PDA

View Full Version : need help deciding on two presents...for MYSELF!!!

j0j081
11-26-05, 07:24 AM
Well time to start xmas shopping, for myself that is. :) Anyway two things I want this year that I haven't been able to make up my mind on...a new mouse for gaming, and a cheap but decent pair of headphones.

Mouse G5, G7, or Copperhead??? (current mx 700)
Headhones (I don't know jack about these but I'm using a $20 Sony pair right now) price range $50-$100

Thanks for any input on this very important matter. :angel:

Peoples-Agent
11-26-05, 08:35 AM
Tell you something, I have never found a mouse better than the very first original Boomslang! I was destroyed when that broke lol

mx125race
11-26-05, 11:24 AM
Hmmm.. Sennheiser makes good headphones. I have a pair of Logitech Precision's and they were like $30 and they are nice with 40mm drivers and a mic. Very comfortable, too. I heard the copperhead is real nice.

Smokey
11-26-05, 12:21 PM
Well I can post you feedback on the mouse, I just upgraded from a MX700 to a G7. The reason I went with the G7 and not the G5, is that once having a cordless mouse, I will never go back to a wired on.

Some points I like about the G7
- Two Li-ion batteries, which keeps the mouse light and no longer have to worry about flat batteries.
- It glides so effortlessy, I use an old standard mouse pad (as its an AMD mouse mat :))
- Battery/DPI indicator on the mouse.
- No lag at all, even when waking up the mouse from idle.

Somethings that have been said against the mouse in reviews and my comments about those.
- Mouse no longer has rubber on the sides, instead it is an all plastic lackered shell, which means it is a little slippery compared to the MX700 or G5, but this hasnt bothered me in games, it doesnt matter which mouse you use, if your hands sweat, you will need to dry them anyways.
- Battery life, has been criticised in many reviews, but why is this a problem when you have two batteries I dont know, certainly isnt a problem for me to take no more than 10 seconds hot swpping the batteries. Battery life for me is about two days for one battery.
- One side button has been removed, as I have small hands, this is rather a plus for me than a minus.

Another thing about the mouse chich suprised me after reading reviews and looking at pics, is the colour. I thought that the green was going to be really green, but instead, its really really dark, almost black (which is good).

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD212 pros, good balance between quality and price, these are closed, and even if someone put their ear to the outside of the headphones while you are using them will not hear anything :p worth looking into, I think I paid about 45 for mine.

PSYCHODAD
11-26-05, 01:16 PM
CNN had some tech gadgets showing today. One of those was a 5.1 surround sound set of headphones that looked to be pretty sweet. I think it was fairly expensive(400+$) and don't recall the brand name.

PSYCHODAD
11-26-05, 01:30 PM
Here's a shortcut to cnn video. Hi- tech holiday gifts
http://news.yahoo.com/video/2460

superklye
11-26-05, 03:09 PM
Bah, keep your $20 sony's, get an X-Fi and bam, you've got 5, 6, or 7.1 surround sound right there.

Roliath
11-26-05, 03:38 PM
hmmm, I'd go with an G7 since I like the feel of the mouse compared to the "slim" (imo) feel of the copperhead.

As for headphones, i'll leave that to the audiophiles on this board. I have a pair of Logitech "Gaming Headset" that have a mic, I only use them when I play BF2 at night and they're okay.

jAkUp
11-26-05, 05:37 PM
Headphones= HD555's
Mouse= Copperhead. (the G5 is more comfortable though IMO)

keith33
11-26-05, 06:21 PM
Headphones= HD555's
Mouse= Copperhead. (the G5 is more comfortable though IMO)

I agree. But having recently sold my G5 recently, I find the Copperhead MUCH more comfortable to the G5. I felt like my hand was always falling off the G5 and couldn't really get "into" a game. Also it took slightly longer to click any buttons on the G5 in comparison and that's the difference between a headshot or getting owned. I think this is because I have relatively small hands, so if you don't have huge hands I think you'd be better off with the Razer.

j0j081
11-27-05, 07:05 AM
hmm. well for the mouse I guess I've narrowed it down the the G7 and Copperhead. I suppose it would be dumb to go from wireless to wired with Logitech. I will have to try those out in a store and make my final decision. Sennheiser was the brand I had in mind for headphones but I forgot the name last night when writing this. What is the best set in my price range? The one jakup suggested? Superkyle I already have 5.1 speakers but these are for late night when I can't be making a lot of noise like rapid gunfine or a dvd I'm watching.

Smokey
11-27-05, 04:31 PM
The best place for headphone info in your price range, read the head.fi forums (http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=2)

123lanoix
11-28-05, 05:50 PM
i got the seneheiser 497 HD I LOVE THESE Headphones THEY ROCK
they only cost me 50 bucks i got a sweet deal on them

i can't imagine what the 555 HD ares i hear theres a deal you can get em for 100 bucks online somewhere check bens bargains . i dunno be careful if you need something at uses that mini jack some of the higher end senshiers only sport the bigger jack i only have a audigy so i have to use the mini jack and it still sounds phonemal no matter what i plug these things into its awesome for BF2 also highly recommend them for headphones can't go wrong with any model # for a mouse i got a sweet deal on a mx1000 cost me 39.99 with easy rebate at staples its sweet rechargable batteries very accurate