PDA

View Full Version : Projectors..I need words of wisdom

FearMeAll
11-25-05, 11:39 AM
Hey everyone, if you remember I posted this ye old thread about gaming on an hdtv http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59027&highlight=gaming+hdtv+great
Well I have to be honest about something, even with the best hookups and finest dvi cables it is not as clear for text as I would like it to be, and most PC games require razor sharp clarity. I already unhooked that hdtv and am back on my lcd monitor at the moment. (also most pc games run and look best with a 4:3 aspect ratio) I'm seriously considering just building a completely new rig apart from my current one and hook a projector up to it. I'm buying a house next year and I'm gonna make a custom room with couches, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, wireless controllers and put a projector hanging from the ceiling to make a whole wall a screen.
I know there are people on this forum that have used projectors and know which ones are the best for this kind of situation. I went on newegg and looked around but I still can't be sure if these will be the clarity I want. This custom room I plan on will probably not have a window so it will be pitch black in there. What would be your dream projector and which ones have the absolute best color quality?
Most of them seem to do 1024x768 resolution and this is great but is this resolution sharp enough to see all the text just like on a monitor? Also how many feet wide can these things project and still look great?
Thanks for everyone's help in advance. ;)

Infinity666
11-25-05, 02:14 PM
Text should be clearly visible up to at least 10 feet away at 1024x768

This should provide excellent picture qaulity and color and is hd compatible up to
1080i.

It has 4:3 native aspect but is 16:9 compatible *imo 16:9 is far superior for gaming

If you have the money I highly recomend this --->

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824219008

bramski
11-25-05, 05:13 PM
Sanyo Z3 or panasonic AE-700 all the way, both do 720p and are priced at under £800. I wouldn't touch that optoma with a bargepole.

FearMeAll
11-25-05, 05:31 PM
Text should be clearly visible up to at least 10 feet away at 1024x768

This should provide excellent picture qaulity and color and is hd compatible up to
1080i.

It has 4:3 native aspect but is 16:9 compatible *imo 16:9 is far superior for gaming

If you have the money I highly recomend this --->

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824219008
I agree about 16x9 being superior but I certainly do like to have 4:3 as an opton for older games. on my hdtv it would squish those that I could not FOV hack.
WOW i see the screen can go up to 300" and is 3000 lumens.. goodness gracious this is the kind of thing I'm lookin' for! I have to money to buy it but I'm at a tough point right now because I am going to be working out of town for the next couple weeks.. gonna have to wait.
I will put in my wish list though. I think this is the one I will get.

bugmage
11-26-05, 07:43 AM
im building a diy projector res 1200x1024, 8ms response, 700:1

case - $150
lcd - $200
bulb $30-
ballest $70-
lenses $70-
i bought a wiring kit $20
fan $10
anti uv filter $10

total

$560, now i got my lcd and case for free so it was only $210 for me, when im done screen should be 150-200 inchs diaganal

and oh yes then its fear time baby!

FearMeAll
11-27-05, 09:32 AM
alright I went up to best buy just planning to buy a gamecube game and I walked out with this http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-EzPro_739.htm
an Optoma ezpro739. I using it as my current monitor as I type this message. I set it up in my pc room and am pretty much projecting in on a wall. I think the thing is razor sharp and games look really good. But I have a question, would getting a fancy screen to put this thing on help with the color saturation. Currently if I play in a dark area of a game it looks fantastic. But if hdr hits hit and the screen gets very bright it washes out all the colors. My whole room prety much lights up as well. I have no light coming in my room but all the walls are white so I think it's reflecting like hell and washing it out.
If I get a fancy screen from http://www.saaria.com/ will it make the colors richer in bright areas?

Sazar
11-27-05, 10:39 AM
If its a good dlp with ~2000 lumens or better, you should be fine. There are a lot of projectors on the market which are pretty excellent. My friend simply runs the Dell 4100 and it kicks ass for everything we play (xbox/co-op for halo/halo 2 and for multiplayer) as well as for movies.

The only thing is you kinda have to have a darkened room for it to be clear-ish. If not for that, I would have jumped on the bandwagon a LONG time ago.

Q
11-28-05, 11:34 PM
Does anyone know of a decent projector that doesn't require several hundred dollar bulbs? I see the max life on a lot of these things is 3000 hours in "low" mode. Thats not really a whole lot of time for something that I would use almost every day as a semi-primary display.

Anything in the sub 100 range?

bugmage
11-29-05, 09:52 AM
if you build your own the blubs used only cost 30-40 each(snowman)

Q
11-29-05, 10:02 AM
I've seen that article at Toms about using an overhead projector, but it just seems that it would be a little clunky, big, and ugly.

Do you have a better method than Tomshardware?

Sazar
11-29-05, 11:49 AM
The better bulbs just cost more. Its the way it is.

If you are a DIY kinda guy, you might find some deals but costs are higher.

Now if you see the really good projectors in action, you will see why.