PDA

View Full Version : Specific TV Tuner Questions

six_storm
11-25-05, 02:36 PM
Hello everyone. I am about to move away to attend another college and finally be out on my own (thank God) with 2 good friends in an apartment. Due to the lack of funds, I will not be able to have cable TV so I thought I would do a little research in TV Tuner cards. The only thing I really require is that the tuner card be capable of HD (HD local channels) and a remote. With that said, I looked at this ATI HD card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116310

I also looked at some bundles at PCAlchemy.com but they don't have anything HD capable.

The reason I decided to make another thread is because I wanted to know what would be best for my setup, especially using a 2005FPW. Here are some questions I have:

1. If I were to buy that ATI card, would it work great with my NV 7800GT? Also, what resolution would it put out on my monitor? Would it be enough to fill the entire screen?

2. Are there any other TV tuner cards capable of HD and that come with an antenna? Which ones are better than that ATI card above?

3. Is it worth getting XP MCE and should I do it?

Any help would be great, I really appreciate it! Thanks.

j0j081
11-26-05, 06:21 AM
I can't suggest an HD tuner but for normal tv the one in my sig is great. I don't know if there will be an HD version forthcoming. As for software, instead of getting XP MCE I would recommend Beyond TV 4. It just came out and has a bunch of HD features. There is a trial.

Elderblaze
11-27-05, 03:37 AM
The high end ATI solution uses a better chip then the best Hauppage cards.. I own a PVR250 myself.. the software sucks, and the video files are massive MPEG 2's. The quality is quite good assuming you have a clean signal.. it's very unforgiving of dirty cable.

2.. It displays an image at TV resolution (240x320 i think..) and then scales that to whatever resolution your monitor is.. it uses line doubling technology.. the effect works pretty well.

3. Don't know of any Regular cable and Hi Def tuners..

4. Windows MCE.. whats that? (j/k) I just get a good software app and don't waste your time.

Regards,
Mike

ricercar
11-27-05, 11:03 AM
Windows MCE actually roxors for home theatre pc. Don't dis what you don't know.

superklye
11-27-05, 11:16 AM
I'd ask BrianG (I think it was him) about the ATI HD tuner card...I think he had a pretty terrible experience with it and every review I've read of it said the drivers and software were atrocious.

And, while I'm not condoning this, but I'm assuming you're going to have cable internet at your apartment, right? All it takes is a $5 splitter from Radio Shack and you've got cable internet and cable TV...

Sazar
11-27-05, 11:32 AM
Hello everyone. I am about to move away to attend another college and finally be out on my own (thank God) with 2 good friends in an apartment. Due to the lack of funds, I will not be able to have cable TV so I thought I would do a little research in TV Tuner cards. The only thing I really require is that the tuner card be capable of HD (HD local channels) and a remote. With that said, I looked at this ATI HD card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116310

I also looked at some bundles at PCAlchemy.com but they don't have anything HD capable.

The reason I decided to make another thread is because I wanted to know what would be best for my setup, especially using a 2005FPW. Here are some questions I have:

1. If I were to buy that ATI card, would it work great with my NV 7800GT? Also, what resolution would it put out on my monitor? Would it be enough to fill the entire screen?

The card would work just fine. The native resolution is usually 640x480 or so but you can easily fill the screen. It looks a little more pixelated close up (for obvious reason) but from a regular distance it is actually pretty good quality, at least on my setup :D

2. Are there any other TV tuner cards capable of HD and that come with an antenna? Which ones are better than that ATI card above?

I am sure there are now, I think the ati one has probably the best all around package and price though, plus it has been around a lot longer. It is not perfect but it is a good solution. I think a coupla people here, incl. Brian have one.

3. Is it worth getting XP MCE and should I do it?

Any help would be great, I really appreciate it! Thanks.

MCE is a great OS. If you can get it, its an excellent option. You don't really loose any functionality (cept for domain joining in the default setup). Other tools like ATi's MMC have been doing a lot of the same stuff as MCE for a while but MCE has some nice features such as red-eye reduction for pictures and things like that. Support for that is not natively built into MCE but it is still pretty excellent for my purposes at least.

GuidePlus+ is not quite as good as the program guide for MCE but both are free and it does its job reasonably well.

Bottom line, yes, get MCE if you can, it is a nice o/s and very good media functionality, or you can simply go with MMC from ati which is also very good.

BrianG
11-27-05, 11:34 AM
HDTV Wonder = Pain

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57367&highlight=hdtv

six_storm
11-27-05, 04:12 PM
I'd ask BrianG (I think it was him) about the ATI HD tuner card...I think he had a pretty terrible experience with it and every review I've read of it said the drivers and software were atrocious.

And, while I'm not condoning this, but I'm assuming you're going to have cable internet at your apartment, right? All it takes is a $5 splitter from Radio Shack and you've got cable internet and cable TV...

Oh and I guess you have done this before? Haha. I dunno if that works or not but yeah, I'm getting cable internet.

Thanks for the heads up BrianG. I just wouldnt mind having some local channels in my apartment bedroom, so why not get the OTA HD channels? I would like to have my rig able to do things such as discussed but I think it would be a pain in the butt to have to reinstall the OS (MCE) and fool around with that ATI card. I've seen some pretty bad reviews of it myself, especially when you have a NVIDIA video card. Guess I'll just keep looking around . . .

superklye
11-27-05, 05:08 PM
Oh and I guess you have done this before? Haha. I dunno if that works or not but yeah, I'm getting cable internet.
Heh, well, see...we get a deal at Marquette where we get internet for $34/mo and can get basic cable for an additional $8/mo from Time Warner (instead of like $70+ total for both).

Last year, we got the whole package and they just came over and made sure the outside lines were all connected and came inside. They went to the port in the house, put like a 1ft coaxial cable on, then a splitter and said to hook one end up to the modem and the other to the TV.

So this year, we're saving the $8/mo. :D

six_storm
11-27-05, 09:31 PM
Haha, wow $8 a month. Maybe I'll try that and see what happens.

Elderblaze
11-28-05, 03:42 AM
The Hauppage software and drivers are honestly quite aweful too. They are functional but not intuitive or pretty. The Hardware in the ati card is definatly better, but if the software is not functional it's useless I guess. There really is no killer tv solution. It's all give and take. Fortunatly most cards are compaitible with 3rd party software. Though cards with Hardware mpeg2 encoders tend to have the least support. For years, there was no 3rd party support at all, luckily that's changed a bit.

Regards,
Mike

Edit: To make it clear, I was not talking about the HDTV card that is reviewed above but ATI's regular TV Tuner/Encoder.

j0j081
11-28-05, 05:29 AM
The Hauppage software and drivers are honestly quite aweful too. They are functional but not intuitive or pretty. The Hardware in the ati card is definatly better, but if the software is not functional it's useless I guess. There really is no killer tv solution. It's all give and take. Fortunatly most cards are compaitible with 3rd party software. Though cards with Hardware mpeg2 encoders tend to have the least support. For years, there was no 3rd party support at all, luckily that's changed a bit.

Regards,
Mike

Edit: To make it clear, I was not talking about the HDTV card that is reviewed above but ATI's regular TV Tuner/Encoder.
I don't know about that. IMO and from what I've read at tv tuner review sites Hauppage is one of the best, the software sucks but that's why above I recommended BeyondTV 4 or perhaps SageTV. I haven't seen much good feedback about the ATI cards from all standpoints.