 100feet and through a few walls. Think the WRT54G/S will provide this for me?

my WRT54G goes through 2 walls, with 2 TVs between them, and my sister gets medium signal. @ about 40 ft

mx125race
11-27-05, 10:30 PM
the computer farthest from where my linksys wireless router is at my hardwired pc is seperated by 4 walls and 2 TV's, and the room with that pc has a tv. one of the older laptops upstairs with an old network card still gets 54mbps. i love router =)

100 ft. away, you may not get the best speed but you still should get great signal and no drop-offs unless the router is faulty because linksys is pretty rock-solid. try to place the router in an area where it is somewhat in between the rest of the computers...

Scott@Bjorn3D
11-28-05, 04:39 AM

Make sure to get the MIMO version and it will work fine.

nas82
11-28-05, 12:00 PM
I just found the Belkin Pre N router for $80 bucks along with the Belkin Pre N PCI card for $80 bucks as well, with a $15 discount.

Woo, going to be awesome.

Ordered. Be here next week.

wheeljack12
11-28-05, 07:54 PM
when i was talking about web pages on the netgear, I mean adminstration pages for the router itself. They took forever to load and sometimes would time out.